Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used 2013 23LSV warranty. Buy it or not?

Ctrain

Team ,

in the final steps of purchasing 2013 23LSV and I’m pushing towards a 3 year full power train and electronics warranty. This is a stock boat with 300 hours and wet sounds tower speakers as the only upgrade. Obviously the dealer (boulder boats) thinks its a good idea to buy the warranty ($3k) but they do offer a 90 day free with purchase. What are the thoughts? Should i buy a 3 year warranty?

36 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Will someone actually offer an extended warranty for an eight  year  old boat?

i know they have a 5 year but yeah thats my question who offers this warranty, 

how long is the warranty good for and id probably go with a yes  get the warranty

Im really surprised there is a company that offers extended warrantees on boats... I think either they are very restrictive policies or they are a money losing game for the underwriter!  But with that said.. I had my 2008 23LSV for 11 years and never had a single issue.

Odds are that the warranty is not going to work out in your favor and even if you had to replace a screen, it would be less than 3k.  It would be a hard pass for me on the extended warranty.  I never buy them on anything.

keep the $3k in a coffee can and use it for maintenance and upgrades .  I would love to see the fine print on this warranty but would imagine that it is very restrictive in what it will cover.  

• Like 2

A 2005 is all just manual switches, correct?  I'd go with the put the 3K in the bank for a rainy day.  3K is a lot of money to insure a boat that should sell for around 25K-30k

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

A 2005 is all just manual switches, correct?  I'd go with the put the 3K in the bank for a rainy day.  3K is a lot of money to insure a boat that should sell for around 25K-30k

The OP said it is a 2013 - lots of fancy screens.

26 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The OP said it is a 2013 - lots of fancy screens.

AH - was looking at the boat listed under his name.  Looks like a 2013 lsv 23 has the same screen setup a my 2012 VTX.  Only one you really need to worry about is the touch screen.

I'd still just stick the money in the bank and save it for anything that might break. But I don't buy warranties on anything.

Edited by oldjeep
14 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

But I don't buy warranties on anything.

I agree in general.  But things are becoming so computerized with exorbitant costs to R&R, that I carefully consider the downside.  In this case, what if the screen gets EOLed? (as it seems to be unavailable now)

23 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I agree in general.  But things are becoming so computerized with exorbitant costs to R&R, that I carefully consider the downside.  In this case, what if the screen gets EOLed? (as it seems to be unavailable now)

Then a warranty isn't going to do much for you ;)

Also my brief experiences with warranty companies (before I knew better) they only authorize payment for the cheapest way possible to get it running again rather than just fixing it correctly.  Basically they take the bubble gum and duct tape approach.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Then a warranty isn't going to do much for you ;)

You'd have to read the fine print.  In some cases, it could trigger a solution that might be to your benefit.

Alright so warranty covers 2 parts mainly. Mechanical and electrical standard like stereo, gauges, electrical control systems, all parts engine and V drive as long as its maintenanced. The second (upgrade) warranty covers all surf boat items such as tower, surf gates, wedge, and the digital control system ect. These both also include emergency coverage, tow home, jump start. Overall seems decent - the only info I’m missing is the deductibles and specific exclusions. That info isn’t important?? Ill send an update when i find out.

Anyway for $3,200 on a $70k boat I’m still convinced its necessary especially being the dash system was pretty new in 2013 and the surf gates were brand new. Both seems vulnerable to me. 

I asked on how far back they offer this coverage and they said to 2007 and newer!

Edited by Ctrain
Added text
10 hours ago, oldjeep said:

You want to know the craziest part? $25k is what i bought the ‘05 for and just sold it for under $40k after adding 250 hours. People itching to spend that unused vacation money and DIY vacation? It was an easy sell for an upgrade.

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

AH - was looking at the boat listed under his name.  Looks like a 2013 lsv 23 has the same screen setup a my 2012 VTX.  Only one you really need to worry about is the touch screen.

I'd still just stick the money in the bank and save it for anything that might break. But I don't buy warranties on anything.

Just this week I replaced my Maliview screen due to delaminating. And I have a bubble in my touch screen. 

I’ll be $4700 just in screens by next year. 

Id gamble and buy the warranty. 

7 minutes ago, Brichter14 said:

Are these screen issues on boats kept on the water? Or is it all boats even garage babies?

Even garage babies.  My 2012 has been stored inside since 2014 - it was on a lift the first 2 years of its life.  My touchscreen started showing signs of delaminating last year.  So far it is still working, the delamination is still only about 1/16 - 1/8 from the edges.

6 hours ago, Brichter14 said:

Are these screen issues on boats kept on the water? Or is it all boats even garage babies?

The only time my boat isn’t in a garage is when we are using it. So at most 10 days at a time. 

Went to look at the boat yesterday, picking up this afternoon. Touch screen at the right of the helm is already showing a bit of delamination around the edges. Talked to the head mechanic about it and he said it’s inevitable for the delamination but he did give me a sense of security by saying it all functions can be over ridden if it completely fails, aside from the surf gates. 
The dealer stated it’s covered under the warranty. I have already bought the warranty as far as I’m concerned. I did ask what the replacement would be and the mechanic said because they no longer make the screen they would be giving me a newer Malibu head unit. Hopefully it’s not some bastardized install. I’m going to wait until it gets worse to do anything. 

thanks for the help everyone. Looking forward to over analyzing my boat more when I get it on the water.

I agree that you should consider negotiating something regarding that screen before buying, even if its them putting in writing that a "no cost" screen replacement is guaranteed by them if the warranty company does not cover it in full. Maybe this dealer is not like many (most?) others.... but many dealers would say anything you wanna hear about what the warranty will cover, if I cant see it in writing with my own eyes, they are just flapping gums and being salesmen to make a living. Dealers make very good money selling warranties and they get paid in full the moment you hand over the warranty cash. After that they don't have any dog in the fight and if you call them later pissed off cause nothing is getting covered, you will get a consoling pat on the head and told how bad they feel about your bad luck.

Not saying it may not be a good deal, just saying I would absolutely read that entire warranty including any/all fine print, deductible amounts, etc. This sounds just like any other third party warranty company and they care only for their own bottom line. Also, you mentioned that engine was covered "if maintainance was done"... was does that mean specifically, can you DIY and keep receipts and a log or do you have to do it all thru a dealer? The fine print is the only thing that matters legally. I would also find out which company is backing the warranty and then google them to check reviews from others who have used them and had claims.

Edited by Infinitysurf