Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best products/techniques for deep cleaning vinyl seats?

Been looking for some good advice on how to detail my vinyl seats?  some detailers use degreaser, others say that a big no no for long term care.  Magic erase, some say yes, others a hard no.  I do have some great protectant (with UV protection) for after I get them nice and purdy...

Right now, I'm thinking a nice medium nylon brush, soapy hot water, and soft cloth...

Any opinions, or experience is appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by mofaster

A bleach solution will get stuff off that nothing else will.  Start with a low concentration then get stronger if necessary.   Only use if Vinyl Sauce does not.   Rinse right away with a hose and the use 303 when dry.

Talking to the guys at the cleaning shop at my local marina they suggest the magic eraser for stubborn stains. Anything you do should be tested on an out of sight spot first to make sure it’s not going to strip anything. 

1 hour ago, Pilotguy said:

they suggest the magic eraser for stubborn stains.

Bad advice.  Magic Eraser is made from melamine foam and is a mild abrasive. You'll scratch off the top coating on the vinyl.

• Like 2

I have had very good success with soft scrub Non Bleach bathroom cleaner and a sponge.  I use warm water and put the cleaner right on the sponge.  Rinse well.  You can use a soft bristle brush for tough spots.  Make sure its non bleach. Anything with bleach will damage the stitches and cause issues later.

I bought a cheap steamer from Harbor Freight that works just fine and needs no chemicals.  Gets all the grime from the little pours and creases on the vinyl.  I will use this with a bit of soapy water for tougher spots.  Works great on the carpets as well.  

9 hours ago, Awest said:

I bought a cheap steamer from Harbor Freight that works just fine and needs no chemicals.  Gets all the grime from the little pours and creases on the vinyl.  I will use this with a bit of soapy water for tougher spots.  Works great on the carpets as well.  

Thanks everyone for all the responses.  Awest, we just got a high end steamer for cleaning the grout, I will give that a whirl first and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

1 minute ago, mofaster said:

Awest, we just got a high end steamer for cleaning the grout, I will give that a whirl first and see how it goes.

I have a semi-commercial high-pressure steamer I use for detailing pretty much everything car and boat related.  It is the bees knees.  There really isn't anything that can touch it for getting grime out of tight places and things like the seat stitching.  

We use Mother's VLR (Vinyl, Leather, Rubber) Cleaner / Conditioner and a soft bristle brush for annual deep cleaning. Routinely use Babe's Seat Soap after every few uses.

8 hours ago, mofaster said:

Thanks everyone for all the responses.  Awest, we just got a high end steamer for cleaning the grout, I will give that a whirl first and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

You mind telling me what steamer you have? Been looking at a bunch but can't decide what to get.

Thanks,

Jason 

A good leather/vinyl cleaning brush is going to help a lot - I think the one I use is horsehair.  The key is having tons of gentle bristles and scrubbing in circles.

Helped a friend get mildew out of his vinyl after some water was trapped in his boat in storage.  We used a simple warm water and dawn dish soap and then when dry applied a vinyl/leather conditioner.  Worked great and the dawn was gentle on the vinyl.  The brush was the critical tool though as we were having a heck of a time with towels scrubbing away.  Put the dawn/water combo on with a soaked towel and let it sit for 30 seconds, scrub, let sit again, scrub and wipe off.  Rinse with water after, dry, coat with favorite protectant.

12 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I have a semi-commercial high-pressure steamer I use for detailing pretty much everything car and boat related.  It is the bees knees.  There really isn't anything that can touch it for getting grime out of tight places and things like the seat stitching.  

I bought a Dupray Tosca a couple years ago.  https://dupray.ca/products/tosca-steam-cleaner/

It's pricey but holy crap... this thing is worth its weight in gold... I use it for EVERYTHING.  House, car, boat it can clean anything and everything.  Best detailing tool I have ever owned.

5 hours ago, statewidejason said:

You mind telling me what steamer you have? Been looking at a bunch but can't decide what to get.

Thanks,

Jason 

We bought a Dupray also, and had amazing success with usage in the house.  So, from other's input, sounds like the steamer will be a good option.

https://dupray.com/products/neat-steam-cleaner/