Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04' 23 LSV Tranny Hot ZF Hurth 45CW

Hello Malibu Crew,

I have had my boat 2004 23LSV, now since 80 hours. I am very good about the maintenance for this boat and keep her in tip top shape. I am now approaching 500hrs. she has the 340 monsoon.  Recently everyone has decided that wake boarding is out and surfing is in... So in order to get the monster wave I have to put two 750lb bags, fill up the four tanks, sit everyone in the back and presto, monster wave. 

Problem is, the boat works pretty hard and I was doing a long surf run for a couple people (5 hours straight) and noticed that off the line the tranny was slightly hesitant off the line for one of the pulls. I decided to let it idle for a while to let the water to help cool it down. (recently replaced the tranny cooler 487 hours). 

I have a new censor on the side of the transmission block and know it is good and the water impeller gets changed each season. Boat engine temp  never exceeds 160, never throws any codes. 

Is anyone else finding that their tranny is getting hot hot? 

- Reason I ask is the V-drive is not getting hot, the engine is not hot, I  know the tranny is under heavy load but I cannot touch it and feel like it needs to not run soo hot.

Is there a external cooling option out there or has anyone made one? 

Is there a live read out censor made for this transmission I could then mount a gauge near helm? 

Would love some input for I don't want to destroy the tranny doing the most pointless activity.... Once I empty the boat out and lose the fin the boat cools and runs great! 

Last side comment, when I put the fin on the right side of the boat, the boat does not want to turn at all to the left. Almost feels impossible. Last season I replaced all the components with the steering so that is new. Can I leverage the steering wheel to help with the turning to the left or am I going to break something???

Thank you to whoever takes the time to read this~!

Edited by MalibuTrev

A couple observations. One incident may not necessarily be a problem. I have encountered so many variables with surf set ups, current and weather changes that I would swear that I broke something after I noticed a change in performance. I am pretty much like you it sounds like. Hard corp maintenance and a little worried when I feel a stumble. Even more so on my slave to the computer 2019. I did notice on my 2010 that the trans would get hot, which I attributed to heat soak from the block. 1024 hours and never a problem with it in that regard. You could get a reasonably priced thermal scanner to establish a base line for a given activity. If you were running it for as long as you were and haven't changed the trans fluid it may be a sign that it needs replacing or at a minimum topped off. The suck gate, Mission SG or whatever wave making device that you have is going to mess up your turning capabilities. 

Wdr,

Appreciate the response. I am now changing my oil every 50-75 hours of on my transmission, engine, V-drive when doing heavy surfing. I did pull a tranny sample and it did show some break down on the fluid after pretty much 70 hours of hard surfing from last season. I am very observant and want to make sure the boat does not give out before the 4th... I have a big proposal planned that day and have three surf weekends ahead of me. I sourced out a backup transmission in case this one for whatever reason gives out.  After this season I am going to consider selling it and getting a newer style boat that is surf/single ski friendly. I am over the fat sacks, the fin, punishment on the engine. I am considering a 21' VTX with the diamond hull. Hopefully will have the M6 engine 6.2 motor from Indmar.  Again thank you!

To add on to @wdr observations.  

When was the last time the tranny and v-drive fluids were changed?  Water flows in from the hull --> thru the V-drive --> thru the transmission cooler --> then thru the engine.  Tranny cooler could be partially blocked but if the engine is running within specs, hard to say.

What prop are you running?  And what type of RPMs are you seeing?

Is the Transmission hot  if you just go out for a cruise?

What type of wake device do you have on the side?  I use a homemade one and it doesn't seem to impact the steering too much.  

I change the oil's for the three components every 50 hours. 

I just ordered the ACME 1235 prop; 

I am using the stock prop that came with it and cannot recall the number off the prop. My rpm's is right between 2,900 & 3,100. 

The tranny is not hot when I am cruising. I have verified that. 

The device on the side is is a suction cup fin, cant recall the name off the top of my head. 

19 hours ago, MalibuTrev said:

I change the oil's for the three components every 50 hours. 

I just ordered the ACME 1235 prop; 

I am using the stock prop that came with it and cannot recall the number off the prop. My rpm's is right between 2,900 & 3,100. 

The tranny is not hot when I am cruising. I have verified that. 

The device on the side is is a suction cup fin, cant recall the name off the top of my head. 

if not hot or showing discoloration wear snd tear that i never see in 200 hours of surfing and riding then the ATF is seasonal,  50 hour tranny/vdrive is serious overkill, though i do realize $9-12 of atf and your time is no big deal 

I get the ATF through my work for free and it takes me less than hour to pump it out and refill it. I just do it because I am nervous about the potential damage.