Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Salt Water Abuse

Hey Guys,

I currently live on a fresh water lake and love it!!!! Biggrin.gif My problem is I may be faced with a great family and business opportunity. This would make us sell our house on the lake and move to another location. This area would also allow us great access to water...... salt water. Great little cove for calm water Yahoo.gif ....but it is salt. Probably 80/20 salt.

My thoughts are I would leave it in for two weeks at a time and then clean/rinse it thoroughly Cry.gif . I guess I should install a radiator for cooling........ ;)

What are your thoughts on this situation and how do you all deal with it? What about the trailer....I guess spraying it down right away would help.....

I almost feel I am putting my baby in acid....but I don't want to sell it!!

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Reggie

Reggie

Just hold that thought everytime you pull it out with hose in hand and you'll be fine, exept for the acid you couldn't get rinsed off somewhere. sleep well.

I use my boat in brackish (part salt, part fresh) water all the time. So far becasue of special care, I have seen very few effects of the salt on the boat. I have the "closed-cooling" system with fresh water flush-kit installed, and have a painted galvanized trailer.

Every time we finish boating, we go straight to the wash booth for a full wash and scrub-down of the boat, some of the interior and the trailer, then flush the engine in the driveway for around 5 minutes (despite having the closed cooling, water is in the exchanger/radiator and manifolds).

Once a month, I coat the engine and any exposed metal hardware (except in the interior) with Boeshield T9 - a corrosion protectant. I have also added a sacraficial zinc annode to the transom to help reduce galvanic reaction on the running gear and wedge...

Also, the galvanized trailer (mine is painted for better looks) is almost an absolute must because the steel (especially inside the tubes) is VERY susceptible to rust - not to mention the break system, axles, and leaf springs...

Not much more you can do, but keep in mind if you keep the boat on the water (even over or next to the water) you also have to worry about salt air which can be very harsh as well. If you keep it IN the water, you have to worry (big time) about growth of algae and barnacles.

For now, I store my boat at home - well away from the water, so I do not have to tend with either of those aspects...

Let me know if I can be of more assistance here...

JZ

be prepared to rinse ALOT, and if you are leaving it in the water for 2 weeks at a time, prepare to scrape and clean the bottom too (barnacles attach in less than a week). I found that when I left mine in the salt water (brakish, about 65/35 maybe), taking it out every 2 weeks wasn't enough.

Get a lift! I use an air dock, because that is all that is allowed on my body of water. it is GREAT for REDUCING maintenance (and notice how i capitalized reducing). In salt water, you usually have salt air too, with humidty. That means everything is always covered in salt (at least that's the way it is here on the east coast). You will constantly need to wash down (even if you don't use the boat), and will need to SaltX everything. Also, be prepared to replace a lot of parts that ski boat manufacturors just don't believe in making marine friendly (like seat sliders, those little pistons that hold up the trunk, engine, etc, ALL the dash screws). Kind of burns my a$$ that they don't spend a bit more on these parts up front, so you don't have to replace them a couple of years later. my whaler is 20 years old and has ALL its originall hardware, and that sees the hose about twice a year...

I know I don't paint a pretty picture, but I will never not own a ski boat, even on salt. just be prepared for a LOT more maintenance.

Forgot to add, I DO have FWC, and it is worth it. Also if the boat is going to sit in the water, put sacrificial anodes on the boat (if you search the other site many belonged to in the past, there are some pictures of my wedge with an anode on it).

One other thing, i read somewhere (and it may have been on the MC site), that Mastercraft is or has introduced a line of Salt Water friendly ski boats. I think it is all the bigger line, but hopefully BU will step to the plate, and let you order from the factory any boat correctly marinized for real marine use.

:( I am quicky realizing the JOYS of being on a fresh water lake!!!!!

The work is worth it!!!! I hope........... Cry.gif

Thanks folks,

Reggie

Reggie

I live in a marketplace that has both fresh and salt water. IMO, boats that have been used in salt water have less resale value than others. I am not trying to talk you out of it, just merely offering another factor you might wat to consider. good luck.

Wilma

You may want to look at getting a galvanized trailer.

That will cut down a lot of maintenance on the trailer itself. Those painted ones will look like crap in no time and soemtimes, the beams (cross bars, whatever) can rust through. If you like the galvanized idea, and want to sell yours, let me know. I need a trailer for our Rlxi. What color is it?

Our trailer is red......that is a very good point. I will have to look at the cost of the galvinized trailer.

Thanks

Reggie

I remember hearing that a SA galvanized adds a negligible amount. Red doesn;t go with my boat, but if you want to sell, let me know, I might still be interested.

A response lx trailer probably won't hold an lxi, because the lxi is longer and wider. As for your trailer reggie, ditch it and get a galvy, there only a few hundred more than a painted trailer (and if your tow vechicle is decent, maybe don't put brakes on the new trailer, because they are a pain in salt).

Chris

Thanks Guys for all the "Responses". I am excited about the potential opportunity Yahoo.gif but disappointed in the future work load Mad.gif to keep my baby clean and in working order!!! Mad.gif

I will keep you all posted!!!!

Reggie

Galvanized trailer for sure and look into one made out of I beams instead of tubes because I beams cant fill up with water. plus they can be lighter (less work for truck)...look for a trailer with grease zerts in wheel hubs. Flush motor everytime for atleast 5-10 mins. And wash everything in the boat and lube often.

I know its alot more work but my wife and I have it down to about 20mins...

1. pull all gear out of the boat (ropes, skis, wakeboards)

2. Rinse off boat and trailer

3. While I soap up the boat and trailer wife is rinseing gear.

4. final rinse of boat and trailer while wife cleans interior.

5. Start flushing motor while drying boat off.

6. crack a beer and wait till motor is done (watch temp!!!!!!!)

7. Then your done......

Sounds like alot but it isn't really. Have fun

A response lx trailer probably won't hold an lxi, because the lxi is longer and wider. As for your trailer reggie, ditch it and get a galvy, there only a few hundred more than a painted trailer (and if your tow vechicle is decent, maybe don't put brakes on the new trailer, because they are a pain in salt).

Chris

It will hold it better than the sporty trailer and wslsv trailer that Ive had to borrow.

Hey Guys,

I currently live on a fresh water lake and love it!!!! Biggrin.gif My problem is I may be faced with a great family and business opportunity.  This would make us sell our house on the lake and move to another location.  This area would also allow us great access to water...... salt water.  Great little cove for calm water Yahoo.gif ....but it is salt.  Probably 80/20 salt.

My thoughts are I would leave it in for two weeks at a time and then clean/rinse it thoroughly Cry.gif .  I guess I should install a radiator for cooling........ ;)

What are your thoughts on this situation and how do you all deal with it?  What about the trailer....I guess spraying it down right away would help.....

Reggie

Reggie:

I use my boat in a fresh water lake but have found the water to be highly corrosive all the same. Over any holiday period I leave the boat in the Lake but as soon as I get home I use a flushing oil to make sure all the greebies are removed. The new boat has a closed cooling system but it still gets the same treatment.

See this link: http://www.macsmarine.com/index.htm

A friend who races a World GP Hydroplane with raw water cooling swears by the Macs Ultrafilm product - his 1,800 hp motor is worth about $75,000!

Macs will dissolve crystalised salt build-up that ordinary flushing will not remove & it is certainly very cheap insurance.