Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX how to remove front dash speakers

Smokedvw

Hi,

I would like to replace the infinity 6.5" speakers currently mounted up in the dash (and the rear) with some wet sound 6.5's.  The front speakers look very tight and I cant get a 90* style ratchet in there (https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A-Mini-Size-Ratcheting-Screwdriver/dp/B000XYOUS6/ref=asc_df_B000XYOUS6/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293024427005&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9386472610342015981&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1001957&hvtargid=pla-433863630683&psc=1)

Since I'm sure lots of people have done this I figured I would reach out to the community (after I had tried searching) to see the best way to do this?  If it is indeed to remove the windshield I have not found a guide on how to do this and that would be greatly helpful or at least some instructions please.

Side note how well do the wet sounds 6.5 run off a deck?  I do plan to run tower speakers off a dedicated amp but thought I might just use the dash power on the 6.5's for now.

I just got the boat and will be setting up a full ballast system and updating the stereo :)

Thank you and have an awesome weekend!

If it anything like my Response, you have to pull the windshield (Danger Will Robinson, DANGER!) to replace them.  Pretty sure in my RLX they were installed before the glass went on.  Only thing I can think of is super low profile screwdrivers like https://www.amazon.ca/Anex-6102T-Profile-Driver-Handle/dp/B0016VAIBI/ref=pd_sbs_201_6/140-3093735-2706754?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0016VAIBI&pd_rd_r=eef375b5-dca1-49ae-8665-183d43ac81eb&pd_rd_w=c8dyG&pd_rd_wg=9J4zv&pf_rd_p=0ec96c83-1800-4e36-8486-44f5573a2612&pf_rd_r=TM760YKWSEV1CGQP1EDY&psc=1&refRID=TM760YKWSEV1CGQP1EDY  Not sure what I would do when my speakers die, but if I was installing new ones I would  bolt from underneath.  

Yeah, I looked into replacing my speaker up there too. Looks like removing the windshield or possibly cutting the old screws from the bottom... but neither option was good enough for me to try yet. That windshield pull doesn’t look fun. Keep your thread updated, interested to see what you do.

Based on posts, R&R for the windshield looks the job from H-E-double hockey sticks.  Add down-firing speakers to the tower.  Besides, my wife HATES the stero on in the boat.  And we know who wins that battle.  :)

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

Pull windshield.  Not hard at all; maybe a 30 minute job to do it all.  Don't forget to clean/wax under it while it is off.  

+1.  A friend helps.  Just because it's really really hard to replace those windshields if the wind gusts while you're moving it around.  

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

Pull windshield.  Not hard at all; maybe a 30 minute job to do it all.  Don't forget to clean/wax under it while it is off.  

Until a screw strips, or the rubber disintegrates, or ...  I've looked  at this closely and I cannot see an R&R in 30 minutes.  You must have magic screwdrivers.

Just now, Eagleboy99 said:

Until a screw strips, or the rubber disintegrates, or ...  I've looked  at this closely and I cannot see an R&R in 30 minutes.  You must have magic screwdrivers.

I forgot about this.  I replaced with bolts and lock nuts.  You're right Eagle.

3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Nothing magic.  Pull the strips that hide the screws and remove.  A few have nuts under the dash and observer compartment to pull.  I've done it, by myself, wasn't that big of a deal.   I will be doing it again when I get around to repainting my windshield frame (which I will not be taking apart....that I hear is a total nightmare).

3 hours ago, Slurpee said:

+1.  A friend helps.  Just because it's really really hard to replace those windshields if the wind gusts while you're moving it around.  

Mine sleeps the the garage, so wasn't a factor when I pulled it.

Good timing. Was looking close at my windshield frame. I need to anodize or powder coat or paint that sucker.  Can't imagine it being too difficult. Would like to match the color to the boat better than original.

Steve B.

4 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Good timing. Was looking close at my windshield frame. I need to anodize or powder coat or paint that sucker.  Can't imagine it being too difficult. Would like to match the color to the boat better than original.

Steve B.

Check the thread where a poster said they had theirs powder-coated and it is/was  anightmare to reassemble.

18 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Nothing magic.  Pull the strips that hide the screws and remove.  A few have nuts under the dash and observer compartment to pull.  I've done it, by myself, wasn't that big of a deal.   I will be doing it again when I get around to repainting my windshield frame (which I will not be taking apart....that I hear is a total nightmare).

