Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Feedback on - 2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX

DGAZ

Hey guys

Hope everyone’s having an incredible weekend. So a quick update! I really purchased the boat for the family but it was my wife’s birthday 🎂  yesterday so of course I made the Malibu her gift & added some roses and a cake

I spent all Wed & Thursday morning pulling everything out & detailing her as best I could. Amazing what you find left in these things 😬 The best for me was 2 old Coors Light cans that I had my 10 year old pull out from the engine bay with one of those long grabber thingies. Nothing wrong with Coors Light home of the Rockies but found it funny & just a good reminder that he definitely didn’t cosmetically take as good care as was lead on but whatev 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m confident he took care of the innards 

So we took another family out to Canyon Lake for my wife’s birthday Thursday. Outside of the steering wheel giving me the workout of my life “ From your guys older feeds, I was able to remove the cable from the rudder. Wheel still crazy tight & rudder moved freely. Just got a new cable yesterday & will be replacing tomorrow”, and having to wiggle a few wires and switches here and there to get things rolling, it performed like a beast. The motor was incredible, didn’t find any leaks, we only let the kids tube this time around but even with the wedge up & no ballast, it created a pretty nice lookin wake

I’m going to add another comment after this with some pictures over the last few days. Detailing her, first fillup, day at the lake, and removing the cable yesterday. Hope you guys enjoy. I have an appoint to rip out the full interior & do a complete restore of the fabrics including carpeting. I can’t wait! Just need to figure out what direction to go for all the fabrics. I’m thinking we keep some of the old but bring in some new. Was thinking white, blue & maybe bringing in some deep brown to tie in the  beautiful tique

Any tips or tricks for the cable replacement would be helpful, outside of what I’ve already read. Reminder, I’ve only removed the cable from the rudder.

Anyhow, I plan on responding to all the previous comments in the next day or so. Really appreciate everyone’s feedback and support

Edited by DGAZ

Awesome!
And nice touch to turn the new boat into a birthday present, very cool idea, guess y’all had a day to remember!

Steering cable replacement - not a real bad job, a 2nd set of hands can’t hurt tho. One of the kids will absolutely do! :biggrin:

Remove the rudder steering tiller bolt from the end of the cable.

Inspect it, if it is worn, replace.

Tie a 20 foot rope or a sturdy cable/wire to the end of the steering cable, loosen and remove the 4 bolts that hold the rack and pinion under the dash together and while a 2nd person feeds the rope, pull the old steering cable out from under the dash.

On YouTube there’s a video of that process somewhere.

You might have to cut a few cable ties along the way.

Putting in the new cable is basically the same procedure in reverse - tie the rope to the end of the new cable, have someone in the back pull the rope while you feed the cable through the hull. You might want to wrap the end of the steering cable in duct tape to cover its rough edges. That way it will not get hung up somewhere.

Edited by Chaabo
15 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

Awesome!
And nice touch to turn the new boat into a birthday present, very cool idea, guess y’all had a day to remember!

Steering cable replacement - not a real bad job, a 2nd set of hands can’t hurt tho. One of the kids will absolutely do! :biggrin:

Remove the rudder steering tiller bolt from the end of the cable.

Inspect it, if it is worn, replace.

Tie a 20 foot rope or a sturdy cable/wire to the end of the steering cable, loosen and remove the 4 bolts that hold the rack and pinion under the dash together and while a 2nd person feeds the rope, pull the old steering cable out from under the dash.

On YouTube there’s a video of that process somewhere.

You might have to cut a few cable ties along the way.

Putting in the new cable is basically the same procedure in reverse - tie the rope to the end of the new cable, have someone in the back pull the rope while you feed the cable through the hull. You might want to wrap the end of the steering cable in duct tape to cover its rough edges. That way it will not get hung up somewhere.

