Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone HAD to Swap Out 3-Lobe Lenco Control Box?

I'm looking to hear from folks that ended up having to swap out their 3-lobe Lenco control box when you replaced your factory wedge actuators with the 5-lobe version. I've got 2 new actuators coming from Bakes right now and plan on swapping mine out without doing the control box and see how the gauge works but for all the talk saying you have to replace everything to get the system to work correctly, I've never actually seen a case on here where someone had to replace the control box. The disclaimer on Bakes even says it's rarely necessary. I actually replaced the actuators on my previous boat (2007 VLX) without issue but my current boat is a 2011 LSV and the system is different. I'm hoping the outcome is the same but I'm curious if anyone could share their experience where the old control box proved to be an issue with operating the wedge after swapping the actuators. I don't want to do it unnecessarily but I'm also not afraid to swap it out if I absolutely have to since I plan on doing the work myself anyway. The problem I've seen is that per the conversion guide linked below from Lenco's site, the 5-lobe replacement for my current control box (30226-002) isn't readily available online. I even emailed Lenco about it and this was the response I got, "The control boxes are only left in a very limited quantity.  So, they are not open for distributors to stock any longer.  They can only be ordered on a case by case special order basis.  So, you will have to have a supplier order one for you." The optimistic side of me hopes they don't make them much anymore because they aren't actually needed but who knows. Thanks in advance for any insight anyone may have to offer.

https://www.lencomarine.com/-/media/inriver/Ski_Boat_5_Lobe_Actuator_Upgrade_Conversion_Guide_2018_TCHDAT.pdf?modified=20200225160738

I have had a few issues using the new actuators with the old control box.  Most often the gauge will not be accurate, but I have also seen limited or incorrect movement of the different wedge positions.

8 hours ago, csleaver said:

I have had a few issues using the new actuators with the old control box.  Most often the gauge will not be accurate, but I have also seen limited or incorrect movement of the different wedge positions.

What year model is your boat? Also, are you saying that it works correctly sometimes and other times you have problems or is it a constant thing? As long as the wedge operates and it's just a matter of me learning how to adjust it with an inaccurate gauge, I should be able to figure it out. I guess my biggest concern is making sure I can fully stow it when necessary and it not getting hung up because the gauge thinks it's all the way up when it's not. 

I dealt with this same issue 3 years ago.  No one could tell me how the old box knows the difference between 3 or 5 lobe.  My gauge didn't work after the actuator swap and I got tired of not knowing exactly where the wedge was set.  Ordered the new box, popped it in, and the gauge worked perfectly.  

I also read all the conflicting information, some say they needed the new box and some did not.  I'd say your plan is good to just do the actuators first and see what happens.  

2 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I dealt with this same issue 3 years ago.  No one could tell me how the old box knows the difference between 3 or 5 lobe.  My gauge didn't work after the actuator swap and I got tired of not knowing exactly where the wedge was set.  Ordered the new box, popped it in, and the gauge worked perfectly.  

I also read all the conflicting information, some say they needed the new box and some did not.  I'd say your plan is good to just do the actuators first and see what happens.  

Thanks for sharing. Where did you end up getting your new box and do you remember how much you paid for it? Like I mentioned above, it doesn't appear that they are readily available online.

15 hours ago, statefan said:

What year model is your boat? Also, are you saying that it works correctly sometimes and other times you have problems or is it a constant thing? As long as the wedge operates and it's just a matter of me learning how to adjust it with an inaccurate gauge, I should be able to figure it out. I guess my biggest concern is making sure I can fully stow it when necessary and it not getting hung up because the gauge thinks it's all the way up when it's not. 

The wedge movement issues were repeatable and not intermittent.  I would be able to deploy and stow the wedge normally, but if I moved the wedge above the third drag position I would get an alarm at the helm about the wedge position.  This usually happened on 2006 to 2007 and some 2010 to 2011 Malibu boats.  

