Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

After market swim deck

Dutchie

The teak swim deck on my 95 echelon is in dire need of replacing.   I was going to build one myself but the price of teak is crazy right now in Canada.   Anyone put a non teak swim platform on their echelon (or similar old boat that used to have teak)    any suggestions for where I should purchase one...(or even how to build one)?

Thanks for the information

Teakworld.  Or there is one in Quebec for about $700 CAD plus shipping.  Shipping should be about $200  or less to the West.  I was thinking about it, but decided against it. 

I am making one from 1 inch hdpe. Seen it on this site a few times and I can buy a 4x8 sheet locally for 350 usd. Might be worth looking around the forum for more information.

40 minutes ago, KJM said:

I am making one from 1 inch hdpe. Seen it on this site a few times and I can buy a 4x8 sheet locally for 350 usd. Might be worth looking around the forum for more information.

I would think Starboard would be better than HDPE?

@Dutchie - Yes, I made one for my boat.  I went with a foam core (Corecell) and carbon fiber.  Works great for me and what I was after.  North of the border, Noah's is a good source for composite materials.  How you use your boat should be somewhat of a guide to how you construct a replacement, if you want to maintain or improve the slalom wake, make sure you don't use heavy materials, such as HDPE or starboard.  Also, make sure you keep the stiffness of the original teak one and any plastic surface tends to be slippery which you want to avoid along with poor adhesion for attaching any foam top like Seadek or Hydroturf.  Original teak platform weighs 30 lb, carbon fiber replacement with brackets is 11.

A potential source would be Great Lakes Skipper, they have a Malibu section to browse, it will be hit and miss.

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

make sure you don't use heavy materials, such as HDPE or starboard.

That's a great point!   Did you do a project build thread for your Corecell/carbon platform?  I am thinking back to the surf shops that made their own boards by shaping foam and then glassing.  And how cool would a balsa platform be?  :)

@Eagleboy99 - I did not specifically although info sprinkled in various threads on this forum on the variety of stuff I have done on the boat.  Balsa would be cool.  With carbon fiber these days not being too costly, it makes a nice light and stiff material.  Your description is the process I used, making a form from the foam core then laying the carbon fiber up over the top.  Given the simple shape, it is an easy DIY project.  Engine box was a bit more work:-)