Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Wakesetter Prop Issue/Question

MalibuRyan

Long story short, I was cut off by a tourist in a rental pontoon, and drive me into some shallow water, and got a couple very small digs on the back of the prop. Took the prop in to have it fixed at a very experienced local shop, after putting it back on I noticed a large difference. 

Before taking the prop in, I was able to cruise at 50mph at around 5,000 RPM's. The boat is a 2012 VLX with the LSA Supercharged motor. Prop on the boat is the ACME 2247 15"x14.25" prop. 

After getting the prop back, the hole shot felt the same, the boat topped out at about 40mph and 5,500 RPM's. Boat has never gotten that high in rpm's so I shut her down, and went slow the rest of the day. Pulled the prop off again and brought it back in to have it inspected. 

The place brought the cup up to the "heavy" range, .3"-.5". I brought in the specs on this prop, and they brought it back down to the .15"-.2" range where it should be. 

Looking for some feedback/information, if anyone has had a similar problem or any ideas. My thinking is that with the larger/deeper cups, the RPM's would stay lower as the prop isn't spinning as fast, unless the deeper cups were making the motor work harder.......

Appreciate the help and info Crew!

LSA in a VLX!  Holy cow man, unless you push HUGE weight (and even if you do, given your low elevation) why not try a "taller" prop like a 2277 (15x15.75)?

To your question you are correct that more cup generally should result in lower rpms at speed.

Not sure how many nibral props the prop shops in the Fox Valley see.  There's a shop in Little Chute that does a ton of I/O and outboard props (and does great work), but it took them a few tries to fix my dad's Acme.  They eventually got it right, but it wasn't done right the first time.

3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

LSA in a VLX!  Holy cow man, unless you push HUGE weight (and even if you do, given your low elevation) why not try a "taller" prop like a 2277 (15x15.75)?

To your question you are correct that more cup generally should result in lower rpms at speed.

Ya, it's a hotrod for sure!! 

What could I expect for perf. with that taller prop?

Any other idea what might cause that?

1 minute ago, UWSkier said:

Not sure how many nibral props the prop shops in the Fox Valley see.  There's a shop in Little Chute that does a ton of I/O and outboard props (and does great work), but it took them a few tries to fix my dad's Acme.  They eventually got it right, but it wasn't done right the first time.

I took mine to Mo's Marine, which was highly recommended and where all the local marina's send their props. Guys been doing props since the 60's, says he gets 400-500 ski boat props a year. 

8 minutes ago, MalibuRyan said:

Ya, it's a hotrod for sure!! 

What could I expect for perf. with that taller prop?

Any other idea what might cause that?

I'd expect some (but probably not much) loss in holeshot and probably a few mph on the top end.  Lower cruising rpms.

You reinstalled with the key in place, correct?

No reason the RPM should have spiked like that unless you have a transmission problem or the prop is slipping on the shaft.  Or the prop shop knocked a bunch of pitch and cup out of the blades in their reworking.

• Like 2

If you don't already have a spare, buy a 2277 or 2279 and try it out. If you like it better (I bet you will), use your modified 2247 as the spare.

On 6/17/2020 at 4:13 PM, UWSkier said:

You reinstalled with the key in place, correct?

No reason the RPM should have spiked like that unless you have a transmission problem or the prop is slipping on the shaft.  Or the prop shop knocked a bunch of pitch and cup out of the blades in their reworking.

Yes, they key was in place, if it was't I wouldn't have a hole shot like I do. I can't figure it out!! I brought the prop back, and they had increase the cup to a .3"-.5" the first time. They brought it back down to the .15"-.2" where it is supposed to be. I just had it out yesterday, Tops out at about 45mph and around 5,400 rpm's. Used to hit 50mph at around 5k rpms. Hole shot is awesome as always, so if it was a trans issues, then I would feel it in the hole shot as well......right?

Prop shop spent a long time, pulled out the actual blue print from the prop mfg. and guaranteed it's perfect. 

What else could it possibly be???

On 6/17/2020 at 6:57 PM, shawndoggy said:

yeah I agree... sounds like the prop shop "did something" to your prop.  

