Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI - Indmar Strainer Pro Installation

sambo0012

I thought I would share a quick update on a successful project to install the Indmar Strainer Pro on a Response LXI. Indmar makes two versions of this strainer. One has a 90degree inlet, the other has a straight inlet. A link on where I purchased is below. I found it best on the LXI to use the straight inlet. 

First I removed the old hose. Upon removal I decided that the hose needed replacing as the interior wall of the hose was degrading. A short 4.5" length of hose was cut to attach the strainer to the raw water inlet. Another section of hose was cut to go between the strainer and the raw water pump. So far I am really happy how this turned out. The strainer is suspended in the air and not laying on the hull. The garden hose attachment point is easily accessible. 

https://inboardonline.com/search.php?search_query=strainer

(Always like ordering from Bakes, but they were out of stock on this product when I purchased)

IMG-0363.jpg
IMG-0366.jpg
IMG-0365.jpg
IMG-0364.jpg

Edited by sambo0012
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Very nice. I always intended to add one of those on our response but never got around to it. I’ve gotten the strainer on our two VTX’s but do with I didn’t have to use a fake lake. I’ve never liked the look of the hose hook up on the transom. 

12 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Very nice. I always intended to add one of those on our response but never got around to it. I’ve gotten the strainer on our two VTX’s but do with I didn’t have to use a fake lake. I’ve never liked the look of the hose hook up on the transom. 

I really like the marpac stainless transom fitting I added.  It is simple to flush the engine, and no gritty hose goes over the gunwhale to scratch it up.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, sambo0012 said:

I thought I would share a quick update on a successful project to install the Indmar Strainer Pro on a Response LXI. Indmar makes two versions of this strainer. One has a 90degree inlet, the other has a straight inlet. A link on where I purchased is below. I found it best on the LXI to use the straight inlet. 

First I removed the old hose. Upon removal I decided that the hose needed replacing as the interior wall of the hose was degrading. A short 4.5" length of hose was cut to attach the strainer to the raw water inlet. Another section of hose was cut to go between the strainer and the raw water pump. So far I am really happy how this turned out. The strainer is suspended in the air and not laying on the hull. The garden hose attachment point is easily accessible. 

https://inboardonline.com/search.php?search_query=strainer

(Always like ordering from Bakes, but they were out of stock on this product when I purchased)

IMG-0363.jpg
IMG-0366.jpg
IMG-0365.jpg
IMG-0364.jpg

Looks great!! About to do the same. Question - is the basket easy to take out for cleaning? Looks like you would have to remove the hoses.

@CraigSim To be honest I doubt I will have to remove the basket very often. You are correct though. Given the short distance and the stiffness of the hose, the hose going from the strainer to the water pump will need to be removed in order to separate the strainer to empty it. 

@UWSkier Thanks for noticing the bilge area. Quite a bit of time/care was spent detailing the engine/bilge area. To be honest. I am not sure about the check valve. I have not tried to flush it yet. Maybe someone else here will chime in. 

IMG-0337.jpg

Just now, asnowman said:

Where is the handle to shut off the through hull intake? 

And yes, that is a very nice clean bilge. 

The handle is in the glove box. For the life of me I can't seem to find the appropriate size/thread nut to reinstall the handle. I really didn't want to pull and replace the ball valve. I would hate to cause a leak trying to fix something so simple as the ball valve handle. 

Just now, sambo0012 said:

The handle is in the glove box. For the life of me I can't seem to find the appropriate size/thread nut to reinstall the handle. I really didn't want to pull and replace the ball valve. I would hate to cause a leak trying to fix something so simple as the ball valve handle. 

I will give you the appropriate handle retaining device if you will make the engine on my 05 lxi that clean! Dang.

36 minutes ago, asnowman said:

I will give you the appropriate handle retaining device if you will make the engine on my 05 lxi that clean! Dang.

Ditto!  My engine does not look like that.

It's @sambo0012 vs @justgary for cleanest engine on the site.  Too much dust here in AZ to try to compete with that!

• Like 2

If you intend to use the flush part, buy a Marpac 7-0418 fitting and install it through the transom near one of your lift rings.  Buy an RV water hose and thread it onto your flush/strainer kit, route the hose to your new fitting at the transom, and then cut the hose to length and use a hose clamp to hold in onto your fitting.  Now, you just hook your garden hose up at the transom without draping the hose over the gunwhale and scratching the gelcoat.

I added a check valve to my water inlet so I just hook up and flush.  I boat in salt water so it's not optional for me, I need to flush every outing.  I also use the Salt-Away dispenser to flush.

The Marpac fitting is stainless, by the way.  The other brands you will find are chrome plated brass, and will eventually peel.

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2020 at 7:18 AM, justgary said:

If you intend to use the flush part, buy a Marpac 7-0418 fitting and install it through the transom near one of your lift rings.  Buy an RV water hose and thread it onto your flush/strainer kit, route the hose to your new fitting at the transom, and then cut the hose to length and use a hose clamp to hold in onto your fitting.  Now, you just hook your garden hose up at the transom without draping the hose over the gunwhale and scratching the gelcoat.

I added a check valve to my water inlet so I just hook up and flush.  I boat in salt water so it's not optional for me, I need to flush every outing.  I also use the Salt-Away dispenser to flush.

The Marpac fitting is stainless, by the way.  The other brands you will find are chrome plated brass, and will eventually peel.

What size RV hose did you use to slip over the back of that Marpac fitting?  Guessing 5/8” should do it?

On 10/3/2020 at 12:40 AM, gvb said:

What size RV hose did you use to slip over the back of that Marpac fitting?  Guessing 5/8” should do it?

Sorry for the delay; I was out of town for a few weeks.  

Yes, the hose I bought was 5/8" ID.  I just went out and measured the cut end.  I had about 12' or so left, so I put a cheapie repair coupler on it and stowed it in the boat in case I need it some day.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Sorry for the delay; I was out of town for a few weeks.  

Yes, the hose I bought was 5/8" ID.  I just went out and measured the cut end.  I had about 12' or so left, so I put a cheapie repair coupler on it and stowed it in the boat in case I need it some day.

Thanks brotha!  Going with that exact same setup.  Did you use the Indmar Strainer?  If so, were you able to install with the stock hose or did you have to buy extra and loop it?

11 hours ago, gvb said:

Thanks brotha!  Going with that exact same setup.  Did you use the Indmar Strainer?  If so, were you able to install with the stock hose or did you have to buy extra and loop it?

I don't have room for a strainer.  The water I boat in doesn't really call for one anyway.

I have a 1-1/2" PVC check valve, then a 1-1/2" x 3/4" NPT tee that I threaded a hose adapter into, then a 1-1/4" barb for the inlet hose.  The hose adapter has a small ball valve built in in case I want to shut off the transom inlet.  This contraption takes up a bit more space than something built for the purpose, but it is very durable and easy to replace if a component happens to fail.

s25WmAw.jpg

12 hours ago, gvb said:

And by the way, if you go with a transom fitting, be sure to put the cap on every time before you use the boat on the water to keep it from sucking air into the raw water pump.  I have never had a problem with it, but my friend tells me that at least he can hear it sucking air when he forgets to cap his.