Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Boat // 2021 Axis A22 Special Order

mckaytj

New here!

My wife and I are looking to buy our first boat. We've had a few small bowriders in the family and currently use a Four Wins H180, but looking to make the plunge. My buddy has the t22 and loves it. We are looking at ordering the A22. It would be a 2021 special order.

Any advice on things I must include in this boat? Or things that maybe can be left off?

Was looking a solid Graphite exterior and Sepia Brown interior. I'm slightly concerned on the tan/brown interior being hot? I've done some research and it seems like it's a new vinyl. Any thoughts, recommendations, etc would be very helpful!

Edited by mckaytj

plug n play ballast surf gate and power wedge are a must imo. especially for resale. I am sure more people will chime in but i wouldnt buy one without those options.

23 minutes ago, smuurph84 said:

plug n play ballast surf gate and power wedge are a must imo. especially for resale. I am sure more people will chime in but i wouldnt buy one without those options.

Thanks Smuurph84! 

PNP, Surf Gate & Power Wedge 3 are all on there! We rented one for a weekend last summer with all of those and the power wedge was really nice compared to the manual!

(I wish I could upload an image of the build here)

ahopkins22LSV

Give your wife the computer with the boat builder open and order the colors she wants!

Most people really prefer the soft grip flooring and many add the top deck kit too. I have done both on our last two builds. Do you boat in chillier weather? If so, heater. I won't own another boat without a bimini either. 

I am not sure if it is available on Axis, but the Power Seat is money. My wife will never approve another boat without it. Helps a lot for her driving while surfing. I also always order the trailer steps, makes getting in and our of the boat 100x easier.

For uploading pictures:

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/63314-how-to-post-a-pictureimage/

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Give your wife the computer with the boat builder open and order the colors she wants!

Most people really prefer the soft grip flooring and many add the top deck kit too. I have done both on our last two builds. Do you boat in chillier weather? If so, heater. I won't own another boat without a bimini either. 

I am not sure if it is available on Axis, but the Power Seat is money. My wife will never approve another boat without it. Helps a lot for her driving while surfing. I also always order the trailer steps, makes getting in and our of the boat 100x easier.

For uploading pictures:

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/63314-how-to-post-a-pictureimage/

Excellent, thank you for all the suggestions!

Wife is the one who picked out the color scheme!

I will ask the dealer about the power seat option. We were going with the soft grip floors and deck, as well as a heater.  We are in the mountains of North Carolina, so spring and fall outings will be chilly.  Bimini is a must have as well! I just wish Axis had a larger cover. I know Fluid concepts has a rear add-on bimini but haven't made them to fit the 20's+ yet https://www.fluidconcepts.net/Axis-Bimini-Top-Extension-p/axs-eb-1519.htm Not sure if there is anyone else out there making these?

• Like 1

All the options everyone else listed for sure. I also can't live without a depth finder. Excited for you guys, your'e gonna love it!

33 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

All the options everyone else listed for sure. I also can't live without a depth finder. Excited for you guys, your'e gonna love it!

Thank you Formerathlete!

You betcha, another nice touch (cosmetic more than anything) is the stainless steel cupholders (unless they are now standard). They look so much better than the all black cupholders (and may stay in place better, if rumor has it correct). And if you trailer a lot, the transom steps would be a nice add-on. We didn't get those on our trailer, for access to our garage reasons, and I wish we did. The swim platform is high and it's difficult to climb into the boat when it's on the trailer. 

Edited by formerathlete

We have the sepia brown interior / soft grip and love it. Is not too hot in the sun. I second everything listed above. 

9E4A95C4-6A2E-4009-A552-03BCDD69336A.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AxleGrease99 said:

We have the sepia brown interior / soft grip and love it. Is not too hot in the sun. I second everything listed above. 

9E4A95C4-6A2E-4009-A552-03BCDD69336A.jpeg

Awesome! Thanks for the info and the picture. Beautiful build!!!

On 6/10/2020 at 9:36 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Most people really prefer the soft grip flooring and many add the top deck kit too. I have done both on our last two builds.

You could also consider just ordering the soft grip floor kit for your build and then order the top deck kit through your dealer (who can buy it from Gatorstep at a discount) with the goal of receiving the kit when you take possession so the dealer (or you) can install it. We did that with our boat and I installed the top deck kit myself. It's one way to save money and/or put it towards other options.

Edited by formerathlete
ahopkins22LSV
On 6/11/2020 at 9:59 PM, formerathlete said:

You could also consider just ordering the soft grip floor kit for your build and then order the top deck kit through your dealer (who can buy it from Gatorstep at a discount) with the goal of receiving the kit when you take possession so the dealer (or you) can install it. We did that with our boat and I installed the top deck kit myself. It's one way to save money and/or put it towards other options.

