Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat runs horrible

18 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I feel pretty confident your ICM is bad based on you saying it runs OK sometimes and not others.

I changed it

7 minutes ago, Skyski1986 said:

I changed it

well crap.  Can you post some of the engine photos @justgary asked for?  Other things to think about are IAC and TPS... Also, you could pull your distributor and find out where the rotor is when cylinder 1 is at TDC and index the rotor off of that.  Suppose it could also be things like valves hanging up, though that'd usually only mean one or two cylinders would be struggling.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

well crap.  Can you post some of the engine photos @justgary asked for?  Other things to think about are IAC and TPS... Also, you could pull your distributor and find out where the rotor is when cylinder 1 is at TDC and index the rotor off of that.  Suppose it could also be things like valves hanging up, though that'd usually only mean one or two cylinders would be struggling.

How do I send pics on here?

Excellent photos.  You indeed have a multi-port injected engine.

Before you throw any parts at it, get a can of spray carb cleaner and clean the throttle body.  Get all the gunk off of both sides of the butterfly, in the two side passages, and especially on the sides of the throat where the butterfly rests at idle.  Look carefully for any little slits near where the butterfly rests and make sure they are clean.  You can remove the idle air control valve and clean it separately if you want to.

After you do that, start the engine and either use the carb cleaner or some decent decarbonizing product like sea foam in the throat (follow the manufacturer's instructions).  Consider doing it twice.  After that, see if it runs any better.

• Like 1

Oh, and definitely change the spark plug wires.  They look original.  That won't win any points in the spark department.  While you are at it, get a new cap and rotor.  Make sure they both have brass contacts (a marine variety should have brass instead of aluminum).

By the way, I'm not sure that engine is an '05, but maybe someone can confirm that for us.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, justgary said:

Oh, and definitely change the spark plug wires.  They look original.  That won't win any points in the spark department.  While you are at it, get a new cap and rotor.  Make sure they both have brass contacts (a marine variety should have brass instead of aluminum).

By the way, I'm not sure that engine is an '05, but maybe someone can confirm that for us.

I replaced cap and rotor, plugs, icm, fuel filters, drained all the fuel, allot of it I already did

10 minutes ago, justgary said:

Excellent photos.  You indeed have a multi-port injected engine.

Before you throw any parts at it, get a can of spray carb cleaner and clean the throttle body.  Get all the gunk off of both sides of the butterfly, in the two side passages, and especially on the sides of the throat where the butterfly rests at idle.  Look carefully for any little slits near where the butterfly rests and make sure they are clean.  You can remove the idle air control valve and clean it separately if you want to.

After you do that, start the engine and either use the carb cleaner or some decent decarbonizing product like sea foam in the throat (follow the manufacturer's instructions).  Consider doing it twice.  After that, see if it runs any better.

I did find carb cleaner under the driver seat after I bought it

It needs new wires.  Get new wires.  Did I mention new wires?  7mm suppression from the box store will work fine.

So I checked a few photos online and that looks like it probably is the '05 LCR engine.  Sorry if I startled you.

3 minutes ago, Skyski1986 said:

I did find carb cleaner under the driver seat after I bought it

Yeah, well they never used it.  Ever.

8 minutes ago, justgary said:

It needs new wires.  Get new wires.  Did I mention new wires?  7mm suppression from the box store will work fine.

So I checked a few photos online and that looks like it probably is the '05 LCR engine.  Sorry if I startled you.

Yeah, well they never used it.  Ever.

So I should clean the inside where the butterfly opens and closes? With that all gunked up it will cause the smoking and the cause of the motor loading up with fuel?

Yes, and carefully pull and clean the IAC if you have one.  There might be two sensors wired to the throttle body.  One would be the TPS (no reports) the other would be the IAC.

Do you happen to know if that boat was ever run in salt?  There's a lot of rust on the exhaust manifolds, but not the risers.  It looks like the risers may have been swapped out, which isn't all that common.  They're made of cast iron and last forever in fresh water.

2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Yes, and carefully pull and clean the IAC if you have one.  There might be two sensors wired to the throttle body.  One would be the TPS (no reports) the other would be the IAC.

Do you happen to know if that boat was ever run in salt?  There's a lot of rust on the exhaust manifolds, but not the risers.  It looks like the risers may have been swapped out, which isn't all that common.  They're made of cast iron and last forever in fresh water.

I'm not sure about the saltwater, how do I clean the sensors? The only thing I'm unsure is after cleaning it starting it and spraying more cleaner in the throat? Also for it being that dirty is it ok for all that junk to fall down into the motor after I spray it down?

5 minutes ago, Skyski1986 said:

I'm not sure about the saltwater, how do I clean the sensors? The only thing I'm unsure is after cleaning it starting it and spraying more cleaner in the throat? Also for it being that dirty is it ok for all that junk to fall down into the motor after I spray it down?

That stuff should get pulled into the cylinders and burnt up.  Wouldn't sweat it.  Get that good and clean.  On second thought I wouldn't sweat the IAC just now.  That's mostly for idle issues and yours sounds like it's more related to running at speed.

And if you do a good job cleaning the throat, butterfly, and side passages, you will probably get the IAC clean enough for now. 

I'm hoping that this is most of the problem.  You could have a clogged injector or something also, but let's see how it runs when it is clean. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, justgary said:

And if you do a good job cleaning the throat, butterfly, and side passages, you will probably get the IAC clean enough for now. 

I'm hoping that this is most of the problem.  You could have a clogged injector or something also, but let's see how it runs when it is clean. 

Boat runs 95 Percent better than yesterday now that I cleaned it, she is still smoking at an idle

So the boat runs allot better now that I cleaned the throttle body, I'm still getting a fair amount of dark smoke at an idle, my idle is also kind of rough, in the past two nights of running the boat twice when I've turned the key to start the boat the check engine light beeps for a few seconds and than it goes away

20 hours ago, justgary said:

Boat runs 95 Percent better than yesterday now that I cleaned it, she is still smoking at an idle

7 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I’d say you probably still have some cleaning to do in the IAC.

Is that one of the plugs clicked Into the throttle body?

9 minutes ago, Skyski1986 said:

Is that one of the plugs clicked Into the throttle body?

The IAC is the valve inside the throttle body that helps the engine maintain a smooth idle.

A dirty IAC will usually cause the idle to surge (go up and down).

3 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

The IAC is the valve inside the throttle body that helps the engine maintain a smooth idle.

A dirty IAC will usually cause the idle to surge (go up and down).

How do I clean it?

It’s one of the squar-ish holes there in the throttle body. Parts/carb cleaner and a rag. Best bet would be remove the throttle body and everything from the boat and clean it all.