Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T23 check engine light on test drive

We test drove a new 2020 T23 yesterday.  Awesome boat.  I am completely sold on the T23.  However, about an hour into the test drive, a check engine light came on.  The dealer reset the battery and attempted to make it happen again.  Check engine light came on 3 times then we went in.  

They read the error code back at the dealership and said it was the recurrence of an inactive misfire engine code.  They ran it again at the dealership after clearing the inactive codes and said there was no issue.  The owner said he will take back on the water to make sure its OK.  Offered to let us take it out again before finalizing anything.  Dealer said it may just be a fluke.

This is the last boat available in my area. We will have to order the 2021 if we don't go with this one.  This is our first boat, but if I test drove a car and had a check engine light, I wouldn't even consider it.  Thoughts?

Actually dealer and owner are same person...sorry, made it seems like it was a used boat.  Owner of the dealership is what I should have said.  Honest guy, just don't want to have to deal with any headaches on a brand new boat.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, Boat40 said:

Actually dealer and owner are same person...sorry, made it seems like it was a used boat.  Owner of the dealership is what I should have said.  Honest guy, just don't want to have to deal with any headaches on a brand new boat.  

Well you will never really know until you own for a while but obviously the CEL isn’t a good thing.  Could be a fluke or could be serious.  

If you like the boat go ahead a buy it.  It’s under warranty and hoping the dealership is somewhat close and are good people.   

It seems like some people have lots of issues with new boats while other have no issues.  It’s hit or miss.  If you wait to order a 2021 it could be headache and this boat might just have a few kinks to work out...most do in the first 50 or do hours.  

Right now the factory is cranking out 21 boats a day (so I’ve been told) demand  is really high...so build quality could be an issue or you might get perfect, we’ll built boat.  Only one way to find out...

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX

A couple things to consider. How important is it for you to have a boat right now? Availability is obviously an issue everywhere. Are you settling for the first boat you have seen or the only boat that is available? Either might end up to be a bad thing later on. The CEL could come back to haunt you for weeks based on the dealers maintenance back log.  Or, you may never have another problem with the boat for the rest of your ownership. Like "Red" said, it is hit or miss and it will not be limited to just this boat or MY or any manufacturer. My '10 never saw the dealership after the sale. My '19 has been down there 3 times for warranty work at 16 and 50 hours and at the end of the last season for fiberglass repair from damage during the build process. I am at 230 hours now and think things have finally been sorted out. The point being is if you like it, buy it. If it isn't making you all warm and fuzzy wait a while so you can get what you really want. JM2C

• Like 2

2019 lsv been at the dealer 2 times with 30 hours on the boat.  Still throwing codes, but they are “too busy” to check it for two weeks. There goes the summer! I’m using it and hoping to not get stranded. Frustrating!!