4 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

It’s no longer made my gator step so unless you do black there’s a chance it will be off color 

Also take into account the discount you are getting from the msrp price. Remember you don’t have to install it and you will probably find the price to order it from the factory is quite fair. I know it’s not the hardest install in the world, but it’s one less thing. And, you get the axis logos in it. All of that is why we ordered the floor and top deck from the factory. The only thing we didn’t get is the side panels in the interior. With the white gel choose we didn’t feel it was necessary. 

16 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Also take into account the discount you are getting from the msrp price. Remember you don’t have to install it and you will probably find the price to order it from the factory is quite fair.

We saved about $300 by passing on the factory top deck kit and ordering gatorstep top deck kit (bow, front deck, rear deck) through our dealer. We put that $ towards our depth finder ;). But I did have to install it, so...

Do the available Gatorstep brown colors match the Axis/Malibu factory Sepia Brown? The Gatorstep Sharkfin I ordered is a TINY bit different than the Axis/Malibu factory floor kit gray that was a part of our build in 2019. But they are barely different (IMO) and since the two are not really placed next to each other anywhere in the boat, nobody has ever noticed it. But yes, ordering black would solve that problem for sure (or maybe the browns match).

Edited by formerathlete

If i were to order another Axis, i would probably go with the basic stereo (or maybe even stereo delete).  I HATE the factory radio.  The Wetsound MC1 i installing my T23 is far superior in every way.  It will cost you money to buy the components to DIY, but at least that way you arent paying twice for a sound system.  I didnt use the surf band nor do i care about the audio tone when switching surf gates, so thats not a loss for me.

I have the Fluid Concepts rear bimini.  It was not easy biting off the price initially, but now that season is here and we have used it.....I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE IT!  It adds an incredible amount of shade.  The canvas is actually better than the factory top.  The hardware is factory quality and the tubing feels beefier than the Axis bimini.  Its easy to set up and stow.  It clears surf and wakeboard ropes no problem. 

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, formerathlete said:

We saved about $300 by passing on the factory top deck kit and ordering gatorstep top deck kit (bow, front deck, rear deck) through our dealer. We put that $ towards our depth finder ;). But I did have to install it, so...

Do the available Gatorstep brown colors match the Axis/Malibu factory Sepia Brown? The Gatorstep Sharkfin I ordered is a TINY bit different than the Axis/Malibu factory floor kit gray that was a part of our build in 2019. But they are barely different (IMO) and since the two are not really placed next to each other anywhere in the boat, nobody has ever noticed it. But yes, ordering black would solve that problem for sure (or maybe the browns match).

I’m not sure on the color match. I believe in 2019 they were still out sourcing most of the floor kits. I do know in 2020 100% of the kits are made in-house at the factory. 

I was just pointing out after the percentage off msrp, the flooring kits aren’t that badly priced. Just have to weigh it out. And yes having the logos in ours what part of the decision lol.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Texan32 said:

If i were to order another Axis, i would probably go with the basic stereo (or maybe even stereo delete).  I HATE the factory radio.  The Wetsound MC1 i installing my T23 is far superior in every way.  It will cost you money to buy the components to DIY, but at least that way you arent paying twice for a sound system.  I didnt use the surf band nor do i care about the audio tone when switching surf gates, so thats not a loss for me.

I have the Fluid Concepts rear bimini.  It was not easy biting off the price initially, but now that season is here and we have used it.....I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE IT!  It adds an incredible amount of shade.  The canvas is actually better than the factory top.  The hardware is factory quality and the tubing feels beefier than the Axis bimini.  Its easy to set up and stow.  It clears surf and wakeboard ropes no problem. 

Thanks for the feedback! I have wondered how the factory stereo is. I was looking at just the "Option 2" with either 2 or 4 Icon 8" and a 10" sub, but I'm sure I could build it all out separately and save some money. The dealer told me that the tower is pre-wired, but when I add tower speakers the factory also adds an amp for each set. That doesn't seem to make sense to me...

The Fluid Concepts bimin is on the list for aftermarket adds for sure! They don't have one out yet that fits the 2020+ towers yet.. I was told they are working on it..

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’m not sure on the color match. I believe in 2019 they were still out sourcing most of the floor kits. I do know in 2020 100% of the kits are made in-house at the factory. 

I was just pointing out after the percentage off msrp, the flooring kits aren’t that badly priced. Just have to weigh it out. And yes having the logos in ours what part of the decision lol.

