Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1989 Malibu Skier Troubleshooting

Memorial Day weekend i took my boat out ran it for 7 hours ,shut it off multiple times and at the end of the day the boat was dead in the water. 11 volts on the dash. Got towed in took it home changed the starter out, got 2 brand new deep cycle marine batteries ran the dry lake started right away.

Took the boat out today started first turn, a little higher than 12 volts on the dash, went about a hour. Shut the boat off , turn the key ,cranks like it wants to start and just started clicking dash was reading 11 volts . let it sit tried to start it about a hour later no crank just clicks really fast sounding. I've had the boat out 4 times since I bought it , 10 hours first time no issue, 5 the second no issue. last two times its left me the lady and the kids dead in the water. The boat runs great when it does run, runs pretty cool, 

4 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Or the battery has a dead short.  How old is the battery?

I just bought 2 a few weeks ago.

37 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

Your alternator is not charging.
When boat is running it should be around 14.2 volts.

Ill order one tonight thank you.

Just now, StevenJ said:

I just bought 2 a few weeks ago.

Well that likely not it then!  I'd remove the alternator and bench test it at Autozone or your local auto store.

1 minute ago, StevenJ said:

Ill order one tonight thank you.

I would bench test the current one first.  You have to remove it to replace it anyway, so might as well test it while you have it off.  If time/location is a challenge, then yeah I'd order a new one.  Make sure it's marine grade for spark protection, it's a thing.

1 minute ago, Michigan boarder said:

I would bench test the current one first.  You have to remove it to replace it anyway, so might as well test it while you have it off.  If time/location is a challenge, then yeah I'd order a new one.  Make sure it's marine grade for spark protection, it's a thing.

Is Db electrical legit for a Marine alternator. ?

Just now, StevenJ said:

Is Db electrical legit for a Marine alternator. ?

Sorry, no idea, I've never replaced mine.  The furthest I went with electrical was having my starter rebuilt by a local shop, I'm still on the original alternator.