Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally Did It - Gel Coat Scratch Repair

Well, after 6 years of ownership I finally did it and came in a little too hot on Friday and hit the pier.  I put 2 decent sized scratches - 2-3 inches in length each - in the gel coat (not down to the fiberglass).  I tried compounding polish on it and it helped a little but not completely back to my liking.  The color somewhat was filled in, but you can definitely still see it and feel it when you run your fingers over it.   Being the rest of the boat is near perfect, I would like to repair this. 

Suggestions?  Should I try a couple rounds of polish?  Should I get a gel repair kit?  I forgot to snap a picture before I put the cover on, but will get one when I get home from work if it's not raining.

TIA

2 hours ago, DAI said:

Well, after 6 years of ownership I finally did it and came in a little too hot on Friday and hit the pier.  I put 2 decent sized scratches - 2-3 inches in length each - in the gel coat (not down to the fiberglass).  I tried compounding polish on it and it helped a little but not completely back to my liking.  The color somewhat was filled in, but you can definitely still see it and feel it when you run your fingers over it.   Being the rest of the boat is near perfect, I would like to repair this. 

Suggestions?  Should I try a couple rounds of polish?  Should I get a gel repair kit?  I forgot to snap a picture before I put the cover on, but will get one when I get home from work if it's not raining.

TIA

i just did 4 gel repairs last week with spectrum gel coat but using a brush and not spraying, 3 including bondo glass first , biggest PIA and super labor intensive with multiple redos in same spot, live with it !!!!!!

3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

i just did 4 gel repairs last week with spectrum gel coat but using a brush and not spraying, 3 including bondo glass first , biggest PIA and super labor intensive with multiple redos in same spot, live with it !!!!!!

Not sure if my OCD will let me live with it.  If I can't do it myself, I'd at least get it quoted to make the decision to leave it as is on a 6 year old boat.

its not the last mark you will put on your boat 

i put a new one on my boat two weekends ago,  buffed it out , only i can see it looking at boat down the hull line, no one else will

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 weeks later...

Took some polish by hand to it today when washing and waxing the boat today.  Better, but still not where I want it.  Come fall probably work it some more . . .

A little hard to see with the trees casting shadows.

20200701_182006.jpg

20200701_182013.jpg

I can’t even really see anything there - just forget about it and enjoy it.  Sometimes it’s a relief to get the first small scratch so you can stop obsessing over keeping it showroom new. 😜

• Like 1

i saw it in pics but that is definitely not a use new gelcoat repair item, thats a buff and  polish scar only, get used to it!