Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A24 at 7,000 ft?

KaiD

I'm looking at getting a new boat. I live at 7,000 ft and am wondering if a 2018+ A24 with the 2:1 transmission will surf well with the base motor, 450 or M6? The dealer thinks we will be fine but I doubt they will drive 2 hours to demo at elevation. I'm a little skeptical after reading lots of posts here and they don't have any A24's with the 450 or M6, just a 2020 A24 with M5 coming in a few weeks and a 2018 with the 410 being traded in soon. My brother has a 2014 vlx with the 350 and it has a lot of trouble getting up to surf speed with over 50% pnp ballast or with lots of people. Will the A24 with the 17" x 14" prop and 2:1 transmission work or do we need to look at a smaller axis/malibu with 450/M6 or Malibu with a SC engine? 

Thanks for any advice.

I saw 7k feet and figured it must be Flagstaff:).  Miss that place... went to NAU and lived there for about 7 years.  Had a heck of a time getting my Waverunner to perform out at Lake Mary.  I don't have an answer for you but I would think the M6 with the right prop would work.  i'd stay away from the M5... that might be a real challenge at 7k on a 24 foot boat.  Obviously a SC motor is ideal... pretty much built for scenarios like yours.

ahopkins22LSV

Min M6. I’d be very tempted to put off all other options to go Lt4 though. You can easily add stereo, lights, soft grip, pretty much anything but engine, wedge, and surf gate after the fact comparing to trying to add those. 

• Like 1