Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New source unit + transom remote suggestions

Nitrousbird

I put my setup together in 2011/2012.  I went all in on Alpine for the source unit, as they were starting to get out of the marine audio business at that time.  This was also back when they did a separate unit for everything.  So I have the iDA-X100M head unit, Imprint Box, two transom remotes (one in the transom, one in the port side pocket), floating remote, Sirius tuner and even tried their Bluetooth (long story, could never get one to function, so I went with a JL adapter instead).

Well, things are starting to die.  If I use the transom remote (either one now, only used to be one that caused the issue) too much, it kills the system and has to be power cycled.  Can't change tracks remotely as I am using a bluetooth adapter - I went with a Scosche floating Bluetooth remote (and added two magnetic mounts) but it was lost last time out and now can't be acquired.  Simply put, I'm over this setup and just want something that functions the way I want it to.

Requirements:
- Has to have a transom remote ability.  This kills all EQ only setups.  This is non-negotiable
- Single DIN allows me to use my current under-dash mount, but could switch mounts if needed
- Zone control would be nice, but easy access to subwoofer level and fader will suffice
- Sirius capable.  Not that I ever use it as I just use my Sirius App if needed, but I already have it setup so I might as well keep the ability

Any suggestions?  I haven't shopped for source units in a while.  The Fusion lineup looks interesting with a lot of options.  I'm trying to stay under $800 all in, which is reasonable given what I am seeing out there.

I have a 97 Sunsetter LX and think I will need to replace my Sony single DIN in the near future so tracking this thread for ideas (just purchased JL Audio 6.5s to replace the stock rears and the Planet Audio drivers I upgraded years go (probably have to pull the windshield for the fronts ... sigh).

I was entertaining the idea of just having an AM/FM/BT capable head unit and giving up on the remote function (sure is nice to be able to mute without moving my hand from the throttle how I have it setup currently).  Did you cut holes in the transom and thus need to put a control there?

6 hours ago, OHRiverRat said:

I have a 97 Sunsetter LX and think I will need to replace my Sony single DIN in the near future so tracking this thread for ideas (just purchased JL Audio 6.5s to replace the stock rears and the Planet Audio drivers I upgraded years go (probably have to pull the windshield for the fronts ... sigh).

I was entertaining the idea of just having an AM/FM/BT capable head unit and giving up on the remote function (sure is nice to be able to mute without moving my hand from the throttle how I have it setup currently).  Did you cut holes in the transom and thus need to put a control there?

Yes, I have a 2" transom hole.  We also use the transom remote often and isn't something I am willing to give up.  If it wasn't for that, I would be running a straight Bluetooth EQ-only setup instead.

So far, the Fusion MS-RA210 is winning in my research.  The JL and Rockford stuff, though nice looking, is pretty old designs and get a lot of questionable reviews.  Still working through my final decision on the Clarion, Kicker, and a couple other brands.  

• 2 weeks later...

Nitrousbird, I had the same head unit/ remotes that you had. I recently swapped over to WS MC-1 and can't believe the difference, it's like a whole new system between the sound clarity and quality. I was wondering if you had the same results or if my Alpine had issues?

5 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Nitrousbird, I had the same head unit/ remotes that you had. I recently swapped over to WS MC-1 and can't believe the difference, it's like a whole new system between the sound clarity and quality. I was wondering if you had the same results or if my Alpine had issues?

Can't tell yet but I'm not done retuning my system either (and waiting for my NEMA 2000 power adapter to show up to power the transom remote and button everything up).  That said, sound quality was never an issue with my Alpine, but I also ran the Imprint box with mine, which did make a difference.  Even just working on it in the garage, I am preferring the zone control setup and integrated Bluetooth better than the Alpine setup.

Install is done; all re-tuned for the new source unit.  Love the zone control.  The DSP settings are a total, pointless joke.  Unhappy you have no bass control from the transom remote (but have zone control, go figure).  Sound quality seems as good as my Alpine was, which was never an issue.  Having bluetooth control from the unit is nice, especially from the transom.  The Fusion Link app isn't all that great either.  I've only tested it in the garage, but hoping tomorrow's weather holds up so I can get a nice, on the lake trial run with it.  

20200627-102228.jpg

20200627-102034-HDR.jpg

@Nitrousbird, I love the install.  I've been pretty happy with my Fusion HU.  I installed the RA770 and the same transom remote as you.  I did upgrade the transom remote firmware a couple times and got some more control than I had before (e.g. it now controls the sound when using the Airplay input when it didn't before).  I don't recall if sub was in there though since I'm not using that.  I just run a single clean signal to my DSPs and let them do all the tone and zone control.  But Go give that a try.  You'll have to monkey with the app a fair bit though.  Mine was flawless all last year.  When I installed the RA770 in the new '19 25LSV this year I haven't gotten the app to find the HU at all.  But Airplay still works so I don't care for the moment.

12 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

When I looked into these, there was a TONE control for ZONES.  Manual says that is accessible from the remote.

There aren't a ton of menu items, and I found no tone controls on the HU or remote, only in the app.  But there are tone controls per zone in the app (think 3-band EQ).

11 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

@Nitrousbird, I love the install.  I've been pretty happy with my Fusion HU.  I installed the RA770 and the same transom remote as you.  I did upgrade the transom remote firmware a couple times and got some more control than I had before (e.g. it now controls the sound when using the Airplay input when it didn't before).  I don't recall if sub was in there though since I'm not using that.  I just run a single clean signal to my DSPs and let them do all the tone and zone control.  But Go give that a try.  You'll have to monkey with the app a fair bit though.  Mine was flawless all last year.  When I installed the RA770 in the new '19 25LSV this year I haven't gotten the app to find the HU at all.  But Airplay still works so I don't care for the moment.

I did the transom firmware.  No firmware update available for the HU yet.  The DSP firmware keeps saying it downloaded but I can't tell whether it updated or not.  Unlike your HU, mine doesn't power the NEMA network (something not spelled out well in the documentation), so I had to add an external NEMA power source so the remote could work.  I read about that Airplay issue with the remote; good to hear that is resolved though not a feature on mine.  

36 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

There aren't a ton of menu items, and I found no tone controls on the HU or remote, only in the app.  But there are tone controls per zone in the app (think 3-band EQ).

Try:

Adjusting the Tones 1 Select > SETTINGS > ZONE. 2 Select a zone. 3 Select TONE. 4 Turn the dial to adjust the level. 5 Press the dial to switch to a different tone.

ALL the models above and below the one you have allow bass/treble and some have MID as well.  heck my $12 BT stereo has all those controls plus an equalizer. That manual is pretty sparse.