The 2008, 2009 and some 2010 models used an external sensor on the wedge with no Lenco box and it didn't matter if the 5 lobe actuators were used in place of the 3 lobe ones.  The 2006, 2007, some 2010 (with Lenco boxes) and 2011 required a box replacement with the 5 lobe actuators to make the gauge work and get all of the drag positions to work correctly without an alarm.  By 2012, the 5 lobe actuators were in regular use from the factory.

5 hours ago, csleaver said:

The wedge movement issues were repeatable and not intermittent.  I would be able to deploy and stow the wedge normally, but if I moved the wedge above the third drag position I would get an alarm at the helm about the wedge position.  This usually happened on 2006 to 2007 and some 2010 to 2011 Malibu boats.  

The 2008, 2009 and some 2010 models used an external sensor on the wedge with no Lenco box and it didn't matter if the 5 lobe actuators were used in place of the 3 lobe ones.  The 2006, 2007, some 2010 (with Lenco boxes) and 2011 required a box replacement with the 5 lobe actuators to make the gauge work and get all of the drag positions to work correctly without an alarm.  By 2012, the 5 lobe actuators were in regular use from the factory.

Great information....thanks! In the file I linked in my original post it has a number of 5-lobe control box model numbers that correspond with the existing 3-lobe box. Do you know how important those numbers actually are? Seems like since all the Malibu boats on there require the 15060-001 actuators that technically you'd be able to use any of the 3 model numbers listed for Malibu boats since I'd be replacing all the components. I ask because my boat is a 2011 and I suspect I may be one of the unlucky ones that has to replace the control box and the model number I need according to that guide is a 30271-0035D but these are also difficult to find online. Any insight you could offer on these model numbers and/or best way to get one of these 5-lobe boxes would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

39 minutes ago, statefan said:

Great information....thanks! In the file I linked in my original post it has a number of 5-lobe control box model numbers that correspond with the existing 3-lobe box. Do you know how important those numbers actually are? Seems like since all the Malibu boats on there require the 15060-001 actuators that technically you'd be able to use any of the 3 model numbers listed for Malibu boats since I'd be replacing all the components. I ask because my boat is a 2011 and I suspect I may be one of the unlucky ones that has to replace the control box and the model number I need according to that guide is a 30271-0035D but these are also difficult to find online. Any insight you could offer on these model numbers and/or best way to get one of these 5-lobe boxes would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

Malibu can’t sell retail.  You’ll need 1 of the 2 options below:

Malibu #6174034/Lenco # 30271-0025

Malibu #6174035/Lenco # 30271-0035 (if you have the Maliview option)

Kerri R. Johns

Service Parts Purchasing

Malibu Boats, LLC

865-458-7213 office & fax

Hey Kerri,

I’d like to revisit what we talked about below a year ago. I’m at the Malibu/Axis nation wide gathering on Norris Lake. Im in desperate need of this wedge control box:

Malibu #6174034/Lenco # 30271-0025

We are able to travel to the Malibu plant for this or a nearby dealer who has it in stock. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Nate Nemire

Nate, unfortunately, I have no way to determine what dealers have that part in stock.  I would check with No Wake Marine.  If they don’t have it, you could order thru them and we could drop-ship overnight to an address at Norris.  Or, you could order thru them and come here to pick it up.  Let me know which route it goes and I’ll be ready.  Thanks.

Kerri R. Johns

Service Parts Purchasing

Malibu Boats, LLC

1 hour ago, Ndawg12 said:

Malibu can’t sell retail.  You’ll need 1 of the 2 options below:

Kerri R. Johns

Service Parts Purchasing

Malibu Boats, LLC

Hey Kerri,

I’d like to revisit what we talked about below a year ago. I’m at the Malibu/Axis nation wide gathering on Norris Lake. Im in desperate need of this wedge control box:

Malibu #6174034/Lenco # 30271-0025

We are able to travel to the Malibu plant for this or a nearby dealer who has it in stock. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Nate Nemire

Nate, unfortunately, I have no way to determine what dealers have that part in stock.  I would check with No Wake Marine.  If they don’t have it, you could order thru them and we could drop-ship overnight to an address at Norris.  Or, you could order thru them and come here to pick it up.  Let me know which route it goes and I’ll be ready.  Thanks.

