Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford Fosgate Bluetooth Issues

Chadlkg

Have a 14’ Wakesetter MXZ with the Fosgate stereo. Just purchased and cannot for the life of me Bluetooth my phone to it. It apparently has a Bluetooth dongle but when going through Modes BT doesn’t even pop up. Any ideas? I have an IPhone X if that helps!  Thx in advance!

Edited by Chadlkg
ahopkins22LSV

The RF Bluetooth never really worked well in any boat in my experience. I added the exile Bluetooth adapter and it was one of the best things I did for that stereo. Worked perfect every single time. The JL is basically the exact same too. 

https://www.bakesonline.com/exile-audio-premium-bluetooth-receiver.html?ff=1&fp=1538&gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTQ9Eq43Rt_cl16IYs4zePQsbY3QSG0bT5yoopohgwu-CNuqkS2mXahoClqUQAvD_BwE

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13691126/JL-Audio-MBT-RX.html

I dumped my RF head unit for the same reasons.  I put in a JL MM100. Big upgrade for sure, but the volume knob is right where you’d put your hand to steer. Had to tilt the wheel down, helped a little bit. 

326E3839-8661-40DA-8CFC-E0868F43420B.jpeg

On 6/21/2020 at 6:08 PM, Chadlkg said:

Have a 14’ Wakesetter MXZ with the Fosgate stereo. Just purchased and cannot for the life of me Bluetooth my phone to it. It apparently has a Bluetooth dongle but when going through Modes BT doesn’t even pop up. Any ideas? I have an IPhone X if that helps!  Thx in advance!

Are you sure you have the dongle?  There is a option on the head unit, but it doesn't always come with the actual dongle.  I had to buy mine separately.  There is a thread floating around here where I put the link to buy it.  (should be this one https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Quest-Audio-Video/292-101461.html)

Contrary to what ahopkins said, I think the dongle works well (at least on my boat).  The RF dongle allows me to change tracks- a function you lose with the exile/JL adapter.   

I will say that I love the exile BT adapter-  I converted it for use in my car and the sound quality is excellent.

Hope this helps! 

26 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Are you sure you have the dongle?  There is a option on the head unit, but it doesn't always come with the actual dongle.  I had to buy mine separately.  There is a thread floating around here where I put the link to buy it.  (should be this one https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Quest-Audio-Video/292-101461.html)

Contrary to what ahopkins said, I think the dongle works well (at least on my boat).  The RF dongle allows me to change tracks- a function you lose with the exile/JL adapter.   

I will say that I love the exile BT adapter-  I converted it for use in my car and the sound quality is excellent.

Hope this helps! 

if you have to use your phone to control tracks vs the BT with controls that sucks, my WS BT rocker switch is full controls and instantly connects to phone when turned on   

4 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

if you have to use your phone to control tracks vs the BT with controls that sucks, my WS BT rocker switch is full controls and instantly connects to phone when turned on   

Sorry- let me clarify- "Change tracks with the head unit and the transom remote".  The Exile/JL adapter requires using the phone to change tracks.

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 7:44 AM, hunter77ah said:

Hope this helps! 

I'm at the point of deciding on exile adapter on my current RFX3000 or etrailer dongle (which I already have but could return) and getting a RFX4000,for $200.  What is the best route to go with upgrading the bluetooth connection for sound and convenience?

oops looked at your 04 vlx old boat, sorry, ignore below

your dash has rocker switch bays i think? in fact a stereo acc labeled switch as well you can use

WS BT RS transceiver...........

Edited by granddaddy55