Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Solution for Hot Vinyl and deck?

Trey891

Has anyone found a solution for the vinyl and deck getting blistering hot in the sun? So far throwing water on them is my only solution. Any magic product I cannot find or should I buy a super soaker?

2016 LSV

We have 8 Lands End dark blue beach towels we use each trip. Lay them out, use them to clean up the seats and scum line when we are done. I started throwing them on the floor last trip and it works well! 

I have terry cloth seat covers that I had made at a local shop using towels from Costco. I bought a set of Primal Marine Produx seat covers years ago, the family loves them but the company is no longer around. Here's what they looked like (not my boat/picture):

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779937

The next version of these that I have made will use very thin neoprene instead of terry cloth for two reasons; First, the neoprene should hold up better than terry cloth towels (better durability), Second, I believe that the neoprene may have better UV/fading resistance than bath towels from Costco the were never designed to be outside. 
One of the "tricks" that isn't visible in the pictures is that the material between the seats, where the cushions touch, was a spandex-like material with the Primal Marine Produx seat covers, the seat covers I had made used a slightly thicker/stronger super-thin neoprene. I think the neoprene was .5mm (that's half a millimeter) but I'd have to check my receipts for what I purchased.

If you're interested in the custom seat covers idea let me know. I can dig up some notes from my seat covers and other people in my family who have boats and have had the seat covers made.

• Like 1

My 2016 LSV had Malibu flooring and it was terrible- got incredibly hot and slippery as well.  We had to constantly wet towels and put them down on the floor on any hot days.  We swapped this out to Gatorstep and it was a huge improvement.   Certainly much more expensive than towels but well worth the investment for us. 

Seats  we got a couple thin micro fiber towels from Amazon that worked well.   Don't have a link but photos are good right?

IMG-7559.jpg

@Jmo617 did you install the gatorstep yourself, if so easy to do? If not, cost for install? 

10 hours ago, Jmo617 said:

My 2016 LSV had Malibu flooring and it was terrible- got incredibly hot and slippery as well.  We had to constantly wet towels and put them down on the floor on any hot days.  We swapped this out to Gatorstep and it was a huge improvement.   Certainly much more expensive than towels but well worth the investment for us. 

Seats  we got a couple thin micro fiber towels from Amazon that worked well.   Don't have a link but photos are good right?

IMG-7559.jpg

@Trey891 I paid to have it done while boat was in for stereo upgrades.   Removal and install was $500.00.  That included removal of all the stock grip tape on the gunwales as well.  Labor intensive on the removal based on what I was told by installer- he may have underbid their labor.  

Other benefit I neglected to mention along with the much cooler temps is the Gatorstep also has some cushion/give compared the the hard Malibu flooring they used in 16.   

5E15AF56-1ABB-407F-9C67-30A5CE5B8F92.jpeg

E0AB0574-E66C-4461-84DF-558CF50B538D.jpeg

• Like 2
On 6/18/2020 at 1:08 AM, Jmo617 said:

@Trey891 I paid to have it done while boat was in for stereo upgrades.   Removal and install was $500.00.  That included removal of all the stock grip tape on the gunwales as well.  Labor intensive on the removal based on what I was told by installer- he may have underbid their labor.  

Other benefit I neglected to mention along with the much cooler temps is the Gatorstep also has some cushion/give compared the the hard Malibu flooring they used in 16.   

5E15AF56-1ABB-407F-9C67-30A5CE5B8F92.jpeg

E0AB0574-E66C-4461-84DF-558CF50B538D.jpeg

I am guessing this did not include the purchase cost? Looks like about $2000. 

28 minutes ago, Jmo617 said:

@Raleigh Yes $500 was just the install.  I bought the flooring direct on a 40% off flash sale. 

That looks incredible, nice work! I’ll check the site during the year and hope for another.