Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement key

Wooley15MXZ

Bought a 2015 Wakesetter MXZ 24 three years ago, used.   It has the push button start, but no key.  Have read in manual that some have a "engine starting code" where you can set a pin and lock the screen to prevent unauthorized use.  My system does not have that.   The panel beneath the throttle next to the emergency engine stop switch that has some of the circuit breakers a keyhole, but no key.     I've read that this is likely the best way to lock the starter from unauthorized use.    Is this "key" model / HIN specific, or can you simply buy a replacement key?   Where can you get the key?   I've tried to contact 2 separate Malibu dealers and they don't understand what I'm talking about.  One said he would have to "call Malibu".   Does Malibu have a number you can contact direct?

That is a backup manual key in case the screen fails.  So it will start the boat, but not "lockout" the screen.  Your system will have the option to set an engine PIN.  I forget what menu it is in, but go through the settings tab on the 7" screen and you'll find in there a place to enable the start code and then you choose it.  

• Like 2

You can call Malibu - their number is on their website.  Basically you just need to ask for an ignition key for the boat....they should be able to look up the hull of your boat to pull up the relevant info for your boat to do that.

As for the code, you can shut that off (guessing the previous owner did that).  I don't remember exactly where it is in the settings, but look in there and you should see an option to change the code and require the code to turn the boat on.  If you don't have the key, you can still start the boat using the push button.  If you are looking to lock people out, your best bet would be to take the key with you and set up a pin to start the boat.

We use the key on our boat for emergency situations, like floating into rocks (never had this happen) and need to start it up quickly instead of waiting for the boat computer system to start up.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.   I'll try to give Malibu a call on the ignition key.   Should be on the boat this weekend, and I'll see if I can pull up the Settings for the Engine Starting Code.  I've gone through those menus a number of times, and don't recall seeing the menu for that, so I'm guessing that a system reset is required for it to pull up.

If I do a system reset, I assume it will change all the presets that we have put in.

59 minutes ago, Wooley15MXZ said:

If I do a system reset, I assume it will change all the presets that we have put in.

Yep. Make sure you copy the settings before you do the reset. I usually just take a picture of each one.

• Like 1