Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sunsetter VLX Questions

JustFine

Just want to know if there are any known problems with this boat and if it’s hard to get parts for it. Boat in question has a new Indmar 350 (Vortec?) motor with 40 hours, owner asking $18,000. Boat is extremely clean. Also, can you tell me whether this is a diamond or a wake hull? I will mainly be wakeboarding with it. Thanks! 

Sunsetters were Diamond Hulls (I was wrong; read below).  You'll love it.  I had the '01 and it was a dream for 16 years.  Great boat for wakeboarding and surfing (with enough weight and a suck gate).

Edited by Slurpee

Does anyone know about an Indmar 350 Vortec? He said original 325 motor was ran out of oil so the block was replaced and upgraded to an Indmar 350 Vortec ??

Ran out of oil? How does that even happen? Not saying it’s not true, I just have a hard time understanding. Either way... a new motor is good as long as it was done right. How many hours on the previous motor? Wonder why he wants to sell it only after 40 hours. It’s a cheap price is why my speculation. Should/ could be in the low to mid $20k range for a clean boat.

He said the boat itself only has 420 some odd hours on it right now. Last motor had a “small oil leak” and his sons ran it anyways. He said this new block was an upgrade from the previous 325. I’m just confused, because I thought the 325 was a 350 Vortec. He said block was replaced in 2016, he’s selling because his sons don’t use it anymore. 

Edited by JustFine
3 hours ago, JustFine said:

Does anyone know about an Indmar 350 Vortec? He said original 325 motor was ran out of oil so the block was replaced and upgraded to an Indmar 350 Vortec ??

3 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

The 2000 Indmar 325 is a GM 350 (5.7) Vortec engine.

This is probably an effort to say the HorsePower is different, where the 2000 would have been rated for approximately 320 or 325 with the Vortec intake vs the 350 with a 350 rated Monsoon Intake (the longer charger plenum). Note that Indmar has walked back that these resemble actual HP.

Ask for a photo of the engine and post it here if you can.  Most engine replacements are what are called long-block replacements.  The manifolds, electronics, and other bits are usually donated from the wrecked engine.  One does not typically get any change in horsepower by doing a long block replacement unless you bolt your 350 donor bits up to a 383 block.

16 hours ago, smileysteve said:

This is probably an effort to say the HorsePower is different, where the 2000 would have been rated for approximately 320 or 325 with the Vortec intake vs the 350 with a 350 rated Monsoon Intake (the longer charger plenum). Note that Indmar has walked back that these resemble actual HP.

Usually they replace with a short block and use the original intake, etc for cost reasons.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Usually they replace with a short block and use the original intake, etc for cost reasons.

A short block wouldn't include new heads. If it were run without oil, the heads should have been replaced too, so a long block should have been installed. Original intake and exhaust manifolds still used with a new long block.

Could also be a case of the owner confusing the horsepower rating of the old engine with the displacement of the replacement (same for them both)(aka, don't think you're getting something special work a 350)