Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Feedback on - 2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX

DGAZ

39 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

There's a phase you don't hear very often.. Cool.  One of my great gand uncles was a cobbler - did some amazing work.

47 minutes ago, DGAZ said:

I’m a cobbler 

Crazy, I am as well!

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

There's a phase you don't hear very often.. Cool.  One of my great gand uncles was a cobbler - did some amazing work.

Ha Ha facts. Very cool

Thats probably why I’m confident in saying it. Such an incredible American past time. A lost art & trade & gets worse every year. Sad really 

See if I can get this right 🤔 my great great uncle was a cobbler. I had no clue until I was 10 years in the game. My mom gave me his 150+ year old steel lasts. Some of the most treasured items I own. 

5 minutes ago, asp13 said:

Crazy, I am as well!

No way 🙌🏻
Loving this site more and more with every passing hour 😅

so cool

Get him to knock off several hundred for the risers.  The problem is that the rust ring is an indication that the inside of the manifolds and risers are near the end of their lives, and you will spend about a grand replacing them. 

If you don't fix them, water will leak into your cylinders, hydro lock the engine and bend a few rods. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, justgary said:

Get him to knock off several hundred for the risers.  The problem is that the rust ring is an indication that the inside of the manifolds and risers are near the end of their lives, and you will spend about a grand replacing them. 

If you don't fix them, water will leak into your cylinders, hydro lock the engine and bend a few rods. 

Got em down to $16,700 🙌🏻🎉🙌🏻

3 hours ago, DGAZ said:

Gotcha

Thank You! Would you let rust right there prevent you from buying a boat? Or is there anything you would look for to give you more confidence 

🤙🏼

It definitely would not prevent it, but I think the point being made by me and others is that he is not being honest about how the boat has been maintained.  So, simply proceed with caution, do your homework on it.  Compression test, water test, etc.  All things aside, the VLX is likely my next boat, and likely around that year due to the price point.  And I love the blue and white, it's a classic color scheme that doesn't get old.  If I bought it for $17k I'd be immediately putting $3k in interior, maybe more depending on how much you DIY.  You definitely need the guide poles for the trailer, the teak deck looks warped, exhaust risers, etc. I'd be likely to put another $5k total into it.  So if you are OK with that boat all in at $23k, then go for it - it will hold that value for a long time.  But much more than that and you are upside down on it, which again can be OK as long as you know what you are getting into.

There are no pictures of the underside of the hull, how does it look underneath?  Scratched up, hole repairs, bent fins, bent prop, etc. are things to look for.  Also, it has a water scum line on the underside of the bow so it was left in the water long enough to create that, which could take a long weekend or week or more of mooring, depending on the water.

4 minutes ago, DGAZ said:

She’s ours 🎉 It’s on the trailer ladies & gentleman. I’m so excited to be a part of the club & share more with you. You guys are incredible! Thank You so much for your guidance. My gut feels good! Feel like I got an incredible deal with what this boat has to offer. No buyers remorse at all 🤙🏼

Motor gives me goose bumps. Purrrs like a kitten

Not gonna lie, interior upholstery is pretty beat up but no biggie. Don’t plan on having it in there long. I have some big fun plans for her. Can’t wait to share more

I’ll be in touch

ACA05261-4E57-4389-9C03-357041D52B05.jpe 

Oh & some more great news

$3,300 under my budget so have going to allocate that to perfect pass & interior 🙌🏻

2 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

It definitely would not prevent it, but I think the point being made by me and others is that he is not being honest about how the boat has been maintained.  So, simply proceed with caution, do your homework on it.  Compression test, water test, etc.  All things aside, the VLX is likely my next boat, and likely around that year due to the price point.  And I love the blue and white, it's a classic color scheme that doesn't get old.  If I bought it for $17k I'd be immediately putting $3k in interior, maybe more depending on how much you DIY.  You definitely need the guide poles for the trailer, the teak deck looks warped, exhaust risers, etc. I'd be likely to put another $5k total into it.  So if you are OK with that boat all in at $23k, then go for it - it will hold that value for a long time.  But much more than that and you are upside down on it, which again can be OK as long as you know what you are getting into.

There are no pictures of the underside of the hull, how does it look underneath?  Scratched up, hole repairs, bent fins, bent prop, etc. are things to look for.  Also, it has a water scum line on the underside of the bow so it was left in the water long enough to create that, which could take a long weekend or week or more of mooring, depending on the water.

Great feedback

I got him down to $16,700... way under budget so gonna have some fun like you said. I plan on investing up to $5-10k right up front. Especially if now I know it will hold value 👊🏻 Thank you for that tip

I’m getting back on the road so will get back to you tomorrow if that’s cool

13 minutes ago, DGAZ said:

Great feedback

I got him down to $16,700... way under budget so gonna have some fun like you said. I plan on investing up to $5-10k right up front. Especially if now I know it will hold value 👊🏻 Thank you for that tip

What's cool is that you went for it and have it in tow!  If you plan on 5-10k, you are going to have a fantastic machine.  Congratulations!

How is the cover?  If no good there’s at least $800.  No PP is another $600+ Stargazer.  The interior is beyond trashed...3k-8k depending on how you chose to fix it.  Those blue plugs wires are original so I’d at least do tune up.  Plugs, wires (new ones are red), cap, rotors and all fluids.  There’s 5k minimum right there but probably more.  Factor all that in with your offer.  

