Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement depth gauge suggestions

Nitrousbird

My boat has the factory Lowrance 3500 depth gauge.  It works fine except the display is failing.  Unfortunately, it is no longer made and used replacements when they pop up on eBay tend to be very expensive and sell quickly.

So, anyone have any recommendations on a 2" depth finder gauge?  HawkEye makes one that looks decent but the reviews are mixed.  Anyone find a good one worth buying?  Lowrance, Humminbird and Faria also have options in this size.  

I replaced mine in my Sunsetter LX with a Faria and in-hull transducer.  The transducer performs well through the hull and adjusts to many different hull angles.

I have the Faria in my boat as well.  Reads temp and depth on the same screen, though you need to choose air or water temp.  The ONLY beef I have with it is that it's hard to read with polarized lenses on.  At least the batch mine is from that's true.  Not sure how that gets past QA testing for marine use.  Not enough of an issue for me to replace it though.

6 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

My boat has the factory Lowrance 3500 depth gauge.  It works fine except the display is failing.  Unfortunately, it is no longer made and used replacements when they pop up on eBay tend to be very expensive and sell quickly.

So, anyone have any recommendations on a 2" depth finder gauge?  HawkEye makes one that looks decent but the reviews are mixed.  Anyone find a good one worth buying?  Lowrance, Humminbird and Faria also have options in this size.  

It may just be the bias voltage is wrong now due to the LCD aging.  If they have a resistor to set the bias, you could probably fix it....

17 hours ago, justgary said:

It may just be the bias voltage is wrong now due to the LCD aging.  If they have a resistor to set the bias, you could probably fix it....

Nope, known issues with these with no fix.  A lot of other boat brands used this gauge.  It also uses a proprietary transducer at 192kHz instead of the normal 200kHz so you have to replace everything. 

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Nope, known issues with these with no fix.  A lot of other boat brands used this gauge.  It also uses a proprietary transducer at 192kHz instead of the normal 200kHz so you have to replace everything. 

Care to post a photo of the issue? 

• 1 month later...

Installed my new Depth Finder.  I went with this unit:

https://hawkeyeelectronics.com/collections/boat-mount/products/depthtrax-2bx-boat-mount-depth-finder?variant=31294662082673

Obviously I chose the thru-hull option.  Install notes:
- The stock transducer is smaller than the Airmar one.  I had to open up the hole with a 51mm hole saw.  Not an issue, done in a couple minutes.  I made the additional part of the opening toward the centerline of the boat
- The stock transducer was very close to a trailer bunk.  I discovered the new unit would fit until it got up to the lip, as the lip is wider than it is on the Lowrance transducer.  That means I had to get the boat out of the garage, drive down to the ramp (2 miles, no biggie), move the boat over on the trailer further than I should to get the clearance I needed.
- Plenty of excess wiring; I just followed the wiring path of a zillion other wires goes up to the dash.  I've done a ton of wiring in this boat, so I'm well seasoned on the process
- Cut the power/ground off the Lowrance gauge and tapped into the same wires for the new one
- Ran the temp probe to an area where it should get at least a decently accurate reading

Complaints about the new unit:
- The freaking buzzer (well, beeper).  It is loud; makes the one on my Perfect Pass seem quiet.  And the damn thing beeps three times every time you turn the ignition on or in accessory mode.  
- No separate power for the back light, so it is on all the time
- The depth graphic shown on sites (other than Hawkeye, looks like a depth chart), is made up and Hawkeye doesn't offer anything like that.  Not really a complaint, but more of an FYI

Fixes:
The beeper is too annoying to deal with.  I was either going to try to rip it out or find a way to muffle it.  I decided to muffle first.  It is in a recessed hole on the gauge, so I stuffed a piece of cloth tightly into the hole and they electrical taped over it.  That got rid of 80% of the sound - at this point it is tolerable, at least while testing in the garage, so I will leave it be for now, as ripping it out disables the depth alarm feature I will never use.

Haven't taken it on the water yet, so no review of its depth performance.

20200711-111227-HDR.jpg

20200711-111246-HDR.jpg

Edited by Nitrousbird
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

@Nitrousbird how did it go on the water? I tempted to install a Hawkeye but reviews on Amazon are mixed

Edited by uk_exile
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 3:27 AM, uk_exile said:

@Nitrousbird how did it go on the water? I tempted to install a Hawkeye but reviews on Amazon are mixed

Worked fine over the last 2 seasons.  Its not perfect (is any depth gauge?) but better than the old unit.  

On 5/13/2022 at 6:28 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Worked fine over the last 2 seasons.  Its not perfect (is any depth gauge?) but better than the old unit.  

Thanks. I've ordered a Hawkeye 2BX. Sadly it'll be 5 months before I get a chance  to use it.