Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5 Impeller

Has anyone changed their M5 or M6 impeller?.  It's easy to get to the housing but clearance to remove the impeller is limited.   Looks like removing the plastic intake will give plenty of clearance._7O_vKKZ5nCTaL9VEvyn9rvvTM9rckp8BU2pmPDbCpsWwZnFKRvUCo2s-1WIzPvdS3Sc7m3kWf_XPYIe

Edited by 1107
correction to procedure

You can do it with the intake on.

Put a rag down in the valley behind the pump (to catch any dropped screws).

1/4 drive ratchet to remove the cover fasteners.

90 degree needle nose pliers. Grab the impeller at the bottom of one of the fins really close to the center and work it until it comes out.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Did you do this?  90° pliers could work.  And getting it back in will be tight.   The gap between the intake and the pump is slightly wider the the impeller.

This is the original with 100 hrs.  Looks pretty good compared to other pictures I've seen.    

PRdYKy1j1LOc1notRMSv8H6EeIOT14t-p0q-J0yl 

45 minutes ago, 1107 said:

Did you do this?  90° pliers could work.  And getting it back in will be tight.   The gap between the intake and the pump is slightly wider the the impeller.

This is the original with 100 hrs.  Looks pretty good compared to other pictures I've seen.    

PRdYKy1j1LOc1notRMSv8H6EeIOT14t-p0q-J0yl 

Yes. Is the center of the impeller silver?

If so need to get the updated one in there. It has a brass center.

yes it is.  And I have the new brass impeller.  It's in there pretty tight.  I can use some lubrication and bump the starter to spread it around.  Then use the pliers you suggested.  And you were able to install the new impeller with removing anything?

6 minutes ago, 1107 said:

yes it is.  And I have the new brass impeller.  It's in there pretty tight.  I can use some lubrication and bump the starter to spread it around.  Then use the pliers you suggested.  And you were able to install the new impeller with removing anything?

Yes. It's tight, but dooable.