Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F-150 Axle Ratio

vaporbluebu

Crew, I recently sold my car and have been looking for a truck. It will be my daily driver and occasionally pull the boat, but when it does I will be using it on trips 50-400 miles going over an 8000' pass and up a couple steep grades. I've been on the lookout for an F-150 FX4 with the Ecoboost and found one that has everything I want except that it has the 3.31 rear axle. I was hoping for at least the 3.55. Will this setup get the job done? Where will I notice the difference...off the line, up the steep grades? I currently have an Expedition Max with the 3.5 Eco and 3.73 rear axle with a 10 speed transmission and love it. Will I be disappointed with this truck in comparison? Thanks!

Been a couple years since I bought mine, but I think the 3.55 is standard when you get the max tow package.  I have the 3.55 and it's great with my 23LSV at ~7,500 lbs fully loaded (my estimate) but I live in a relatively flat area.

Can't imagine that the slightly lower ratio will hurt you too bad.  But the tow package also puts a gigantic fuel tank in (43 gal if I remember correctly).  You may not miss the small power gain from the axle, but on 500 mile trips you will probably miss the extra range if the one you get has the base 25ish gallon tank.

Then it doesn't seem like you would notice it a bunch (3.31 to 3.55), especially with a 10 speed trans.  If it were me I'd be holding out for the 3.7? ratio (assuming it is available) if I planned on driving in the mountains a lot and was going to keep the truck for a long time.

Edited by oldjeep
4 minutes ago, ajive said:

Been a couple years since I bought mine, but I think the 3.55 is standard when you get the max tow package.  I have the 3.55 and it's great with my 23LSV at ~7,500 lbs fully loaded (my estimate) but I live in a relatively flat area.

Can't imagine that the slightly lower ratio will hurt you too bad.  But the tow package also puts a gigantic fuel tank in (43 gal if I remember correctly).  You may not miss the small power gain from the axle, but on 500 mile trips you will probably miss the extra range if the one you get has the base 25ish gallon tank.

It does have the upgraded 36 gallon tank from the standard 23. That is on my "must have" list.

4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Then it doesn't seem like you would notice it a bunch (3.31 to 3.55), especially with a 10 speed trans.  If it were me I'd be holding out for the 3.7? ratio (assuming it is available) if I planned on driving in the mountains a lot and was going to keep the truck for a long time.

This one is a 2016 and comes with the 6 speed transmission. Not finding a lot in my price range with a 10 speed.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, those higher axle ratios for towing were a lot more important when trucks had 4-6 gears and way less horse power.  My dad was insisting on at least 4.10s when he bought his new truck and I'm like dad, this isn't like your old 4 speed from 2005 with 280 hp.  If its got the right tow package and a 10-speed I suspect you will be just fine.  

Edited by jjackkrash
5 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

IMO, those higher axle ratios for towing were a lot more important when trucks had 4-6 gears and way less horse power.  My dad was insisting on at least 4.10s when he bought his new truck and I'm like dad, this isn't like your old 4 speed from 2005 with 280 hp.  If its got the right tow package and a 10-speed I suspect you will be just fine.  

I have talked to several people that have the new Powerstroke/10 speed and went with 4.10/ 4.56 gears. They all say the same thing, fuel mileage is terrible with those gears and 10 speed. I would imagine it will be same results on a gasser.

28 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

I have talked to several people that have the new Powerstroke/10 speed and went with 4.10/ 4.56 gears. They all say the same thing, fuel mileage is terrible with those gears and 10 speed. I would imagine it will be same results on a gasser.

IIRC, I've got 3.42 axle ratio on my 3500 with the 10-speed and it tows like a dream.  It holds 70 uphill on steep hills towing my 19k lbs. fiver and you can't tell when its shifting on the flats unless you watch the tach and really pay attention.  The 10-speeds are a game changer.  

Edited by jjackkrash
On 6/17/2020 at 10:53 AM, vaporbluebu said:

This one is a 2016 and comes with the 6 speed transmission. Not finding a lot in my price range with a 10 speed.

I would hold out for a ‘17+ to get the 10 spd. I’m sure lots more will be coming for sale now that the 2021s have been announced.