Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX how to remove front dash speakers

Smokedvw

Make sure you verify the mounting depth  before you purchase speakers for the dash.

I originally purchased  a pair of JL XR650 cxi  speakers but they wouldn't fit because of the depth.

Since I didn't want to make any modifications, I ended up going with a different speaker

Good point on the depth, but its usually only an issue on the passenger side due to the glove box. Varies with year and model of course. Easily remedied with windshield off though.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 12:01 AM, Smokedvw said:

Yeah I decided I'll run a amp 50rms x 4 @4ohm   

Has anyone done installs for speakers in the bow on that 2001 style? I was trying to find details online but haven't found them. 

Also those neiko tools worked. The screws just make it out without the windshield. 

I'm debating as well getting new old stock wet sounds 650s w rgb vs the recons

$130 vs $200 pair, 250 with rgb. 

Is there much of a difference they look pretty identical. 

There are just 4 speakers currently in the boat but I was wondering about putting in 2 on the bow... Then again the kids are usually up there and I'd rather not blow there ears out ;)

I recently installed 2 speakers in the bow with small custom boxes I plan to wrap in marine vinyl. I simply spliced into the existing front speaker wires, and it works fine for low-med volumes. Install was per request of my kids so they can hear music while the boat is running. 

If you’re an audiophile, you’ll want to set up amp(s) so the speakers are all running same ohms and amperage. 

I just changed the dash speakers on my 08 247 and bought this from Amazon to get access to the screws:  

https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Adapter-Extension-Screwdriver-Magnetic/dp/B07ZNXTNRR/ref=sr_1_31?crid=19D1EAJBF2X05&dchild=1&keywords=right+angle+drill+attachment&qid=1595506269&sprefix=right+angle+%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-31

I've got a screwdriver adapter set and they all snap right into this angled head.  I also ordered a pack of short drill bits in case I needed to drill new holes (I did not have to).  This worked much faster than the manual right-angle screw drivers, and faster and less dangerous that popping the windshield.

I ended up installing Polk Marine 6.5" in the boat to replace the Rockford 6.5" and so far so good.  I'm powering the boat speakers (4 pair) off a Rockford R400, and just installed two new JL Audio 7.7 cans on the tower and have those running off a Rockford R250.  No idea what to do for a sub yet...still investigating options.

39 minutes ago, EchelonMike said:

I just changed the dash speakers on my 08 247 and bought this from Amazon to get access to the screws:  

https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Adapter-Extension-Screwdriver-Magnetic/dp/B07ZNXTNRR/ref=sr_1_31?crid=19D1EAJBF2X05&dchild=1&keywords=right+angle+drill+attachment&qid=1595506269&sprefix=right+angle+%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-31

I've got a screwdriver adapter set and they all snap right into this angled head.  I also ordered a pack of short drill bits in case I needed to drill new holes (I did not have to).  This worked much faster than the manual right-angle screw drivers, and faster and less dangerous that popping the windshield.

I ended up installing Polk Marine 6.5" in the boat to replace the Rockford 6.5" and so far so good.  I'm powering the boat speakers (4 pair) off a Rockford R400, and just installed two new JL Audio 7.7 cans on the tower and have those running off a Rockford R250.  No idea what to do for a sub yet...still investigating options.

You cant beat those Polk speakers. DB651s for like 50 bucks a pair lol.

2 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

Where did you get your polk 6.5's?  I need to replace 2 speakers in my boat and have been looking.  it seems the DB651 have been discontinued and replaced by the DB652.  I would buy either, just trying to get the best value.

12 hours ago, cla10beck said:

Where did you get your polk 6.5's?  I need to replace 2 speakers in my boat and have been looking.  it seems the DB651 have been discontinued and replaced by the DB652.  I would buy either, just trying to get the best value.

I bought 4 pair of the DB652s on ebay for $234 bucks ($58.50 a pair) and they sound great.

I just replaced the JL650s on my boat with these Wetsounds Revo 6s and they sound incredible.  I got them refurbished from creative here at this link.  I wanted the LED lights at night as well.  Depth is issue at windshield speakers for BOTH sides but you can modify if you remove the windshield or you could try to do it from below.  Here is link to what I got:

https://creativeaudio.net/revo6-xsg-ss-kb/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsO_4BRBBEiwAyagRTZ1vPSb_jDoz1UmnBKEp8wwGpTqJtMoonA9xUo9AGjc5mwr5-pHurRoCNikQAvD_BwE

On 7/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, CLTMalibu08 said:

You cant beat those Polk speakers. DB651s for like 50 bucks a pair lol.

When I first got my boat, I threw these in within a few days as the speakers were shot (back in 2011).  I used them for two seasons, was fairly unimpressed and replaced them with the Polk MM series, which are a far better speaker and wasn't that much more expensive (I got mine for $94/pair in 2013...still work perfectly today).

You can remove the speakers with a low profile screwdriver like someone posted...but, pulling the windshield isn't that bad. Plus, when you pull the windshield, you can replace the rubber tape under the windshield...if yours is like my 2001 sunsetter LXI the rubber moved around and came out from under and needs fixed. Also, if your center window gap has grown due to boat splay you can tighten up that gap by resetting the window in a better position. 

In process of installing a great stereo in my boat I removed the window twice...NOW I could do it in 30-45 min...but when you do it for the first time, plan on a few hours...getting it set in the right place is important. Also, use stainless screws and go slow...ramming screws into tight holes in fiberglass just breaks off the screw. 

See my post for a few lessons learned:

New Stereo for my 2001 Sunsetter LXI, By gary_tenison,  October 11, 2019 in Stereo Info & How-To