@Nitrousbird Where are the strips that hide the screws?  I didnt see anything on first inspection but then again I didnt know what to be looking for.  I assume you do not actually have to dissemble each piece of it.  I saw tons of screws holding each panel in place, does it come out as one piece?

Looks like ill have to chose a day that is not windy (boat is on land now) and have a friend help if needed though I always find you end up working on it by yourself... friends just show up when the boat is in the water magically ;)

I "fixed" my rear current speakers tonight, one was dead, after tracing it and pulling the deck and the other had a bad connector I didnt notice at first.  

Any thoughts on running the wet sounds 6.5's just off the deck?

Edited by Smokedvw
1 hour ago, Smokedvw said:

Any thoughts on running the wet sounds 6.5's just off the deck?

Not sure what deck you have, but the WS speakers look to be standard 4 ohm - standard  reasonable powered deck should do fine.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Not sure what deck you have, but the WS speakers look to be standard 4 ohm - standard  reasonable powered deck should do fine.

Debating buying one of the fusion decks.  Seems simple, I think it would be great to control zones and details on my phone vs fiddling with the buttons on the deck itself though the reviews do not look that great on the play store... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fusion.link.remote&hl=en_CA&showAllReviews=true

I will do some digging around this weekend. 

I successfully replaced my front speakers without removing the windshield in my ‘00 SSLXi. 
I’d get a strong small right angle electric screwdriver, though, as there is almost no room and a shorty screwdriver is too long.

15 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Nope, he's about right. You can have the windshield off and back on in less time it takes to fidget with the screws up against the glass. 

On 6/19/2020 at 11:17 PM, Smokedvw said:

@Nitrousbird Where are the strips that hide the screws?  I didnt see anything on first inspection but then again I didnt know what to be looking for.  I assume you do not actually have to dissemble each piece of it.  I saw tons of screws holding each panel in place, does it come out as one piece?

You pull off the walk through window first; just a few obvious screws.  The other two big sections each have a hard rubber strip at the windshield base.  Pop that off then remove the screws.  You don't take apart the actual windshield frame.  

Take a look underneath inside the observer compartment and you will understand where the screws are going through and what to do.

I used something like the Neiko 03044A right angle screw driver on my 05 LSV.  Even put in a spacer ring because the new speakers were taller than the old ones.

Did not want to tackle removing the windshield.

Edited by minnmarker
addition
  • Like 2
On 6/21/2020 at 6:18 AM, minnmarker said:

I used something like the Neiko 03044A right angle screw driver on my 05 LSV.  Even put in a spacer ring because the new speakers were taller than the old ones.

Did not want to tackle removing the windshield.

I tried that and I cant get it in there, it would have to be super small.  Though this does look promising https://www.amazon.ca/01323A-Profile-Screwdriver-5-Piece-Construction/dp/B07GNPRRVZ/ref=pd_lpo_469_t_1/141-1953985-9627857?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GNPRRVZ&pd_rd_r=ddca94bc-42d2-4127-812a-e4d7b24c2e7a&pd_rd_w=Tjn0h&pd_rd_wg=dHl02&pf_rd_p=256a14b6-93bc-4bcd-9f68-aea60d2878b9&pf_rd_r=P2K3X04870NNJ354AHFW&psc=1&refRID=P2K3X04870NNJ354AHFW

I might have to give that a try first :)

• 2 weeks later...

And on the Wetsounds question, it depends on what your deck will put out in 4 ohm RMS.  I have the Revo 6s and I needed an amp to get the best out of them.  Really need 75 watts RMS to them.  You might get away with deck power If they are the Recon series.  I recommend the below amp from Kenwood because price to performance is hard to beat.  You can pick one up for less than $150 and it is a marine amp and is very small with great power.  Let us know how it turns out.

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/amplifiers/kac-m3004/

Yeah I decided I'll run a amp 50rms x 4 @4ohm   

Has anyone done installs for speakers in the bow on that 2001 style? I was trying to find details online but haven't found them. 

Also those neiko tools worked. The screws just make it out without the windshield. 

I'm debating as well getting new old stock wet sounds 650s w rgb vs the recons

$130 vs $200 pair, 250 with rgb. 

Is there much of a difference they look pretty identical. 

There are just 4 speakers currently in the boat but I was wondering about putting in 2 on the bow... Then again the kids are usually up there and I'd rather not blow there ears out ;)