Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Excessive water in hull and engine compartment.

Teeps

So I just bought my first boat which is a 2005 23 lsv. It’s in great condition but when I put it in the water for the first time when buying it, it seems to take on excessive water in the engine compartment and all the way up to the middle ballast compartment. I made sure that I had all the plugs in before I launched but it still was taking on too much water. I pretty much had to have the bulge pump on the entire time I was out on the water. So I’m not sure if there’s some hose clamps that didn’t get tightened enough when summarizing it or what. If anyone has any input on what might be going on or what to look for that would be a huge help. Thank you. 

Shaft seal may be the most likely. Can you leave it on the trailer and dunk it....then immediately get in there and look to see where the water is coming in?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Teeps said:

That’s what I was going to do this weekend actually. Is that hard to replace? 

It requires removing the shaft, so you will also need to remove the prop. Its not a real hard job, just involved and you need a few specialty tools and having someone helping would make it easier.

While shaft is out, may be good to look at your cutlass bearing, you will likely wanna replace it on a 2005. You also want to do engine alignment after you put it all back together.

FYI... You may be able to tighten the shaft seal some and buy some more time, basically you want/need the shaft seal too drip a little,  just sounds like its pouring in at the moment

On 6/12/2020 at 7:08 AM, Infinitysurf said:

Shaft seal may be the most likely. Can you leave it on the trailer and dunk it....then immediately get in there and look to see where the water is coming in?

+1.  I had the same issues some years back and that is what it was.  Checkout the tread...

On 6/12/2020 at 9:03 AM, Teeps said:

So I just bought my first boat which is a 2005 23 lsv. It’s in great condition but when I put it in the water for the first time when buying it, it seems to take on excessive water in the engine compartment and all the way up to the middle ballast compartment. I made sure that I had all the plugs in before I launched but it still was taking on too much water. I pretty much had to have the bulge pump on the entire time I was out on the water. So I’m not sure if there’s some hose clamps that didn’t get tightened enough when summarizing it or what. If anyone has any input on what might be going on or what to look for that would be a huge help. Thank you. 

How many plugs do you have? I have three, different model boat but it’s not obvious.   

Also, while it may be a bad shaft seal, it is more likely a loose clamp or something that can be tightened.

If it is the shaft seal you can replace the stuffing rope without removing the shaft. 

Edited by Bozboat

Had a similar issue start this season.

Boat bone dry, put it in the water & looked for any water seeping in, nothing & barely a drop from the prop shaft.

Started the days activities & about an hour in the bilge came on.

Sure enough water in the hull.

Stopped the engine, could not see anything wrong.

Started the engine & found the leak.

The gasket from the raw water pump had pushed its way out the narrow edge & it was pumpng a good spray of water out.

Re seated the garket as it was not broken, problem fixed. Replaced the gasket with a new one befor the next outing