Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Strut for Engine Cover

My 2003 Malibu Waksetter VLX engine cover will not stay open. I replaced the struts with what model number they had previously but it still wont stay open. What I have on there currently is SPD-GSNI-5200-30 which is 30lbs 17'' extended. However, these do not keep it up. Getting tired of propping it up with a piece of 2x4. Anyone know the stock struts are for the engine cover? 

You put on a pair of 30 pounders and it won't stay up?  That doesn't seem right.  Are you sure they were still good and installed in the correct direction to keep the seal and wiper lubricated?

I am sure they were installed the correct direction. I am not sure they were good. Got them at a local RV shop where they keep all struts in a dusty pile. I could buy another pair was just reluctant if they were not the right size/weight. 

My model is a 2002 23 LSV, so YMMV but the center locker on the v-drives has a long arm (lots of leverage) that the struts must overcome to get that door up...I too had the same issue and went with a higher pressure, utilizing the SPD-GSNI-5000-10 (from the same seller) and have not had issues yet.  I will say that it was probably a bit of an "over push" when opening during the first season but the ensuing 4 years has been perfect.  Having said that, just last week I noticed that the last few inches it needed to be pushed to get nearly vertical, but looking at my records I see that I bought them in 2014, so there's that.

MalibuNation

Too funny as yesterday I was looking for something in my pile of boat parts and saw some spare struts I have and wondered if anyone here will ask about them.  Low a behold I get up this am and see this post.  On my 2003  21' Sunscape LSV the stock struts are the ones you're using: SPD-GSNI-5200-30.  I've had to replace all 6 of mine.  Both for the lockers and engine hatch.  Cheapest I found was on Amazon.

• 7 months later...

I just bought a 2003 VLX, are there two struts on the engine cover? I only have brackets on one side, doesn’t appear the other side is missing brackets, needless to say I have a lot of projects on my boat and this is on my list. 

I believe my OEM ones were 40lb struts, but I went with 50 because they were sagging and wanted to make sure the hatch didn't come down onto someone.  My part number is SPD-GSNI-5200-50.  The last 2 digits refers to the pressure, e.g. my old part number was SPD-GSNI-5200-40.  Not sure if yours is different, but I had one on each side, so YMMV.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Spring-SPD-GSNI-5200-50-or-LGP6-170-50-Strut-Prop-Rod-RV-Camper-Hatch-Door/291011362687?hash=item43c1a0ff7f:g:JDoAAOxywZ1SMJlx

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Maliblue93401 said:

I just bought a 2003 VLX, are there two struts on the engine cover? I only have brackets on one side, doesn’t appear the other side is missing brackets, needless to say I have a lot of projects on my boat and this is on my list. 

I'm a little confused are you missing brackets?  That would be a strange thing to be missing.  Yes you should have 2 struts for the engine cover.  On my 2003 21' Sunscspe LSV the part number is:

SPD-GSNI-5200-30.  You certainly can get one a little stronger.  I get mine from Amazon.