Currently the dealer has the soft grip flooring on this build. It's right at $1300 MSRP.  I just looked and it doesn't look like there is a "Top deck kit" or "deck track" listed on this build. Looks like that adds around $650-700 at msrp. I will look into that more and see what the best options are.

Couple more questions...  (while trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible!)

-I CAN NOT believe that the PTM clamping board racks are about $2800 more for a set of 2 over the standard bungee. I've read some other threads and it seems like I wouldn't know any better if I didn't get them. I would rather use that money elsewhere, or even for new boards..  Should I reconsider?

-Is Zero-Off GPS needed? I boat on a larger lake, I've heard it's good if I was slalom skiing or in a river... Thoughts?

Boat build is Graphite/Sepia Brown int. So far: Power Wedge 3, Surf Pipe, PNP Ballast, Surf Gate, Depth Finder,  2-outlet heater, soft grip flooring, Sound pack 2 w/2-sets 8" speakers, Bimini w/rope & board storage, Bungee racks X2, swivel & slide w/flip up bolster drivers seat, phone holder, tower mounted mirror, ChillAX flip up cockpit seats, dual battery switch, pull up cleats 2/side, Ski pylon, Dock lighting, trailer w/14" alloy & spare tire.                     if there is anything that would make since to cut, please let me know!

underwater lighting? under seat lighting? clamping board racks? zero off gps? deck track? 2 vs. 3 cleats (pr/side)? tower shock package? stainless cupholders vs black? These don't really seem like huge need, with the exception of possibly aftermarket deck tracks....

Thank you all!

Edited by mckaytj
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, mckaytj said:

Couple more questions...  (while trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible!)

-I CAN NOT believe that the PTM clamping board racks are about $2800 more for a set of 2 over the standard bungee. I've read some other threads and it seems like I wouldn't know any better if I didn't get them. I would rather use that money elsewhere, or even for new boards..  Should I reconsider?

-Is Zero-Off GPS needed? I boat on a larger lake, I've heard it's good if I was slalom skiing or in a river... Thoughts?

Boat build is Graphite/Sepia Brown int. So far: Power Wedge 3, Surf Pipe, PNP Ballast, Surf Gate, Depth Finder,  2-outlet heater, soft grip flooring, Sound pack 2 w/2-sets 8" speakers, Bimini w/rope & board storage, Bungee racks X2, swivel & slide w/flip up bolster drivers seat, phone holder, tower mounted mirror, ChillAX flip up cockpit seats, dual battery switch, pull up cleats 2/side, Ski pylon, Dock lighting, trailer w/14" alloy & spare tire.                     if there is anything that would make since to cut, please let me know!

underwater lighting? under seat lighting? clamping board racks? zero off gps? deck track? 2 vs. 3 cleats (pr/side)? tower shock package? stainless cupholders vs black? These don't really seem like huge need, with the exception of possibly aftermarket deck tracks....

Thank you all!

Actually zero off is better for everything but in a river. I’d get it for sure. 

I personally choose to have the factory add the underwater lights because I like them and again it goes to the conversation about the deck kit. Factory in the msrp cost, minus discount, and that you don’t have to install. Again it’s not a crazy bad install but I personally like taking delivery of my boat and going straight to the lake. I love boat projects but at the same time I have to factor in my time and that’s when some options make sense to me. You have a very solid build going. From what you have selected already, I wouldn’t cut anything out. If you are at your budget, everything you mention can be added later. Although I’d still definitely add the ZO. And I’d consider the underwater lights and deck kit if you think you definitely want those with the factors I’ve mentioned above. 

Last thing. I don’t feel three sets of cleats is needed because you can just use the bow eye for the tie off point up front. But I always debate it too. One time I might order the third set. 

7 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Last thing. I don’t feel three sets of cleats is needed because you can just use the bow eye for the tie off point up front. But I always debate it too. One time I might order the third set. 

I actually added the bow tie points at the beginning of season.  For the docks i pull up to, it was a big help/improvement.  If you dont want to pay for them now, they arent too expensive or hard to add.  Just a little nerve racking drilling big holes in your perfectly good hull to install them.  

I use my under seat lights more than my interior lights at night.  Unfortunately, it looks like the fiberglass on your boat differs from how my T23 is.  So, the way mine look at night are different that how yours will look.  Based on what i can see, your under seat lighting on your boat will be (literally) only for lighting up the under seat area when you remove a cushion.  Mine actually bleeds light into the cabin area from the "Axis" metal plate below y seat cushions.  2018-axis-t23-9.jpg.1e2c9a2d460760bc8a01a54efe5c013e.jpg

Underwater lights are fun.  BUT....i would prefer a light that was RBG so i could change the colors to suite my taste.  I dont know how much the factory add on is for that, but i know adding them after could cost north of $600.  And like i said about the stereo, i dont like paying for things twice. 

