Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alarms

I have a 2000 sunsetter LXI. I have an alarm going off but all gauges are good   Water temp is good oil pressure fine and I disconnected the depth finder but alarm still going off.  Not sure what to check next

formulaben

We need some more info here.  When does the alarm go off?  Does the alarm start immediately on key up and never stop?  Or does it start later after the engine starts?  There are separate sensors for the oil pressure sender (to dash) and for the switch (greater than 6psi) to the ECM, that's the one that beeps on key up until it sees oil pressure.

BEEP CODES — the 4 maintenance items that can trigger the beeper are:

•  High engine water temperature (>203*)
  •  Low oil pressure (<6 PSI)
  •  High transmission temperature (>140?*)
  •  A diagnostics trouble code
On 6/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, Scottbaba99 said:

I have a 2000 sunsetter LXI. I have an alarm going off but all gauges are good   Water temp is good oil pressure fine and I disconnected the depth finder but alarm still going off.  Not sure what to check next

Help ! Me Too !!  Exact same issue. I did replace knock sensor also. Fuel pressure good. Battery voltage 14.4.

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.
added info

Alarm was going off as soon as I turned the key.  I removed the oil pressure switch, the bell looking one and put a mechanical gauge on.  I also checked voltage on the oil switch and it read a constant 249 olms. Put the boat in the water just at the dock for a few minutes the other night.  Pressure read constant 60psi at idle and got as high as 70 at 2k rpm.  Which I felt was pretty high.  But I had no alarm.  Could only run for 5 minutes or so.  It was really late and I couldn’t be at the dock any later.   
hopefully getting it out today for a longer run to get oil hotter. And see what the pressure does.  
I don’t know where the knock sensor is located to ck that. 

4 hours ago, Scottbaba99 said:

Alarm was going off as soon as I turned the key.

This is normal.  Should go off when engine oil pressure switch senses oil pressure (immediately after start.)

I removed the oil pressure switch, the bell looking one and put a mechanical gauge on.

The oil pressure sending unit (on the left) give you the pressure at the dash, but has nothing to do with any beeping.  The oil pressure switch (on the right) will trigger a beep code with ignition on and no oil pressure.  Please confirm what you did to each of these pictured below.

2r289lk.jpg

• Like 1

My issue seems identical. Replaced oil switch to ecm. Replaced knock sensor. Does it from key up, thru getting to 160 degree's.  All seem's fine. I've tried removing each of those "critical" connectors one at a time while running to see if any would stop the alarm. Nothing seems to make a difference.  Again to all that help here, thank you very much,

Steve B.

quick edit: For the knock sensor and oil pressure switch I think I just guessed at autozone with like a chevy suburban replacement parts.

Edited by Steve B.
added thought
32 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Does it from key up, thru getting to 160 degree's.

Just to clarify, you get the beeping at key up, and it stays on continuously until the engine gets to 160 degrees?

Yes, for me. Key up with alarm, start engine and run fine (seemingly ha) with alarm, and alarm stays on. Gauges show perfect amounts. And to double check oil pressure, I bought a mechanical gauge to hook up at the "T" and it read exactly what the dash gauge says. Oil pressure never really goes below 40 psi. I thought it may be the depth gauge because it acts weird on the trailer, but I can turn that off, but only for  few seconds for some reason. Again, I sure appreciate your help, it might help a number of us.

Steve B.

I disconnected both oil pressure switch and sensor.  Put a mechanical pressure gauge on.  Pressure was fine. Maybe a hair high til it got warmed up but I had no alarm for about 15 min   Then it can on again.  Disconnected knock sensor but alarm did not stop.  I’m guessing at this point I’ve got to get it checked out with a computer to get the error code.  By the way.  It’s the lower alarm that is going off.  Not the one by the depth finder or directly below dash by the MDC.  It’s the one by all the wires headed up from under drivers feet to the dash.  

Also my front running lights bulge pump and horn are not working. Seems like it might be a bad ground wire but I’m just at a loss right now. 

...but I had no alarm for about 15 min   Then it can on again.

So to clarify, no alarm until later, and it came on after 15 minutes?  Were you running the engine hard during the 15 minutes?

6 hours ago, Scottbaba99 said:

I disconnected both oil pressure switch and sensor.  Put a mechanical pressure gauge on.  Pressure was fine. Maybe a hair high til it got warmed up but I had no alarm for about 15 min   Then it can on again.  Disconnected knock sensor but alarm did not stop.  I’m guessing at this point I’ve got to get it checked out with a computer to get the error code.  By the way.  It’s the lower alarm that is going off.  Not the one by the depth finder or directly below dash by the MDC.  It’s the one by all the wires headed up from under drivers feet to the dash.  

I'm not familiar with this alarm.  There are three things on my boat that beep (four if you count the horn).  1: MDC.  2: Depth Alarm.  3: PerfectPass.

Also my front running lights bulge pump and horn are not working. Seems like it might be a bad ground wire but I’m just at a loss right now. 

1 hour ago, Scottbaba99 said:

Probably right.  Not sure about your model, but for me and a lot of other models the negative bus bar is under the helm tucked up into the starboard gunnel.  Tighten them up really good.

• 3 weeks later...

So boat read no errors.  So precess of elimination. Changed water temp switch. Still had alarm. Changed oil pressure switch. Ding ding ding.  No more alarm and summer fun officially begins.  Thx for all the responses on here.   I really appreciate it. 

• Like 2