I brought the prop back, and they had increase the cup to a .3"-.5" the first time. They brought it back down to the .15"-.2" where it is supposed to be. I just had it out yesterday, Tops out at about 45mph and around 5,400 rpm's. Used to hit 50mph at around 5k rpms. Hole shot is awesome as always, so if it was a trans issues, then I would feel it in the hole shot as well......right?

On 6/17/2020 at 9:21 PM, formerathlete said:

If you don't already have a spare, buy a 2277 or 2279 and try it out. If you like it better (I bet you will), use your modified 2247 as the spare.

What would this 2277/2279 do in performance as compared to my current 2247? 

5500 RPM is normal. That's actually the computer controlled RPM limit. The computer won't let it go any higher.

I'm somewhat skeptical that you were hitting 50mph on that prop. HP doesn't really matter when it comes to top end, it's a simple math equation regarding RPM, transmission gear ratio and prop size. I've never seen a boat with a 15x14.25 (regardless of cup) hit 50mph.

Edited by boardjnky4
8 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

5500 RPM is normal. That's actually the computer controlled RPM limit. The computer won't let it go any higher.

I'm somewhat skeptical that you were hitting 50mph on that prop. HP doesn't really matter when it comes to top end, it's a simple math equation regarding RPM, transmission gear ratio and prop size. I've never seen a boat with a 15x14.25 (regardless of cup) hit 50mph.

I was hitting 48-50mph regularly topped out. 

Do you do a bunch of heavy loading and surfing with it?  If not, with that engine, you could definitely pull more prop.  A higher second number is higher pitch, meaning the prop moves further in a straight line per rotation.  This will lower your RPM and increase your top end.  You'll sacrifice holeshot a bit.

3 hours ago, MalibuRyan said:

What would this 2277/2279 do in performance as compared to my current 2247? 

You'll see lower RPM's at surf speeds, a slightly higher top-end speed (due to 15.75" pitch vs 14.25") at the expense of a little bit of holeshot.

For example on our A22 with the Monsoon 409, it came stock with a 2249 (14.25"/.105 cup) and would cruise at about 23mph at 3500 rpm at sea level. With the switch to the 2279 (15.75"/.105 cup), we now cruise at about 26mph at 3500. Our RPM's at surf speed (11mph) went from 37-3800 (if I remember correctly) with the 2249 to 34-3500 with the 2279 (both with PW at 3 and 3100lbs of ballast, 2 adults, 2 kids).

I don't recall the difference in top end speed with either prop. But it's safe to say your RPM's will be a bit lower than they were at a given speed. With your engine, I'd imagine you'll still have PLENTY of holeshot with the taller prop. And BTW, the only difference b/w the 2277 and 2279 is the cup. The 2277 has a bit more cup (.150 to .105), so it will be a bit further way from the 2247 than the 2279 is, if that makes sense. Though some say the difference isn't noticeable or is barely noticeable (between 2277 and 2279).

Hope that helps, good luck.

53 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

You'll see lower RPM's at surf speeds, a slightly higher top-end speed (due to 15.75" pitch vs 14.25") at the expense of a little bit of holeshot.

For example on our A22 with the Monsoon 409, it came stock with a 2249 (14.25"/.105 cup) and would cruise at about 23mph at 3500 rpm at sea level. With the switch to the 2279 (15.75"/.105 cup), we now cruise at about 26mph at 3500. Our RPM's at surf speed (11mph) went from 37-3800 (if I remember correctly) with the 2249 to 34-3500 with the 2279 (both with PW at 3 and 3100lbs of ballast, 2 adults, 2 kids).

I don't recall the difference in top end speed with either prop. But it's safe to say your RPM's will be a bit lower than they were at a given speed. With your engine, I'd imagine you'll still have PLENTY of holeshot with the taller prop. And BTW, the only difference b/w the 2277 and 2279 is the cup. The 2277 has a bit more cup (.150 to .105), so it will be a bit further way from the 2247 than the 2279 is, if that makes sense. Though some say the difference isn't noticeable or is barely noticeable (between 2277 and 2279).

Hope that helps, good luck.

I appreciate the detailed response. That is something to think about for sure! I do love the hole shot, one of my favorite things lol. I was very happy with the way it performed before getting the prop fixed, just not sure what's going on. Very frustrating.