5 hours ago, DGAZ said:

No way 🙌🏻
Loving this site more and more with every passing hour 😅

so cool

2 hours ago, DGAZ said:

Great feedback

That’s a great boat! I miss mine all the time. I upgraded and love it, but that was my first boat!  And it was amazing. Slalom, surf, wakeboard, socialize. It started out bare with no options. 

Perfect Pass was #1. Then the tower, bimini, wedge (what’s wakeboarding?), racks, sound, new graphics, new vinyl, etc. 

The point is THAT is a nice ride. 

Here’s mine right before I sold it off to Georgia. :(

34061610384_ebb55aaca8_o

• Like 3
13 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I've been surfing ours since 2005 with three bags and the wedge. Not a super long wave but tons of push. I'm 250lbs and on a decent board I could stand back there all day, carve bottom turns, do lip slides etc. Never rode out a 360 without being saved by the rope, but that's an Indian problem, not an arrow problem. Never tried it with a shaper like a suck gate. We got bored of surfing after a few years. 

UWSkier you have to try it with a suck gate!  It will totally change your experience!!  It's so much better!  but then again, I also have 2500lbs of ballast. 

Edited by wakesetterDD
  • Like 2

Hey all

I know late but apparently a lot of people are staying out past curfew these days 🤷🏻‍♂️

** My first concern **
So of course this is the first time I lifted the hatch to the front ski locker 🤦🏻

To my excitement I found ehhhh maybe 2-3” of water in there. I read a forum on hear from a few years back regarding.....

water leaking into the locker from the bilge. Sounds like a lot of us have that issue. Any remedies you all have found for the 01’s?

Also... is it a huge concern I should have? Like life threatening boat breaks apart. 🍋 status?

Thanks again! I plan on getting back to all the unanswered responses tomorrow. Just got back to Phx

Edited by DGAZ
14 minutes ago, DGAZ said:

Hey all

I know late but apparently a lot of people are staying out past curfew these days 🤷🏻‍♂️

** My first concern **
So of course this is the first time I lifted the hatch to the front ski locker 🤦🏻

To my excitement I found ehhhh maybe 2-3” of water in there. I read a forum on hear from a few years back regarding.....

water leaking into the locker from the bilge. Sounds like a lot of us have that issue. Any remedies you all have found for the 01’s?

Also... is it a huge concern I should have? Like life threatening boat breaks apart. 🍋 status?

Thanks again! I plan on getting back to all the unanswered responses tomorrow. Just got back to Phx

You just have to determine where it’s coming from.  Loose hose, shaft picking, rain from cover, etc.  When I bought mine the exhaust manifold quick disconnect hose fitting leaked.  Easy fix.  Also, If the boats not in the water the plug should be out.  

4 minutes ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

You just have to determine where it’s coming from.  Loose hose, shaft picking, rain from cover, etc.  When I bought mine the exhaust manifold quick disconnect hose fitting leaked.  Easy fix.  Also, If the boats not in the water the plug should be out.  

Gotcha thank you

Got the water out with 3 passes on the shop vac

Pulling the plug now

I had him run it in the lake. I’m assuming that’s where the water came from but I’ll ask in the am. Wonder if the water would have stayed out with the plug out. Crossing my fingers

Thanks again! I’ll be in touch 

9 minutes ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

Let me rephrase that

I’m wondering and hoping that if I pulled the plug after we got out of the water, it would have drained out 🤞🏼

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, DGAZ said:

Let me rephrase that

I’m wondering and hoping that if I pulled the plug after we got out of the water, it would have drained out 🤞🏼

So you are just worried with the amount of water left in the bilge/ski locker? There’s always going to be some but not an excessive amount.  Suck it all out then watch on you next outing for any leaks and see how much it fills. 

The only way to get it all out is usually the shop vac.

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX
  • Like 2
50 minutes ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

So you are just worried with the amount of water left in the bilge/ski locker? There’s always going to be some but not an excessive amount.  Suck it all out then watch on you next outing for any leaks and see how much it fills. 

Ok great

Yes! That gives me a ton of piece of mind. Was thinking they pulled a fast one on me but now I know it’s a bit of a norm. I’ll pay attention to where the water comes from next time & go from there. Thank You 👊🏻

The ski locker is the lowest point on the boat, so if any water leaks... that’s where it ends up. There is a plug that goes in the back of the locker compartment you can put in to keep the water out. Assuming the water is coming from the engine area.

5 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

The ski locker is the lowest point on the boat, so if any water leaks... that’s where it ends up. There is a plug that goes in the back of the locker compartment you can put in to keep the water out. Assuming the water is coming from the engine area.

Ya I get a ton of water collecting in my ski locker; and while my cover is decent, it still leaks quite a bit of water when it rains.  The floor looks dry by the time I take off the cover but there is still water in the ski locker. I bought my boat with a ballast port plumbed into the ski locker drain so I can't get water out of there easily... so I go hunting for hills so the water will drain past the gas tank to the stern drain. 

I agree with what's been said- drain all the water out, close everything up, then watch again for leaks.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:51 PM, RedWakesetterVLX said:

Ok great

Yes! That gives me a ton of piece of mind. Was thinking they pulled a fast one on me but now I know it’s a bit of a norm. I’ll pay attention to where the water comes from next time & go from there. Thank You 👊🏻