Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Speaker Wire Gauge help

bbrett

I'm installing 4 JBL 8" tower speakers with the RGB. I'm running the 4 speakers to a high power JBL 4-Channel AMP (independently wired) What size speaker cable is everyone running? I see lots of companies make the 16AWG w/ RGB combo wire. Wetsounds Wetwire with RGB is the only company I've seen with 12AWG w/RGB combo and it's over 4 times the price. 

11 hours ago, bbrett said:

'm running the 4 speakers to a high power JBL 4-Channel AMP

Whats the real world RMS to each pod, thats what matters. Also, a 2 chnl amp will make your wiring MUCH simpler, and could actually net you more wattage per pod. 

11 hours ago, MLA said:

Whats the real world RMS to each pod, thats what matters. Also, a 2 chnl amp will make your wiring MUCH simpler, and could actually net you more wattage per pod. 

Here' the speakers I have  -  JBL Tower X Marine MT8HLB

Power Handling150Wrms, 450W peak

Sensitivity (@ 2.83V)92dB

Frequency Response40Hz – 20kHz

Voice Coil Diameter1.5in. (38.5mm)

Impedance4ohms

Adjustable bar diameter from 1.75in - 3in. (44.5mm - 76.2mm)Yes

Here's the AMP I have already as well - JBL Stadium 4

High-performance, full-range, 4-channel Class D car audio amplifierYes

Max Power1500W Peak

Power Output, 4Ω100Wrms x 4, <0.1% THD+N

Power Output, 2Ω120Wrms x 4, <0.1% THD+N

Power Output, 4Ω Bridged240Wrms x 2, <0.3% THD+N

Signal-to-Noise Ratio>=80dB (ref 1 W output @ 4Ω)

High Efficiency, Low Distortion Class D DesignYes

8 hours ago, MLA said:

With a 100W x 4, you could do 16ga 2 conductor per pod, if you wanted to stuff that much cabling up the tower, or a 14ga 2-conductor per pair. 

I got an accommodation deal on on Harmon/JBL stuff through my work so that's why I went that route. I also have the stadium 5 (5 Channel) with Infinity Interior Speakers and 10" Infinity Marine Sub. Do you think with that wake tower config with the mentioned amp should sound good based off of those specs? 

I cant say they will sound bad, but a 100W rms is 6.5" coaxial tower speaker wattage. If you wanted to drive them to their potential, id do dual 4 chnl amps, each bridged onto 2 chnl mode. Thats 225W rms for each pod. Thats just getting an 8" HLCD warmed up.