Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

‘07 Wakesetter LSV Fuse Box?

Ok, so I have read tons of “where is my fuse box?” posts, and still not clear. My center ballast FILL pump is not turning on at all, no sound/nothing. Hit the switch, light on switch goes on for a second then pops the breaker. I assume I have a bad pump cartridge, which has been ordered, but trying to figure out if there is a fuse box I am somehow missing. All the posts I see talk about there being one under the dash, maybe that is only on boats newer than mine? If there is one please post a pic, thank you!

Edited by MavDax

I have the same boat.  You do not have a traditional car type fuse panel you have a circuit breaker panel located drivers side under the arm rest.  There are separate breakers for the main electrical near the batteries and an inline fuse for the radio.  When a ballast fill or drain pump trip a breaker its due to a blockage or a bad pump.  Pump cartridges are $35 on Amazon.  Here is a link to your owners manual.  https://www.m2omarine.com/fckimages/pdf/MALIBU-owner/10.pdf 

On 6/3/2020 at 9:58 AM, Zippymbr said:

I have the same boat.  You do not have a traditional car type fuse panel you have a circuit breaker panel located drivers side under the arm rest.  There are separate breakers for the main electrical near the batteries and an inline fuse for the radio.  When a ballast fill or drain pump trip a breaker its due to a blockage or a bad pump.  Pump cartridges are $35 on Amazon.  Here is a link to your owners manual.  https://www.m2omarine.com/fckimages/pdf/MALIBU-owner/10.pdf 

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have the manual and know about the circuit breakers. I had just read a number of posts where people said there was a fuse box under the steering wheel in addition to the breakers, but I have never seen one. I also got the pump I ordered today, put it in, and no difference. Light on my rocker switch goes in for a second, no sound on the pump, and then trips the breaker. I am guessing next step is to order a new 5amp circuit? 

3 hours ago, MavDax said:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have the manual and know about the circuit breakers. I had just read a number of posts where people said there was a fuse box under the steering wheel in addition to the breakers, but I have never seen one. I also got the pump I ordered today, put it in, and no difference. Light on my rocker switch goes in for a second, no sound on the pump, and then trips the breaker. I am guessing next step is to order a new 5amp circuit? 

First pull the pump and see if there is an obstruction at the through hull.  You should be able to see clearly through the boat.  Then take a multi meter and turn on the pump see if it spins and check voltage.  If no voltage or weak voltage you will need to trace the wires from the pump to the rocker switch and look for a pinched or corroded wire terminal.  Boats are wet environments corrosion happens.  Check continuity on both leads to the pump from the rocker to make sure you don't have an intermittent short. One lead will be the Hot lead and the other will be to ground.   Its not very likely to be the breaker, that would be my last part to replace.  My bet is an obstruction or a bad connection/wire.  

On 6/5/2020 at 9:11 PM, Zippymbr said:

First pull the pump and see if there is an obstruction at the through hull.  You should be able to see clearly through the boat.  Then take a multi meter and turn on the pump see if it spins and check voltage.  If no voltage or weak voltage you will need to trace the wires from the pump to the rocker switch and look for a pinched or corroded wire terminal.  Boats are wet environments corrosion happens.  Check continuity on both leads to the pump from the rocker to make sure you don't have an intermittent short. One lead will be the Hot lead and the other will be to ground.   Its not very likely to be the breaker, that would be my last part to replace.  My bet is an obstruction or a bad connection/wire.  

I can see through the hull for front ballast, but the center doesn’t go straight down so can’t tell for sure. However as mentioned, there is no power or movement in the pump. I already took it out and moved the impeller with my hands, then tried turning on, but nothing

On 6/10/2020 at 11:36 AM, Zippymbr said:

You more than likely have a bad pump cartridge.  I bought a few on amazon they are an easy replacement.

I appreciate the attempted help, but I mentioned in my last post that I had just replaced the pump. Guessing circuit breaker or wiring at the is point. Just a little confused

7 hours ago, MavDax said:

I appreciate the attempted help, but I mentioned in my last post that I had just replaced the pump. Guessing circuit breaker or wiring at the is point. Just a little confused

Sorry, you tested voltage at the pump and got 12v on the hot?  If so you need to trace the ground.  Electrical problems on a 12v system can be very tricky and a voltmeter is an essential tool.  Start by using the DMM to confirm power to the switch and then 12v at the pump.  If voltage is good then look at the ground wire.  I do not know where the ground points are but they will be at least one from the main panel to the block of the engine and another where your batteries connect. Bad grounds are the cause of a lot of 12v problems.  If you find low or no voltage I would run a jumper wire from the switch to the pump and see if you can bypass the bad wire.  Then you can replace the tripping circuit breaker.  The breaker is usually just a symptom of the problem not the problem itself.  

2 hours ago, Zippymbr said:

Sorry, you tested voltage at the pump and got 12v on the hot?  If so you need to trace the ground.  Electrical problems on a 12v system can be very tricky and a voltmeter is an essential tool.  Start by using the DMM to confirm power to the switch and then 12v at the pump.  If voltage is good then look at the ground wire.  I do not know where the ground points are but they will be at least one from the main panel to the block of the engine and another where your batteries connect. Bad grounds are the cause of a lot of 12v problems.  If you find low or no voltage I would run a jumper wire from the switch to the pump and see if you can bypass the bad wire.  Then you can replace the tripping circuit breaker.  The breaker is usually just a symptom of the problem not the problem itself.  

Thanks. I will have to go get a multimeter, don’t currently have one. 

28 minutes ago, MavDax said:

Thanks. I will have to go get a multimeter, don’t currently have one. 

Without one you can't hope to diagnose.  

Ok, so issue solved. Turns out the pump I was replacing was NOT the center ballast. Based on all the threads I read I incorrectly thought both my bow and center ballast were in the bilge hatch. In reality the Bow Fill, Center Drain, and bulge are the only ones in there. My center pump is in the Stern locker under the seat on the starboard side of the transmission. Pulled it, no clogs, but it was locked. Broke it free until it spun freely and BOOM all fixed. I think the connection on my breaker was also a little off as it stopped tripping after a clean.

thank you Zippymbr for your help

1 hour ago, MavDax said:

Ok, so issue solved. Turns out the pump I was replacing was NOT the center ballast. Based on all the threads I read I incorrectly thought both my bow and center ballast were in the bilge hatch. In reality the Bow Fill, Center Drain, and bulge are the only ones in there. My center pump is in the Stern locker under the seat on the starboard side of the transmission. Pulled it, no clogs, but it was locked. Broke it free until it spun freely and BOOM all fixed. I think the connection on my breaker was also a little off as it stopped tripping after a clean.

thank you Zippymbr for your help

So glad you figured  it out!