Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Busted Vdrive and told requires replacing transmission too???

Hoping you guys have some input. Have a 2013 LSV Wakesetter w/ ~315 hrs that is babied. Had it de-winterized in April, and after less that 5 hours on the water, the drive shaft breaks (had not hit anything).  After 2 weeks at the dealership (they are WAY backed up), mechanic goes to install new shaft and realizes vdrive is locked up. Btw, vdrive and transmission fluid were flushed during de-winterization.  Tells me fluid is burnt up and bearings had gone out. Now says we have to replace the vdrive AND transmission because they “don’t do them separately”. Part is 4K from Indmar (apparently original manufacturer) with no actual eta. With the research I’ve done it seems like a possible Walter rebuild or even new Walter Vdrive would be a less costly alternative. And nowhere does it say anything about requiring BOTH vdrive and transmission. Is this standard (ie automatically refers to both when talks about replacing vdrive)? With this cost, plus the cost of replacing the drive shaft and prop rebuild I’m feeling a little nauseous. Any suggestions/input would be appreciated. Even if it just sets my mind at ease that what I’m being told is right. 

Edited by LisaT

2nd opinion.  Also a lesson learned to do your own maintenance - I wouldn't doubt for a second that they could have not refilled (or underfilled) one of the fluids.  Just like we see a few cracked block posts a year from dealer winterized boats.  They just don't care about your stuff like you would, but sure charge you for it.

3 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

2nd opinion.  Also a lesson learned to do your own maintenance - I wouldn't doubt for a second that they could have not refilled (or underfilled) one of the fluids.  Just like we see a few cracked block posts a year from dealer winterized boats.  They just don't care about your stuff like you would, but sure charge you for it.

Or use a dealer/technician that will stand behind their work. No reputable shop wouldn’t replace a cracked book on a boat they winterized.........

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

Or use a dealer/technician that will stand behind their work. No reputable shop wouldn’t replace a cracked book on a boat they winterized.........

And how do you truly know they are reputable until you put them to the test?  You know, oil bath vaults and all with their lifetime warranty...

On 6/19/2020 at 5:44 PM, Nitrousbird said:

And how do you truly know they are reputable until you put them to the test?  You know, oil bath vaults and all with their lifetime warranty...

That is a fair response.  Although I do think there are some differences.  Somehow, Vault gets away with misleading (or flat out false) advertising due to their "fine print" in their "warranty".  I guess if the technician/shop had fine print that they aren't responsible for freeze damage after winterization, they would be off the hook too.

More importantly, the boat owner didn't purchase directly from Vault.  Neither did the dealer.  So the consumer is twice removed.  Verses the fact that I have a direct purchase and relationship with my dealer (and the technician I use).

I personally think that you are much less likely to have a dealer/technician/shop botch general maintenance or repairs than your average DIY guy.  I know where you stand on this.  But I think the % of people who are willing/able to spend $100,000 + on a boat (or even half of that), and then do their own work on it is minuscule,