Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you add salt water package a year later?

3 hours ago, weekender said:

Can you add salt water package after a year?

If you have a boat that you now plan to use in salt water, it should be possible to add a heat exchanger and convert to a half-closed system.  That would cover a large portion of your potential troubles.  Some things still won't last as long, but the big ticket item is then covered.

Finding an exchanger that will handle your engine and still fit into the space available may take some research.  Which boat/engine are you talking about?

7 minutes ago, weekender said:

I currently have an m5i. Wondering if it is some thing that is able to be done by a dealer and how much it may be

M5 is partial closed cooled... so at least the expensive part is already done.  Not sure what else you would need... maybe some zincs and the flush port would be handy.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, csleaver said:

The bonding harness will likely be the most difficult thing to add to the boat.

Please explain.  Are they bonding everything to the engine, and adding a zinc anode underwater? 

The bonding harness connects the engine block, and thus the battery ground, to all metal items that will come in contact with the sea water (things like your running gear, steering, wedge, annodes, thru-hull fittings, etc)

7 hours ago, csleaver said:

The bonding harness connects the engine block, and thus the battery ground, to all metal items that will come in contact with the sea water (things like your running gear, steering, wedge, annodes, thru-hull fittings, etc)

Thanks.  That's what I pictured.  I didn't do any of that when I added my heat exchanger.  I did add a zinc on the prop shaft.  I checked the wedge carefully when I removed it last year, but I haven't checked the platform brackets.  I don't leave the boat in the water, but I do understand that the damage is cumulative.