Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Premium Gas not Available?

timmypop

Headed to Powell in a couple of weeks. I am assuming there is no premium gas available for my boat. I'm guessing I need to do octane boost when I fill up. 

Anyone have experience or do you just go with what they have for the moment. I would only be filling up a couple of times in the week. Should I worry?

Do you have a 575 supercharged engine??

we filled up in page with premium and filled 25gal worth of 5gal jugs, I topped off 3days in day with 20gal of regular at dangling rope. 

I didn’t use as much fuel as I though I was going to use

i was under the impression the MD5/6 needed only 87 octane 

Fuel info here. 
https://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/boater-resources/fuel-prices/

The one time I filled there and didn’t run premium the engine knocked so bad it threw a code. I now keep bottles of octane booster in my boat. 
Lucas Oil 10026-PK12 Octane Booster - 15 oz (Pack of 12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OZL9OQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6KA5EbR6DHE09

16 hours ago, RyanB said:

Fuel info here. 
https://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/boater-resources/fuel-prices/

The one time I filled there and didn’t run premium the engine knocked so bad it threw a code. I now keep bottles of octane booster in my boat. 
Lucas Oil 10026-PK12 Octane Booster - 15 oz (Pack of 12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OZL9OQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6KA5EbR6DHE09

Ive never been able to trust this stuff.  Nowhere on the bottle nor could i find on their site does Lucas say what the ACTUAL resulting octane rating will be.  It says "treats up to XX gallons".  Well, if you are supposed to get 30 points of octane (3 actually octane numbers), what concentration does that take? 1 gallon?  2 gallons? 5 gallons?  You can't expect to get 30 points at 5 gallons AND 15 gallons from the same bottle.  I wish Lucas would publish a chart so people really knew what they were getting with each bottle vs. the amount of gas they are "treating".

From Royal Purple's website claiming 30 points:

One can treats up to 25 gallons of gasoline. Do not exceed 2 ounces of Max-Boost per gallon of fuel.

Its a 16 oz bottle.  The "warning" makes me believe that you get 3 octane numbers at a 2 oz/1 gal of gas.  Following that logic, a single 16 oz can only get 3 octane numbers for 8 gallons of gas.  And a single 16 oz can nets you just under 1 octane number when "treats up to 25 gallons".   But again, RP doesn't offer an actual chart indicating how much octane boost you get at different concentrates. 

Edited by Texan32

Torco does actually offer a chart. Its interesting how their formula works though.  To treat 5 gallons, it takes 8 oz of additive to achieve 4 octane points.  But another 8 oz (16 total) nets an additional 7 octane points.  But you have to add another 16 oz (32 total) and you only get 3 more octane points. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 4.11.19 PM.png

Edited by Texan32
2 hours ago, Texan32 said:

Ive never been able to trust this stuff.  Nowhere on the bottle nor could i find on their site does Lucas say what the ACTUAL resulting octane rating will be.  It says "treats up to XX gallons".  Well, if you are supposed to get 30 points of octane (3 actually octane numbers), what concentration does that take? 1 gallon?  2 gallons? 5 gallons?  You can't expect to get 30 points at 5 gallons AND 15 gallons from the same bottle.  I wish Lucas would publish a chart so people really knew what they were getting with each bottle vs. the amount of gas they are "treating".

From Royal Purple's website claiming 30 points:

Its a 16 oz bottle.  The "warning" makes me believe that you get 3 octane numbers at a 2 oz/1 gal of gas.  Following that logic, a single 16 oz can only get 3 octane numbers for 8 gallons of gas.  And a single 16 oz can nets you just under 1 octane number when "treats up to 25 gallons".   But again, RP doesn't offer an actual chart indicating how much octane boost you get at different concentrates. 

You’re probably right. I just know that the boat runs fine when I add it to 20 gallons of 89 octane. 

Octane is measured in several different ways, but primarily by changing the compression ratio of a test engine to see when it knocks with a specific fuel.  Since that basically involves finding a specific absolute pressure that detonation begins, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that octane rating changes with the square root of the amount of octane booster added to the fuel. 

24 minutes ago, RyanB said:

You’re probably right. I just know that the boat runs fine when I add it to 20 gallons of 89 octane. 

And really, as long as the Knock Monster stays away....that’s all that matters. 

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Powell gives you a little bit of benefit being at 3600' elevation as well. 

Yep. It’s nice for us to go to those low elevation lakes. ;)