Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop shaft cooling question

If I own it, I have to understand it. Inboards are still very new to me, coming from am outdrive. Running my 07 vlx with the fake a lake, I noticed the steady water coming from the shaft connection to the hull. I have read/researched all the articles on dripless shafts, packing shafts, etc... I can to my best understanding. Still have a few questions:

1. Easiest way for me to identify my shaft water cooling (dripless or not?).

2. Assume the water on the prop shaft in a norm. On the hull for cooling shaft. Just concern about water coming inside the boat, right?

3. Leaving the boat docked in water for first time this week. Will be docked without a hoist for 4 days at the lake, what should I check to ensure all is operating properly to avoid sinking? 

I've had it out a few times. Boat does not seem to take on any water after 8 hours (I've randomly even turned bilge on for safety check, always dry). 

TIA crew

19 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

#3 - Bilge pump.  They clog.  I am replacing mine this year.  I also use a bilge alarm as my boat is moored offshore.

This I'm with 100%. One of the first things I did was purposely placing water and ensuring both pumped out efficiently. 

I'm not used to all the ballast inlets. Along with the water cooled inlet directly on the boat. Bow thinking about the prop shaft seal. :boat:

Prop shaft seal failure would have to be catastrophic to overwhelm the bilge pump.  I like the alarm though - plus I've set it up as a drift alarm to notify me if the mooring fails.  Which actually happened once to me!  (Long story)

If you have water coming out of the shaft when it's on the fake a lake, you definitely have a water cooled shaft seal. And they can go bad with catastrophic results. Fortunately rare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

normal fir my ‘14, assuming same for yours,  remove tranny cover when in water running snd look underneath vdrive to see if zero or extra slow drip,  if you have clear water hose to shaft then you know water running out underneath is ok