Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Tank Vent discharge

Here I go again learning this boat. I don't feel this is an issue that needs to be fixed from anything malfunctioning on the boat, but more of my understanding. 

Boat is in my driveway currently for the week until I get into covered storage next weekend. Needless to say its hot (about 85-90 degrees) the past two days & boat is getting a lot of direct sunlight during the day. Tank is 3/4 full and on a very small incline with stern at the lower point (maybe 15 degree slant). 

Yesterday and today I have noticed gas spewing from the overflow vent on the side of the boat. I am assuming its a buildup of pressure from the heat and overflowing gas due to expansion + the boat slightly tilted towards the stern. Obvious issue is #1 is there an issue with my tank not "releasing" gas pressure appropriately and #2 it spills gas directly on my boat/trailer. 

Does anyone else experience this issue? Also has me thinking about gas being sent out the side of the boat when on the water, driving, etc... Almost feel its better to have the tank at 1/2 full or something. 

Thanks! 

Normal for that era of boat. When I first filled up my 06 VLX, was surprised to see fuel spraying out the vent as soon as I left the gas station. There was a check valve that we were installing at that time, think it was called a Racor? There used to be a sticky around here somewhere about it if I remember correctly.

MalibuNation

My 2003 does this too in the driveway which slopes downward towards my house.  The stern facing southward which intensifies the affect of the sun and heat.  I try to never have more than half a tank of gas while it sits in my driveway pre and post boatlift install.  Installing one of these helped some:

Thank you for bumping that, searching anything "tank" related on this page is full of ballast.

Assuming this vent overflow isnt really any issue when in covered storage and level? Or does it tend to be an issue no mater what? 

8 hours ago, BlacknBu said:

Thank you for bumping that, searching anything "tank" related on this page is full of ballast.

Assuming this vent overflow isnt really any issue when in covered storage and level? Or does it tend to be an issue no mater what? 

If you slam it full in cooler weather, it will burp even in a garage when weather gets hot again.