Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A24 Wake- help please!

Claire1000

Hi. We just traded our 2016 A22 for a 2020 A24. We loved the wake on our 22. Just factory setup.

We only surf. 

With our 24s first outing yesterday I was pretty disappointed. The wake definitely needs help to be on par with the 22. Just a factory setup again. We tried from 10.9-11.4 on speed. We tried the power wedge at 1,2,3,4. 

Water about 30’. We can go deeper or shallower some if it would help  

The wave seemed a bit smaller but mostly the pocket was just so small. We had 6 adults. Factory tanks and sacks full. 

We tried sitting in the bow, on surf side, on non surf side. 

We are definitely still figuring the boat out, but so would love some help! Thank you in advance. 

Claire 

Edited by Claire1000

Hi Claire and family!

i just bought my first boat this year (2014 A24) and it is a beast!  We have only surfed also and are still dialing in the wave, both regular and goofy. We’re novice surfers but avid skate and snow boarders so not a new concept for us. 
My friends MC NXT 22 is the only other boat we’ve surfed. That wave had a decent pocket but short with just enough push to keep me going on his doomswell board (I’m 6’1” 190lbs). 
We’ve found that in the A24 all ballast full (with PNPs too) at 9.6 mph with the floating wedge down in 15’ of water created a wave where we could finally find the pocket.  We tried most combos with full or empty bow and center Bags, full or partial rear bags, wedge up & down and speeds between 9 and 11.2... typically we have 2 teens, 2 adults and 2 dogs in the boat.  The wave seems to be too shallow over 10.8 but too short under 9.4. 
I’m  glad another A24 owner is having issues with the surf wave. I thought it was just us! 
Let me know if you find a good setup!

Hi Claire,

I have a 2020 A24 with the M6 motor. I put A LOT of extra weight into my boat. I mainly wakeboard, but the family loves to surf. Both the surf, and wakeboard wake/wave are arguably the biggest I've ever ridden (and I've been on a lot of heavily weighted boats). The A24 wave should blow your A22 wave out of the water, so let's get this figured out.

I would try adding a fatsac to the rear of the boat. The A24 is a huge boat and needs lots of weight to sink it. Have your passengers seat at the rear of the boat as well, towards the surfing side. I would run the wedge on 3 with that weighting setup. 

If you want to really maximize the wave, you'll need to add more weight overall. I have 950 plug and plays in the rear. Under each midship side seats I have 900 lbs of weight (1800lbs total). In the walkway I have 800 lbs of lead. I fill all factory ballast and I run the wedge on 2 for surfing at 11 mph. 

Obviously this is a bit of overkill, but you could pair back keeping the same front to rear weight ratio. 

On 6/21/2020 at 2:57 PM, RyGuyCPA said:
On 6/21/2020 at 6:05 PM, BillyAllen said:

Hi Claire,

I have a 2020 A24 with the M6 motor. I put A LOT of extra weight into my boat. I mainly wakeboard, but the family loves to surf. Both the surf, and wakeboard wake/wave are arguably the biggest I've ever ridden (and I've been on a lot of heavily weighted boats). The A24 wave should blow your A22 wave out of the water, so let's get this figured out.

I would try adding a fatsac to the rear of the boat. The A24 is a huge boat and needs lots of weight to sink it. Have your passengers seat at the rear of the boat as well, towards the surfing side. I would run the wedge on 3 with that weighting setup. 

If you want to really maximize the wave, you'll need to add more weight overall. I have 950 plug and plays in the rear. Under each midship side seats I have 900 lbs of weight (1800lbs total). In the walkway I have 800 lbs of lead. I fill all factory ballast and I run the wedge on 2 for surfing at 11 mph. 

Obviously this is a bit of overkill, but you could pair back keeping the same front to rear weight ratio. 

What are you using for weight in midship lockers ?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just bought a A24 Axis, I do WakeBoard. I've tried to set up the wake with all the ballast but i don't get a nice wave. Does anyone knows which ballast to full and at what wedge point setting? Also what speed is recommended.

Thank You, Isaac.

I have an 2021 A24 with M6 and OJ 1773 prop. 2-4 people on board.

We have 900s in the locker with 150lbs of lead on each side  

200lbs of lead under the wakeview bench.  100lbs behind the captains chair and 100lbs under the observers seat.

150lbs under the bag in the nose.

We fill all bags full except the opposite surf side which is about 2/3-3/4s full.

Run 11-11.5 with wedge at 4.  RPMs at about 35-3600.  We are at 700ish ft elevation.

The gate is just barely submerged while surfing with no over spray to the surf side.

The only thing I’m going to change next year is trying a ACME 2805 prop.

Edited by Dsalyers
36 minutes ago, Dsalyers said:

I have an 2021 A24 with M6 and OJ 1773 prop. 2-4 people on board.

We have 900s in the locker with 150lbs of lead on each side  

200lbs of lead under the wakeview bench.  100lbs behind the captains chair and 100lbs under the observers seat.

150lbs under the bag in the nose.

We fill all bags full except the opposite surf side which is about 2/3-3/4s full.

Run 11-11.5 with wedge at 4.  RPMs at about 35-3600.  We are at 700ish ft elevation.

The gate is just barely submerged while surfing with no over spray to the surf side.

The only thing I’m going to change next year is trying a ACME 2805 prop.

pics?

29 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

pics?

No real great ones.  Not a lot of photographers on the boat.  

Huge Pocket with tons of push.

F61A9604-A888-43C9-B3AF-D9AFCFF98759.jpeg

528FCB33-107E-4ACD-B051-4DA3856C0446.jpeg

Edited by Dsalyers

There is a bit a of list to the boat to keep the surf gate from being washed out. Nothing drastic, but it is noticeable. I’d say it’s between a 3-5 degree roll. 

Edited by Dsalyers

@Joelraurk no I don’t wakeboard anymore. I’m guessing it would be a massive wake and I would need to move the lead out of the rear lockers and put it under observers seat and drivers seat respectively. 

Edited by Dsalyers

Wakeboard wake is pretty awesome with PNP.  My bags are the 865lbs rears and 440 for the front wakemakers brand.  All PNP full and wedge at either 3 or 4.  I don't have any lead but have ran this set up with 600lbs (buddies lead) in the center to help plane when I was running a prop that could barely plane out.  Speed is usually 22-23mph.  Ride at 70-75' and even 80' at times. . . really depends how I feel and time of the season.  Wake is on par with the best out there IMO.  Probably one of the most versatile boats out there from beginners to advanced on wakeboarding.

As far as having issues cleaning both sides up I just either have someone sit somewhere else or just drain a little as needed on either side.  Not that hard to figure out.  I'm not really a picture person as far as telling you anything.  I've seen wakes "look" good but didn't care for them as others "looked" bad but booted you.  Best thing to do is go out there and figure out what works for you.