Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 21’ Wakesetter Monsoon bogs and won't accelerate

I have a 2002 21’ wakesetter with 264 hours

I can only get it to run about 37 MPH @ 3800 RPMs I think prop is not correct. It will not rev pass 3800 RPMs

I have 6 people on board.  

I don't see no number on the prop.  What prop should have come on this boat?  

ACtC-3eAIFrwz4PQkiDL9NVrfRfiiyL3s7Vnu2_Y

ACtC-3dUXwmn8y43frZiHpcZYyIn4y6Nq5_9QoVo

Edited by hollywoodhd
Was suggested by memeber

You might want to edit your title.  Are you saying it runs rough at WOT and doesn't run as fast or as high of RPM as you'd like, or it "won't run"at WOT at all, and this is as fast as you can get it before the engine dies, or ?

Did it just start doing this, or are you new to this boat?

Is this lightly loaded or loaded up?

You say 2002 Wakesetter, but there are a few models...which one?

2 hours ago, hollywoodhd said:

I don't see no number on the prop.  What prop should have come on this boat?

Your first photo shows 13X12.  The original prop was very likely a CVP stainless 13X13.

Is it possible you have an engine problem?  How long since you did a tune up?

On a 2002 the factory prop would have been a 515 or 525 so that looks right. 

I agree a tune up is in order. Start with ignition (cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires) and go from there. Does it run rough and sputter at full throttle? 

Ok I see numbers now I didn't know where to look.  

Engine runs good not long ago was tune up.  Compression is good. 

I have been told this is a monsoon 325hp 

I think thermostat is stuck on get up to about 100 on temp. But that should not cause the not to rev pass 3800 rpms

4 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

On a 2002 the factory prop would have been a 515 or 525 so that looks right. 

I agree a tune up is in order. Start with ignition (cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires) and go from there. Does it run rough and sputter at full throttle? 

No sputter runs smooth runs good 

I upgrade my prefect pass all my gauages were bad and speed is based off GPS so speed is 38 and it will not rev past 3800 

Remindes me of an outboard with incorrect prop.

If you changed your perfect pass are you sure the linkage and servo cable are tight? A loose perfect pass cable will prevent throttle from opening fully. If you remove the flame arrestor and advance the throttle all the way on the trailer (engine off), it should open all the way. Check the linkage and servo test instructions on the perfect pass site. 

And change thermostat to a 160 degree unit. 

Edited by UWSkier
12 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

If you changed your perfect pass are you sure the linkage and servo cable are tight? A loose perfect pass cable will prevent throttle from opening fully. If you remove the flame arrestor and advance the throttle all the way on the trailer (engine off), it should open all the way. Check the linkage and servo test instructions on the perfect pass site. 

And change thermostat to a 160 degree unit. 

Ok will check perfect pass cable but all I changed was the computer and gauge for prefect pass.

Just order a 160 thermostat 

14 minutes ago, tbullard said:

Try changing the ICM in the distributor that is what fixed mine with the exact same issue.

where is best place online to get one?

16 minutes ago, hollywoodhd said:

where is best place online to get one?

Pull the one off your distributor and take it into any auto parts store.  Ask for an ICM from a 1992 Suburban with the 5.7L engine.  Should match right up.  Make sure you use plenty of heat distribution paste on the module where it mates to the plate.  It needs that to heat sink or it'll burn up.  Shouldn't be more than 45 or 50 bucks at OReilly or autozone.

Edited by UWSkier
6 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Pull the one off your distributor and take it into any auto parts store.  Ask for an ICM from a 1992 Suburban with the 5.7L engine.  Should match right up.  Make sure you use plenty of heat distribution paste on the module where it mates to the plate.  It needs that to heat sink or it'll burn up.  Shouldn't be more than 45 or 50 bucks at OReilly or autozone.

Will a thermostat for a 1992 Suburban 5.7L  160Degrees work also?

3 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

it might, though you should use a marine version or it'll corrode faster.

Ok I will use marine then.

I will update after I have done suggestions.

Thanks for everyone help

On 6/20/2020 at 11:25 PM, tbullard said:

Try changing the ICM in the distributor that is what fixed mine with the exact same issue.

Mine runs good and smooth. Was your running smooth when you changed the ICM?  Mine just will not rev high and run over 38 mph

10 hours ago, hollywoodhd said:

Mine runs good and smooth. Was your running smooth when you changed the ICM?  Mine just will not rev high and run over 38 mph

Yes, was running great but wouldn't rev higher than I believe 3600rpm (been a few years) Could really only notice if trying to drive fast or when we started to try and surf. Since it was like this when we purchased the boat I thought maybe it just didn't have the power available but as soon as I figured out there was an issue and replaced the ICM it was like a completely different boat.

44 minutes ago, hollywoodhd said:

I am going to take mine out in the morning and go get one for. 92 Chevy Suburban 5.7

Hope it works🤞

You must use thermal paste under the ICM when you change it.  They are very temperature sensitive, and need the paste to help transfer the heat to the plate.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

You must use thermal paste under the ICM when you change it.  They are very temperature sensitive, and need the paste to help transfer the heat to the plate.

Ok I will! Thanks

1 hour ago, JasonK said:

If it's propped for a lot of weight won't that keep his rpm down?

Opposite. Propped for speed keeps RPM down. Propped for weight makes RPM higher. 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:03 PM, justgary said:

Didn't fix the problem.

Now with new thermostat its at 160 it is getting up to temp It don't idle smooth 600 RPM to 840 RPM. When it try to pull out it bogs and backfires and will not run over 2000 to 2400 RPM if that.

I found that the EFI has a Phased Warm-up 

103  up to 3000 RRM

104-139 4200 RPM

140 and Higher Full RPM

Today when I first put it in the water it would not run over 3300 RPMs

I check firing order, compression,  fuel pressure, and ICM

I just bough this boat. It had be setting for several years.  It had all new fuel injectors, fuel rails.  I have not run a tank of fuel through it yet.  When I fill it up i add Quickare Fuel Treatment.

Fuel tank has been cleaned. 

ACtC-3dk-83OpUBLjBbgn9vqrdLdBFheNbMOqBzA

Edited by hollywoodhd
On 6/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, hollywoodhd said:

Didn't fix the problem.

Now with new thermostat its at 160 it is getting up to temp It don't idle smooth 600 RPM to 840 RPM. When it try to pull out it bogs and backfires and will not run over 2000 to 2400 RPM if that.

I found that the EFI has a Phased Warm-up 

103  up to 3000 RRM

104-139 4200 RPM

140 and Higher Full RPM

Today when I first put it in the water it would not run over 3300 RPMs

I check firing order, compression,  fuel pressure, and ICM

I just bough this boat. It had be setting for several years.  It had all new fuel injectors, fuel rails.  I have not run a tank of fuel through it yet.  When I fill it up i add Quickare Fuel Treatment.

Fuel tank has been cleaned. 

ACtC-3dk-83OpUBLjBbgn9vqrdLdBFheNbMOqBzA

@justgary check out that data on a Monsoon that should be using MEFI2 or CEFI3.  Weird.