Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Response LX Steering Cable Replacement

Eagle River Mike

Hi everyone.   I tried replacing my steering cable over the weekend.   It's all disconnected but I can't get it pulled all the way out.  It seems the end nut that connects to the support by the rudder is getting stuck underneath the floor just to the left of the drivers seat.    I've removed the side panel next to the driver's seat so I can get more leverage and best pull possible on the cable.  There is a small rectangle opening the steering cable needs to come through.  The battery cables and few other cables are routed through the same opening.   Anybody have any tips or pointers?  Should I grind the nut off with a dremel.  But then I'm worried the new cable won't fit either.  Should I tape the nut up so it doesn't have any flat edges to catch?  Put some Vaseline of lubricant on it?   Sorry I didn't take any pictures but hoping someone has gone through this process on the same boat and figured out the trick to get it out.   The boat is 6 hours away.   Thanks,

10 minutes ago, Eagle River Mike said:

Hi everyone.   I tried replacing my steering cable over the weekend.   It's all disconnected but I can't get it pulled all the way out.  It seems the end nut that connects to the support by the rudder is getting stuck underneath the floor just to the left of the drivers seat.    I've removed the side panel next to the driver's seat so I can get more leverage and best pull possible on the cable.  There is a small rectangle opening the steering cable needs to come through.  The battery cables and few other cables are routed through the same opening.   Anybody have any tips or pointers?  Should I grind the nut off with a dremel.  But then I'm worried the new cable won't fit either.  Should I tape the nut up so it doesn't have any flat edges to catch?  Put some Vaseline of lubricant on it?   Sorry I didn't take any pictures but hoping someone has gone through this process on the same boat and figured out the trick to get it out.   The boat is 6 hours away.   Thanks,

You said you removed the side panel.  Are you talking about the one your left shin or leg might rest against while driving?  On my boat, if I remove that, I have a very large opening that my heater tubes, cables, perfect pass wiring, etc all run through.  Or is the small rectangle down in the bilge somewhere?

10 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

You said you removed the side panel.  Are you talking about the one your left shin or leg might rest against while driving?  On my boat, if I remove that, I have a very large opening that my heater tubes, cables, perfect pass wiring, etc all run through.  Or is the small rectangle down in the bilge somewhere?

I'm referring to the side panel that has the glove holder mesh attached.  It is  the one the next to the left shin area so we are referring to the same one..  Removing that opens up a large area but within that area is a small rectangle opening that the cables go through.  The opening is fairly narrow.  Maybe an inch or 2 wide and an inch or 2 deep.  I got the cable through the bilge area no problem. 

I have a 99 Response LX that I am contemplating putting a new steering cable in.  Did you get yours out?  I have not looked at mine yet.  working on steering rudder at the moment.  will explore the cable more to see if it is part of the problem with stiffer steering.  Jay

2 minutes ago, Songbird said:

I have a 99 Response LX that I am contemplating putting a new steering cable in.  Did you get yours out?  I have not looked at mine yet.  working on steering rudder at the moment.  will explore the cable more to see if it is part of the problem with stiffer steering.  Jay

if you disconnect the rudder tiller arm and the steering is stiff in spots, it's time for a new cable.  I saw in another post you have your gas tank out.  Now is a good time to redo fuel lines, steering cable, strut bushing, carpet, etc.  I plan on tackling a bunch of that this fall.

Thanks for the reply.  Plan to replace fuel hoses and such now.  Tiller arm off of rudder and steering still seems tighter than should be.  We were at the lake for 10 days last week and my wife noticed the steering seemed harder than it used to be.  I had not greased the fittings on the rudder box in quite a while.  top fitting took grease but could not get grease into lower one.  Modified the grease gun fitting to try to gain clearance and still not successful.  I am going to put 18" to 24" long hoses into rudder box to get the grease zerk out from under the seat so it will be easier to grease from now on.  Working on fuel gauge issue too.  Hoping to fix it so I actually know how much fuel is in the tank.  I also have an '82 Mastercraft stars and stripes and put a new cable in that one in 1989.