Deff add the GPS.  I just ordered an antenna from ZO to add on myself.  Saves time/effort to get it from the factory.  As VTX stated, the GPS is better for lakes.  On rivers, its better to use the paddle wheel because GPS doesnt have a correction factor for the water current you are going with/against.  The GPS also feeds time and compass direction to the center screen.

Clamping racks...this may just be my ignorance talking.  But, i have had no problems with my bungee racks.  I know the clamping racks are "better" since they secure your boards more, but i have yet to identify a situation where i said to myself "MAN i wish i had clamping racks!"  I also dont have $1000+ boards.  So letting my gear ride a little loose doesnt bother me. 

Tower shock package?  Im guessing its a gas assist strut for raising and lowering the tower?  If so, how often do you think you will need to mess with the tower?  I can tell you that our tower with 4 icon 8's mounted is NOT light.  If you think you will be raising/lowering your tower often....i would do it.  Otherwise..........

Stainless cup holders are pretty.  Thats about it.  Mine had black plastic.  I replaced them (well, the larger ones for the moment) with SS and i really dig the look.  It adds a little color separation.  Not "necessary" but would want them on my next boat.

I agree with @Texan32 on the clamping racks. The benefit doesn't even come close to outweighing the cost, IMHO. We have the bungee racks and they are fine. I think they look better than clamping racks, too.

If I had the opportunity to do our build over again, I would take the advice of @agarabaghi and strongly consider hydraulic steering. He had a '19 A22 without it and has a '20 A22 with it and says he'd never have another boat without it. I have seen some posts saying it might not be worth it, so it might be worth a conversation with your dealer or see if you can get a demo in a boat with hydraulic steering to see what you think. It was something like $1200 to add that when we did our build and I probably should have done it. I'd imagine it's possible to add later but can't imagine it being only $1200.

I would also do the tower shock package. The tower is somewhat heavy even with just 2 icon 8's, and we have to put tower up/down every trip, so any kind of assist option would be great, unless you don't have to lower tower often.

And lastly, if you have any money left, I think the stainless cupholders and underseat lights are worth the price to upgrade the quality of the interior look. It makes a big difference, IMO. We have the blue underseat lights and it looks so cool at night (total splurge purchase and unnecessary though).

But I think I'd sacrifice all I listed in this post (cupholders, underseat lights, tower shock package) to have hydraulic steering, if I had to choose. From what I've read, it sounds worth it.

Edited by formerathlete
On 6/13/2020 at 5:33 PM, Texan32 said:

Do you have any photos to post ( does it effect spinning your racks in at all?

37 minutes ago, smuurph84 said:

Do you have any photos to post ( does it effect spinning your racks in at all?

i dont have any at the moment but can follow up next time i take the boat out. 

I have factory lower swivel racks.  When stowing or extending the top, the racks have to be in the out position.  Once the top is setup, the lower racks 100% clear and do not interfere with the top.  By the looks from Fluid's website, i feel that if the top is extended, an upper position swivel rack would have to stay in the out position.  Additionally, i feel that if the top is stowed, an upper swivel rack would only be able to swivel to the rear facing position.  I do not believe an upper rack would be able to swivel all the way in.  BUT, that is only speculation at the moment.  Once i can get out to my boat, i can take a better look and make a better call on that. 

Fluid has "provisions" for upper racks when you order it.  When i ordered mine, i called and talked to a rep there.  He indicated that the "provision" for the upper racks is just longer bracket bolts.  There are no additional design changes to accommodate for upper racks specifically.  Their mounting bracket uses the same holes as the upper rack mounting holes.  So, he supplies you with the correct length bolts for everything to mount up together. 

The site does say that they are out of stock for both '15-'19 and 2020 models.  IIRC, when i called, he indicated that he makes these in "runs".  It took a couple weeks to get my top, but the end result was well worth it.  It is pretty simple design, but really is well put together extension.  BEEFY mounting bracket that flawlessly matches the tower (you would thingk Axis made it).  It clears lower swivels.  It clears ropes.  There is plenty of room to easily feed ropes up to the tower pylon.  It clears tower speaker stowed and extended.

Edited by Texan32

Re: heaters - if there is the option between the 2-outlet and 3-outlet, I'm assuming the 3-outlet has the third opening by the driver's feet.  If so, get the 3-outlet...that driver's feet heater is amazing on chilly mornings.  I tried doing a quick look on the Axis site to see if there are 2 heater options and couldn't find anything, so if 2-outlet is the only option disregard.

• Like 1