Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat runs horrible

11 minutes ago, Skyski1986 said:

How do I clean it?

Are there two connectors on the side of your throttle body?  Hard to tell from photos posted earlier.  Should be a TPS (rear sensor) and IAC (front sensor).  You can carefully remove that and clean it, but don't mess around with the depth.  It's a stepper motor with a plunger that is used to control airflow at idle.

Or you can hit it via the larger of the two squareish holes. 

Edited by UWSkier
24 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

It’s one of the squar-ish holes there in the throttle body. Parts/carb cleaner and a rag. Best bet would be remove the throttle body and everything from the boat and clean it all.

Ok

8 hours ago, justgary said:

... and you still need to change the plug wires.  Honest. 

Can I use the plug wire kit u cut to length? I blew the hole out in the throttle body and a bunch of crud came out way down deep below the butterfly

Yes, cut to length is good.  Changing one wire at a time will keep you from getting them crossed.  Any decent 7mm suppression kit should do fine. 

On 6/11/2020 at 5:01 PM, Skyski1986 said:

I changed it

Did you use the paste/grease that comes with it?  It's actually really important for cooling the ICM; when it overheats it causes issues or fails.

On 6/12/2020 at 6:30 PM, Skyski1986 said:

How do I clean it?

It's a fairly inexpensive part if you want to replace it (use 1999 Chevy Suburban 350 at your auto parts store), but either way:

5 hours ago, formulaben said:

Did you use the paste/grease that comes with it?  It's actually really important for cooling the ICM; when it overheats it causes issues or fails.

It's a fairly inexpensive part if you want to replace it (use 1999 Chevy Suburban 350 at your auto parts store), but either way:

Yes I used the paste on the connections

11 minutes ago, Skyski1986 said:

Yes I used the paste on the connections

Just to clarify, the paste gets slathered on the back of the ICM itself where it mounts to the plate for heat transfer. You did that, right? 

So I changed the plug wires on my boat and cleaned the throttle body again, I'm still smoking at an idle and at the end of the day she seems to be loading up, but if I give it some gas it cleans up

Edited by Skyski1986
1 hour ago, Skyski1986 said:

So I changed the plug wires on my boat and cleaned the throttle body again, I'm still smoking at an idle and at the end of the day she seems to be loading up, but if I give it some gas it cleans up

Think it's time to consider an injector cleaning. 

30 minutes ago, Skyski1986 said:

Not bad. Remove rails. Pull injectors. Mark each so you know which is which. Send them in. Wait few days. Watch for brown truck. Reverse process. 

On 6/10/2020 at 8:05 PM, Skyski1986 said:

It's almost three hours away and I was told I'd need to pay for it to be fixed

in my state you have 3 business days to void the deal by certified mail

Might not be a bad idea to change the title of the thread to 2005 boat runs horrible.

If someone else comes on here they may think you are talking about an actual new boat.

• Like 2
On 6/21/2020 at 10:14 PM, UWSkier said:

Not bad. Remove rails. Pull injectors. Mark each so you know which is which. Send them in. Wait few days. Watch for brown truck. Reverse process. 

You think it's possible my map sensor is bad? If so where can I find one?

11 hours ago, Skyski1986 said:

You think it's possible my map sensor is bad? If so where can I find one?

Any auto parts store should have one. 

So I changed map sensor today and I also cleaned the screen on the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator because indmar told me that's my issue, my idle is still rough and I'm still smoking

On 6/22/2020 at 11:04 AM, Skyski1986 said:

I run right around 160 degrees

Doesn't the 2002 have 2 temp sensors, one for the dash and another for the ECM?  Or am I confusing that with the oil sensors?

45 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Doesn't the 2002 have 2 temp sensors, one for the dash and another for the ECM?  Or am I confusing that with the oil sensors?

Three I think.  One either side of upper pulley and one in the top of the manifold.

On 6/26/2020 at 7:27 PM, Skyski1986 said:

So I changed map sensor today and I also cleaned the screen on the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator because indmar told me that's my issue, my idle is still rough and I'm still smoking

Please post a short video of the idle and smoke.

What is your normal idle RPM, and is "rough" a surge, or a cutout, or both?

Finally, remove the cover from the  engine control module and post a photo or figure out for yourself (part numbers and connector configuration) if you have MEFI2, MEFI4, or some other variety of ECM.