Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Echelon Cover Suggestions

Jbarry14

I am looking to purchase a cover for my Echelon LX. I am looking at the  covers on Baldmikes website. I would have a local canvas shop alter the cover to fit the tower. I have contacted evolution covers, but they are booked way out and i can't wait that long. Just wondering if anyone has any other better solutions. I have a Monster MTK tower installed on my 1995 echelon LX

10 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Is this for mooring?  On the lift?  Trailering?

I would like a tight fitting cover for trailering. Also for storage while on the trailer. 

I was looking at this option

http://www.rnr-marine.com/Purchase.php?product=Mooring-Cover-Sunbrella-OEM-G1.5&manufacturer=Malibu&model=20+Echelon&yearfrom=1993&yearto=1998

Or the westland cover from Bald Mikes and getting the Hangtyte system with it. I can;t get a carver cover that is tight fitting that does not cover the swim platform.

Either way, I will need to have them altered to fit my tower.

20200620_204817-scaled.jpg

Edited by Jbarry14
3 minutes ago, Jbarry14 said:

I would like a tight fitting cover for trailering. Also for storage while on the trailer. 

I was looking at this option

http://www.rnr-marine.com/Purchase.php?product=Mooring-Cover-Sunbrella-OEM-G1.5&manufacturer=Malibu&model=20+Echelon&yearfrom=1993&yearto=1998

Or the westland cover from Bald Mikes and getting the Hangtyte system with it. I can;t get a carver cover that is tight fitting that does not cover the swim platform.

Either way, I will need to have them altered to fit my tower.

20200620_204817-scaled.jpg

If it says "mooring cover" then your trailering better be limited.  I only have that type and make a couple 20 mile trips a year.  I would not want to be driving long distances with a mooring cover. (BTW, that is a sharp looking boat! :) )

3 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If it says "mooring cover" then your trailering better be limited.  I only have that type and make a couple 20 mile trips a year.  I would not want to be driving long distances with a mooring cover. (BTW, that is a sharp looking boat! :) )

Yeah, the cover i am looking at from bald mikes is a Mooring cover. But it comes with Trailering straps. Just not sure if anyone has purchased a cover from bald mikes. Just want to know how exact the fit is

Just now, Jbarry14 said:

Yeah, the cover i am looking at from bald mikes is a Mooring cover. But it comes with Trailering straps. Just not sure if anyone has purchased a cover from bald mikes. Just want to know how exact the fit is

I have the Westland cover and I am pretty sure it is identical.  There is probably some maquiladora cranking these things out.  With a bunch of straps you can do some light trailering.  But if you are going out a long or on long road trips you should get an Evolution-style cover.

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I have the Westland cover and I am pretty sure it is identical.  There is probably some maquiladora cranking these things out.  With a bunch of straps you can do some light trailering.  But if you are going out a long or on long road trips you should get an Evolution-style cover.

I wanted to get an evolution cover, But he is booked way out until november. Do you have the "Exact Fit" cover? Do you have a photo of it on your boat? I want to get the Sunbrella Westland cover from BaldMikes and then use the Hangtyte system that hooks to the tower to keep the cover tight. 

Yeah, it is the "Exact Fit" (truth in advertizing warning here!  LOL)  I do not have a tower, so it needs a pole support system to keep it taut.  You might fare better with a Hang-tyte, but I dunno about trailering with it.  I'll look for a pic, but not sure I have one.  Have you tried a local canvas place?  We have a couple around here that could easily do the Evo cover (not sure about the Evolution  hooks though).

49 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Yeah, it is the "Exact Fit" (truth in advertizing warning here!  LOL)  I do not have a tower, so it needs a pole support system to keep it taut.  You might fare better with a Hang-tyte, but I dunno about trailering with it.  I'll look for a pic, but not sure I have one.  Have you tried a local canvas place?  We have a couple around here that could easily do the Evo cover (not sure about the Evolution  hooks though).

Local canvas places around me want around $1500 to make one. Most places are also booked way out. I will evetually order an evolution cover. But I really need one asap.

48 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I just noticed that Carver covers are made in SC, and they have one for your oat for under $400 in Sunbrella.  Does not cover the platform.

I will have to look it up. I have seen the covers for my boat from Carver. The version that does not cover the platform is the "styled to fit" so it is not a tight cover. The one that does cover the swimplatform is a  "custom Cover" and is the tight cover and is meant to tow with it on. 

