Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skeebum

Hi everyone.  I have a 2005 Malibu Monsoon 340 LSI.  I keep blowing a 20amp fuse and this shuts the fuel pump off. The pump is external. Where is the fuel filter located ? I cannot find it.  Is it in the tank?  Thanks for your help

Have you taken the trunk liner out? My Response has a spin on fuel filter mounted on the transom behind the stern trunk wall. Believe they switched to an inline or in-tank setup at some point but can't remember when. Was the boat running OK before this started though? I'd assume the boat ran like crap for a while if the filter was plugged enough to blow pump fuses. Have you checked and cleaned all wiring? Pull and clean fuel pump relay connections?

I cleaned up the boat, oil, filter, tune-up etc. late last season. When I hooked up the water to it it ran like I stated. thirty secs and then it died.  Did a ton of research trying to figure it out. Replaced the relays, checked full pump and it did work.  Found the connector with 3 20 amp fuses with one blown. replaced the fuse and it started. I shut it down and drained to whole system, disconnected hoses etc.  This year a couple of weeks ok hooked up the water and again it ran 30 sec.  Fuse blown again.  I have looked for a in-line filter and did not find one. I put a gas water separator in years ago and I changed the filter last year. Trunk liner is out. Still do not see a filter.  I do not even see a in-line anywhere. The pump connections look nasty. I will clean them.  Appreciate the help.

26 minutes ago, Skeebum said:

I cleaned up the boat, oil, filter, tune-up etc. late last season. When I hooked up the water to it it ran like I stated. thirty secs and then it died.  Did a ton of research trying to figure it out. Replaced the relays, checked full pump and it did work.  Found the connector with 3 20 amp fuses with one blown. replaced the fuse and it started. I shut it down and drained to whole system, disconnected hoses etc.  This year a couple of weeks ok hooked up the water and again it ran 30 sec.  Fuse blown again.  I have looked for a in-line filter and did not find one. I put a gas water separator in years ago and I changed the filter last year. Trunk liner is out. Still do not see a filter.  I do not even see a in-line anywhere. The pump connections look nasty. I will clean them.  Appreciate the help.

There's an inlet screen on the bottom of the pump where the fuel line comes in which can become super gunked up.  On some pumps, they're removeable, but mine wasn't.  Had to look up into it with a mirror when I cleaned it out last year.  Mine was fairly clean.  You can blast some carb and choke cleaner up into that whether you can see up there or not.  I've heard of folks getting a bunch of goo out of that thing.

Still though, if you're blowing fuses, I wouldn't think a bad filter would be enough to do that.  I tried running my boat last year with the fuel shut off and was basically collapsing the fuel lines the pump was pulling so hard on it and I didn't have any fuse issues.  I'd look to wiring, and if that all looks good, maybe think about replacing the pump if it's original.  They do go bad on occasion.

Thank you guys for your time, consideration and insight  I will look behind the mufflers for the filter.  I will cleanup the fuel pump connections.  Not convinced that is the issue.  I am leaning towards the fuel pump.  It is 15 yrs old.  Thanks again

Thank you for the advice.  Fuel pump connector had some corrosion on it and the connections on the pump were also pretty bad looking. I cleaned everything up.  Will hook up the water and see what happens.  The pump is 15 yrs old.  If the fuse blows again I will invest in a pump.  Thanks again

• Like 1

I did more checks.  cleaned up fuel pump connector and the nasty pump connections.  Boat ran for a couple of minutes this time and then  started to stubble, picked upped and then died.  Fuse blew again.  I checked the pump and it was hot.  I also feel the pump might be bad.  I checked again for a fuel filter.  There is nothing from the pump to the tank.  I feel there must be a sock on the sending unit?. Anyway, where can I get a fuel pump replacement and not pay $300-$400. for?  I think that's a lot.  There has to be some sort of replacement with 45psi for a lot less.  Or am I wrong ?  Thanks again  for your input.  

12 hours ago, Skeebum said:

I did more checks.  cleaned up fuel pump connector and the nasty pump connections.  Boat ran for a couple of minutes this time and then  started to stubble, picked upped and then died.  Fuse blew again.  I checked the pump and it was hot.  I also feel the pump might be bad.  I checked again for a fuel filter.  There is nothing from the pump to the tank.  I feel there must be a sock on the sending unit?. Anyway, where can I get a fuel pump replacement and not pay $300-$400. for?  I think that's a lot.  There has to be some sort of replacement with 45psi for a lot less.  Or am I wrong ?  Thanks again  for your input.  

Fuel pumps are expensive, I haven't read of anyone coming up with an inexpensive solution.

3 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Fuel pumps are expensive, I haven't read of anyone coming up with an inexpensive solution.

Any marine fuel pump (Carter, Perburg) will be OK to use and cheaper than the Indmar kit.  IIRC, there are some posts n this forum about how to cobble one together.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Any marine fuel pump (Carter, Perburg) will be OK to use and cheaper than the Indmar kit.  IIRC, there are some posts n this forum about how to cobble one together.

Yes, but they are still expensive

4 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Yes, but they are still expensive

Like Dad used to say, "You got to pay to play".  I replaced the fuel pump in my 1999 RLX - ONCE - and while a ripoff is OK given the longevity.

I understand that.  Getting ripped off is different.  I have read articles where a "marine" pump is not necessary.  The minute you take "Marine" out of the equation, its a whole different ball game. If its a external sealed unit pump ,what makes  "Marine" fuel pump so special ?  just asking.  Thank you for your input.  Stay healthy.

IDK what makes them special other than price, but being reluctant to skrimp on something that pumps gasoline in a hot enclosed environment, I just buy the pumps (3 in ten years, 2 burnt, 1 spare) and save money elsewhere. 

Edited by Bozboat
formulaben
On 5/30/2020 at 12:20 PM, Skeebum said:

I put a gas water separator in years ago and I changed the filter last year.

Wait, you say there is no fuel filter, but you do have a water separator?  This may be important because depending on the type, some separators have a filter that SWELLS when it gets water in it, preventing water from getting into the engine but thereby choking it of fuel...that would explain your engine dying once it can't suck fuel anymore.  May not explain the hot fuel pump and blown relay, but just to be safe I'd make sure first before investing in a fuel pump.

Not sure what type of fuel pump you have, but if it is like my 2002 era then here is a thread where they have successfully replaced the old out of production pump with a Carter P61171. 

thank you for the advice. There is a new filter in the  fuel water separator.  I found a replacement pump  for $232.00.  A far cry from $278- $340.  

4 hours ago, Skeebum said:

thank you for the advice. There is a new filter in the  fuel water separator.  I found a replacement pump  for $232.00.  A far cry from $278- $340.  

That’s awesome 

can you share where you found it?