Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Truck Rental for Towing

Delpiero

Hi,

Does anyone know of any company that rents pick up trucks for towing one way trip?

I need to rent a truck to go from Portland, Oregon to Las Vegas, Nevada, about 16 hours drive.

My plan is to fly over there and rent a pick up then bring a Malibu 23 LSV..

Enterprise trucks does not allow one way.. any ideas about doing this?

I used UShip. Cheaper than renting a vehicle for me. Go online to site, post the job and various companies bid on it. I had a 23LSV driven out to MN from California for I think $1600. Options include towing, flatbed etc. 

My buddy just bought a fishing out from Flagstaff and drove it to SF bay last week. He flew to Phoenix, rented a Uhaul box truck (they dont rent pick ups one way) drove to Flagstaff, bought the boat and drove back to the bay area.

That is all you can do if you want to DIY.

Edited by twitchee2

I used Enterprise Truck Rental (this is distinct from Enterprise Car Rental) to pull my boat from Houston, TX to Huntsville, AL over Memorial Day weekend.  I rented a 3/4 ton truck because while I typically use my Yukon to pull the boat, I didn't want to put the miles on it for this long of a trip.   It was a round trip, so not sure about a one way rental.  I thought it was a reasonable rate and came with unlimited miles.

What about renting a full-size SUV (GMC Yukon, etc.) that has a 2" receiver & trailer wiring as standard equipment?  You'd have to bring/buy your own insert/tow ball and make sure your personal insurance would cover you as well as not tell the rental company. It's a bit shady, but possible.

2 minutes ago, mikeo said:

What about renting a full-size SUV (GMC Yukon, etc.) that has a 2" receiver & trailer wiring as standard equipment?  You'd have to bring/buy your own insert/tow ball and make sure your personal insurance would cover you as well as not tell the rental company. It's a bit shady, but possible.

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't put a locked plug into the receiver to prevent this.

1 minute ago, tbullard said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't put a locked plug into the receiver to prevent this.

I've never looked that close, but anything is possible. I discovered years ago that some rental passenger cars have a "spare" set of keys in the spare tire carrier area in the trunk. 

2 hours ago, tbullard said:

I rent vehicles all the time. Usually from National  or Hertz, and probably 25% of the time it is a full size SUV. I’ve never seen one with a lock in the receiver. They have a hard enough time keeping track of car keys when a vehicle moves location to location. I can’t imagine any of them adding a lock to the receiver to prevent towing. 

All that said, I’m still not sure that doing something prohibited in the rental contract is a wise move. 

• Like 3

You can get a hottshotter to put the whole thing on a flatbed for around a $1.50 a mile.    My cousin just shipped one coast to coast for about that.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 1 month later...
On 6/13/2020 at 2:50 PM, UWSkier said:

I tried the same. Portland to Phoenix. Ended up going with a transporter instead. 

National brand? Did you just google?

Ushippers seem high right now. 1800 mile for $3000/towed behind pickup.