9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What's a new Evolution going to cost?  $1500 sounds a bit high - at least for my area.  YMMV

I had emailed Cory at evolution. This was his response -  "A cover for this boat starts at $885 plus shipping". But i would have to wait until November. 

1 minute ago, Jbarry14 said:

I had emailed Cory at evolution. This was his response -  "A cover for this boat starts at $885 plus shipping". But i would have to wait until November. 

Wow - htat is a great price

• 3 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 11:38 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

Is this the Westland cover off of overtons or baldmikes? Looks like overtons has an "Exact-fit" westland with sunbrella for a bit cheaper. 

1 minute ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Is this the Westland cover off of overtons or baldmikes? Looks like overtons has an "Exact-fit" westland with sunbrella for a bit cheaper. 

IIRC I got my last one from West Marine as they were the cheapest.  They are pumped out of the same factory so just shop around.  About $500 USD for my RLX (no platform).  And I only see Covermate on Overtons site?

Not sure if the OP is still looking, but I HIGHLY recommend Bald Mike's.  I've bought quite a few items from him, including a cover for my old Crownline.  The one I got was the "exact fit Sharkskin", and it was tight enough for trailering.  In addition, Mike's prices are competitive, and his service is great.

F1341EA0-0DFF-400A-8460-4096296982F5_1_201_a.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

IIRC I got my last one from West Marine as they were the cheapest.  They are pumped out of the same factory so just shop around.  About $500 USD for my RLX (no platform).  And I only see Covermate on Overtons site?

Shoot let me double check. It might have just been a covermate sunbrella. 

Does your westland have a sinch strap that you can tighten down under the rub rail? Or do you have to use the straps for trailering

2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Not sure if the OP is still looking, but I HIGHLY recommend Bald Mike's.  I've bought quite a few items from him, including a cover for my old Crownline.  The one I got was the "exact fit Sharkskin", and it was tight enough for trailering.  In addition, Mike's prices are competitive, and his service is great.

F1341EA0-0DFF-400A-8460-4096296982F5_1_201_a.jpeg

What do you think of the sharkskin so far? After watching my last cover stretch and rip I'm not sure if I want to get a polyester cover. 

Edit: I'm looking but not sure about the OP... Sorry OP I hijacked your thread

Edited by DOJOLOACH2
5 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

What do you think of the sharkskin so far? After watching my last cover stretch and rip I'm not sure if I want to get a polyester cover. 

Edit: I'm looking but not sure about the OP... Sorry OP I hijacked your thread

To be clear, that was on my old boat that I sold 6 years ago.  Going from memory, I kept the boat for probably 3-4 years after I bought the cover.  I was happy with it.  I also had a custom Sunbrella bow and cockpit covers for the boat, but I preferred the cover from Bald Mike's.  The big advantage to the Sharkskin is that it stayed waterproof without me needing to treat it every year (or realistically more often).  I did not notice any stretching.   I would buy it again.

2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

To be clear, that was on my old boat that I sold 6 years ago.  Going from memory, I kept the boat for probably 3-4 years after I bought the cover.  I was happy with it.  I also had a custom Sunbrella bow and cockpit covers for the boat, but I preferred the cover from Bald Mike's.  The big advantage to the Sharkskin is that it stayed waterproof without me needing to treat it every year (or realistically more often).  I did not notice any stretching.   I would buy it again.

And that's just the standard sharkskin 6.5 mm thick material I think?

For treating would you need to spray with something similar to a ptfe coating? I think I've seen spray cans of it at Walmart for upholstery upkeep

28 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

And that's just the standard sharkskin 6.5 mm thick material I think?

For treating would you need to spray with something similar to a ptfe coating? I think I've seen spray cans of it at Walmart for upholstery upkeep

I've never had to treat a Sunbrella cover.  They have never leaked and my boat spends months on the water.

From their own website, Sunbrella is designed to be breathable, which makes it water repellant not waterproof. 

It is recommended to treat the fabric with 303 Fabric Guard to “refresh” the water repellency. Speaking from experience, when you do treat with 303, don’t do it with the cover on your boat. Overspray can cloud fiberglass or any plastic it contacts if it isn’t quickly wiped off. 

Edited by RyanB