Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX - Steering Cable Replacement

Good afternoon everyone,

”Looking for feedback as to how to access & undo the existing large nut on the cable”

So I’m close to being able to remove the existing cable. The current challenge is accessing the large nut on the current cable. The one that secures the cable. It’s directly under the motor. Any ideas how to access so I can loosen and pull the cable through? Do I have to remove any panels, flooring, seats etc? Or is there an angle I can reach down there to access?

Ive tried to read all the feedback on here but having trouble finding anything for this specific topic.

Thank You guys!

Edited by DGAZ
51 minutes ago, DGAZ said:

Good afternoon everyone,

”Looking for feedback as to how to access & undo the existing large nut on the cable”

So I’m close to being able to remove the existing cable. The current challenge is accessing the large nut on the current cable. The one that secures the cable. It’s directly under the motor. Any ideas how to access so I can loosen and pull the cable through? Do I have to remove any panels, flooring, seats etc? Or is there an angle I can reach down there to access?

Ive tried to read all the feedback on here but having trouble finding anything for this specific topic.

Thank You guys!

The joys of boat ownership.  You get to buy specialty tools and learn how to contort your limbs into interesting shapes.  A box wrench and some patience might get the job done.  Might only be able to move the nut a few degrees at a time until it's loose enough to remove by hand.  There's a good chance that's the original nut so some PB blaster might not be a bad starting point.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

The joys of boat ownership.  You get to buy specialty tools and learn how to contort your limbs into interesting shapes.  A box wrench and some patience might get the job done.  Might only be able to move the nut a few degrees at a time until it's loose enough to remove by hand.  There's a good chance that's the original nut so some PB blaster might not be a bad starting point.

Thanks man! I’m glad you made it very clear that it could be a pain in the rear. Setting the right expectations right up front helps the brain get right. I’ve ready a lot of things that say it’s an hour and half job. For the first go, it’s def taking me longer than that. Once I do it here this first time I’ll have the tools and technique down. Just gotta plow through it 🤷🏻‍♂️ Do you think I should have to remove any flooring? The screws to remove flooring and panels are or just get in there and get dirty

10 minutes ago, DGAZ said:

Thanks man! I’m glad you made it very clear that it could be a pain in the rear. Setting the right expectations right up front helps the brain get right. I’ve ready a lot of things that say it’s an hour and half job. For the first go, it’s def taking me longer than that. Once I do it here this first time I’ll have the tools and technique down. Just gotta plow through it 🤷🏻‍♂️ Do you think I should have to remove any flooring? The screws to remove flooring and panels are or just get in there and get dirty

Have you already removed the black plastic divider walls on either side of the engine?  If you've done that, you can crawl down into the hatch and get access that way, probably.  I've been down in there to do things like changing impellers and removing oil filters but I've never tried working directly beneath the engine on the steering cable.  Imagine it's a chore.

• Like 2

I haven’t done that yet thanks. Great idea

Are those plastic dividers pretty easy to remove? I’m having trouble removing anything cause the fabric has worn over all the screw holes so they’re tough to find. When I do they’re usually stripped so I have to use my dremmal to cut in notches for a Phillips 
Thanks

26 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Have you already removed the black plastic divider walls on either side of the engine?  If you've done that, you can crawl down into the hatch and get access that way, probably.  I've been down in there to do things like changing impellers and removing oil filters but I've never tried working directly beneath the engine on the steering cable.  Imagine it's a chore.

Man you’re a lifesaver for now ha ha

Not sure why I didn’t inspect those plastic dividers earlier. They’re just held in by a few bolts. From what I can see, I should be able to access that nut easy once removed. I’ll keep you updated.

👊🏻

1 minute ago, DGAZ said:

Man you’re a lifesaver for now ha ha

Not sure why I didn’t inspect those plastic dividers earlier. They’re just held in by a few bolts. From what I can see, I should be able to access that nut easy once removed. I’ll keep you updated.

👊🏻

Yep, should be held in place by a couple thumb screws on the top and a black "channel" screwed to the floor on bottom.

Your idea was so $$

Worked flawlessly, although this is one downfall of being 6’4” 😅

Man I wish I would have recognized this sooner. Would have been so much easier to take the rudder bolt off. Lesson learned & honestly, all this is just helping me get to know her better. Looks like I’ll hopefully have her on the water Wed after all. Let’s just hope I can feed the new one through with few hiccups. If it’s zip tied down underneath the flooring I might have issues. These floors are a big issue getting em up.

I’ll be in touch

• Like 2

New steering cable in

Man.... why do we make things harder than they are. I was gonn rip out all the flooring to locate the large nut that was under the motor 🤦🏻 Thanks to a new Malibu buddy on here, I was able to simply remove the plastic side panel next to the motor & the end was near. Had my 10 year old son feed everything through for me & she moved through the boat like a Malibu on the water 🚣‍♀️ 

Really appreciate everyone’s help

She turns on a dime now 🙌🏻🙌🏻

• Like 3