Incredible feedback really appreciate it

Ha Ha yeah anytime you can get yourself a toy & make it a birthday present is a good day ha ha. Honestly though at 39 my joy comes from seeing the wife, kids & friends out on the lake having fun, & enjoying more of life outside the walls we call home. My role is to make it happen right 😅

Thanks again! I’ll be in touch with any questions that may arise 

7 hours ago, DGAZ said:

018DE506-94DA-42C2-BD57-1624AA347DEA.jpe58FCCCE7-1EB3-420F-9C1C-AEADDF68C24A.jpeE29A0024-C08E-4A9D-AF47-74969C2E9E86.jpe545FA4E0-D382-4421-8F7D-96FE661378BE.jpeACE07EDB-07AE-42F6-ADB9-F7583FE272B7.jpe41E9E068-1191-4C36-A487-AD5BC9235A99.jpe256ECBA3-9A51-4684-AF22-72F5E75F0E15.jpeD3B264F4-B533-459A-B854-CBFEE2CD16AD.jpeFDBB405B-3139-4DE3-8C42-3FEDA42B5C81.jpe

Awesome man glad your enjoying.  A few thoughts...

Glued down OEM carpet flooring sucks.  It’s stains from dirty lake water, it stinks and it just looks dated.  If you are going to do a complete interior definitely consider an alternative flooring such as gator step, seadek or someone even had some newer looking pontoon flooring that looked great.    Gator step is more work because you have the smooth and level the floor but it would bring the interior to rival new boats.  Also consider newer style vinyl as well vs some that’s similar to what’s in there how’s. Something to consider. 

Look lke you guys had a great first weekend!

13 hours ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

Awesome man glad your enjoying.  A few thoughts...

Glued down OEM carpet flooring sucks.  It’s stains from dirty lake water, it stinks and it just looks dated.  If you are going to do a complete interior definitely consider an alternative flooring such as gator step, seadek or someone even had some newer looking pontoon flooring that looked great.    Gator step is more work because you have the smooth and level the floor but it would bring the interior to rival new boats.  Also consider newer style vinyl as well vs some that’s similar to what’s in there how’s. Something to consider. 

Look lke you guys had a great first weekend!

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. Feedback is great

That gator step is incredible. I completely agree. Adding that would take it to a whole new level and just so practical. I think the guy for upholstery will install gator step as well

For upholstery, I was thinking of maybe going with something similar to the 2020 Malibu VLX’s. As far as color schemes, patterns etc. And then add in the Gator step would be incredible

• Like 2
10 hours ago, DGAZ said:

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. Feedback is great

That gator step is incredible. I completely agree. Adding that would take it to a whole new level and just so practical. I think the guy for upholstery will install gator step as well

For upholstery, I was thinking of maybe going with something similar to the 2020 Malibu VLX’s. As far as color schemes, patterns etc. And then add in the Gator step would be incredible

If he installs gator step and does a more complex vinyl pattern and it still comes in at your estimate, it's a screaming deal and I'm taking my boat up there in the fall!  :)

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2020 at 6:50 AM, KDCr7 said:

Congrats! I love that blue. 

Thanks man! Likewise... seems like such a classic color. So sorry for the late reply. I’m gonna add an update here shortly. Having some fun with her now 🙌🏻

Hey MalibuCrew

Been a couple months now since I got my VLX. Hope everyone’s been doin great. Just wanted to give a quick update

My family & friends are having an absolute blast. Definitely a life changing & priceless experience owning your own boat. We’ve already made so many incredible memories out here on Canyon Lake in AZ. I’d really like to make it up to Lake Powell this year. Long drive but seems like it would be an amazing experience

Real quick on current projects. I’m redoing the full interior & just got my first pics on the tanning shelf. What do you guys think? Decided to keep the primary colors on the shelf white to keep things cool, while incorporating the exterior colors. I decided to design my interior, using the same fabric patterns but similar & based on the 2020 Malibu’s color schemes 

I just got my gatorstep templates to start that process. This guys incredible & will do that project as well. I think I’m going with Black, to tie in the black accents on the boat. Possible go gray but I’m leaning more toward black. What are your guys thoughts. My friend has a 2020 Tige with black gatorstep & says it stays cool

Anyhow, that’s it for now. Let me know what you guys think. I’ll share more next week when I go see the boat

Take Care & thanks again for all your help when I first got the boatD81FAAE6-AEDA-44B8-B1D3-85004D68D931.jpeDE877393-9ED0-430D-AF71-59FB877B5648.jpeD461004D-A13A-407F-9387-DB0CB92DBFAE.jpeF131F7A3-86AB-4882-BA2B-EB6D76A0424C.jpe