Kerri R. Johns

Service Parts Purchasing

Malibu Boats, LLC

This is very helpful. Did you end up ordering it through No Wake Marine? Also, do you mind sharing how much you paid for it? I sent an email to my local dealer here in Raleigh and they replied quickly that Malibu did have the part in stock but that it was $1400. Everything I had seen online led me to believe it was in the $300-400 range. 

Bakes can get them for $765 so we are already half the price of my local dealer. No Wake Marine said they can get them too but I'm waiting to hear back on the price. 

I have 2011 23 LSV have had since 2011  800+ hours.  Have had actuator problem twice. 1st time probably 6 years ago.  Swapped from a 3lobe to 5 no problem.  Did Not swap the box. Worked great but had an occasional wedge fault issuel but would cycle the power to reset.  Swapped actuators again last fall. ** No issues unit this past weekend, the wedge was stuck at peak wave.  Idled back, charged batteries, no go.  Unplugged everything plugged everything in still not go.  Checked fuses in Wedge Up /Down, still no go.  ***Today - Found a 20 amp fuse blown in a red protected holder just off the Viper Box.  Problem solved.  Still same original Viper Box - knock on wood.  Good Luck.

On 6/16/2020 at 11:44 AM, statefan said:

alk saying you have to replace everything to get the system to work correctly, I've never actually seen a case on here where someone had to replace the control box. The disclaimer on Bakes even says it's rarely necessary. I actually replaced the actuators on my previous boat (2007 VLX) without issue but my current boat is a 2011 LSV and the system is different. I'm hoping the outcome is the same but I'm curious if anyone could share their experience where the ol

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tmryan said:

How did the replacement go?  I have a 2011 23 LSV and am putting the 5 lobe actuators in later this week.

Swapped the 3 lobe for 5 lobe on our 2011, never had an issue. Did not replace viper box.

I finally got around to replacing my actuators last Thursday and used the wedge all weekend without issue so I think I'm in the clear leaving my old 3 lobe box in. I did end up getting a quote back from Hodges Marine for $699 for them to special order the box just in case anyone finds themselves in a situation where they need to order one. I got 2 quotes from Malibu dealers for the box who both claimed they get them directly from the factory and the price would be $1400 so definitely get it from an outside vendor if you need one. 

Edited by statefan

I'd be interested to know what model number box you have.  Sounds like 2011 might be the first year where the box swap isn't needed.  I wonder if it's either of these:

3 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

I'd be interested to know what model number box you have.  Sounds like 2011 might be the first year where the box swap isn't needed.  I wonder if it's either of these:

My 07 didn’t need the box when I went to 5 lobe either

2 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

My 2011 definitely has a 3 lobe box. The model number is 30226-002.

Use this conversion guide to tell what 5 lobe box you'd need if you have to swap:

https://www.lencomarine.com/-/media/inriver/Ski_Boat_5_Lobe_Actuator_Upgrade_Conversion_Guide_2018_TCHDAT.pdf?modified=20200225160738

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@TMRYAN - what year and model?  I have a 2006 VLX and I can only get the new 5 lobes to push the wedge down - not up.  Thinking I need the module as well?

Anyone have any tips?

14 hours ago, Dunny said:

@TMRYAN - what year and model?  I have a 2006 VLX and I can only get the new 5 lobes to push the wedge down - not up.  Thinking I need the module as well?

Anyone have any tips?

to stow don't you have to be moving? i.e. speed sensitive

Edited by granddaddy55