Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow vehicle

Scartzy

39 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Now I just drive a Super Duty and don’t worry about any of it. 

Yup.  Having to do tow math every time you load up for a trip sucks.  :)

IMG_4463.jpeg

Edited by jjackkrash
26 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

IMG_4463.jpeg

And that is one of the big (non-Compat) parking spots in the Seattle area.  I miss normal sized parking spots!!! (IE: Texas, Arizona..)  Someone in Seattle decided long ago that everyone drives a Honda Civic. :-/  Makes driving a full size around here a tad bit frustrating at times.

12 minutes ago, gregtay said:

And that is one of the big (non-Compat) parking spots in the Seattle area.  I miss normal sized parking spots!!! (IE: Texas, Arizona..)  Someone in Seattle decided long ago that everyone drives a Honda Civic. :-/  Makes driving a full size around here a tad bit frustrating at times.

If I tried to go into a parking garage in Seattle I'd need to bring my excavator if I wanted to get out. :)  

I see I have angered some of the Chevy fans.  Sorry not sorry.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:04 PM, jjackkrash said:

Ya, I disagree with this, not since the direct injected 5.3 came put.  The old 5.3 was a pig, the DI 5.3 is snappy as hell and has a great torque curve.  I have one in my boat and my dad has one in his new truck and it is a great engine, IMO, especially mated with one of the new transmissions.

I'm not surprised you disagree.  This isn't a jab, but it is important to say where you sit before you say where you stand.  Pretty obvious you are one of the biggest GM supporters on the board.  Honestly, if the Aztec came out today I could see you singing it's praises (maybe a bit of a stretch, but I have NEVER seen you post anything less than complimentary about Chevy).

So, does "worst in class" sit better with you than anemic?  Because that is what the 5.3 is.  355 HP and 383 TQ

The Durango (not way off in size to the Tahoe) has the engine that is closest to output to the 5.3.  360/390.

The Toyota Sequoia has 381/401.

The Nissan Armada has 390/394.

And the Expedition has 375/470.  And the difference in torque is something you can ABSOLUTELY feel.

On 6/6/2020 at 6:15 AM, IXFE said:

Also, the trans temps you posted were NOT my experience either. Sure the GM got hot, everybody knows this about them. But 250?  Post pics or it didn’t happen. 

Pics or it didn't happen?  You know, a lot of things went through my mind every time (not just once) when it got to those temps.  But you know what didn't cross my mind?  Gee, I better take some photos of the read out, otherwise 9 Iron on the internet won't believe me.  So, since I don't have that, maybe you will accept multiple threads started here as proof?

Here is where I complained and looked for suggestions to eliminate trailer sway.  That was back in 2016.

Here is where I complained about the transmission and engine temps last year when I still owned the Yukon.  The first post on the 2nd page is where I mention how it overheated towing in August.

In my experience it was more like 195 towing on flat ground and 225 after climbing the Siskiyou Pass in southern Oregon (4000’ elevation, highest point on I-5).

Wow.  4000'.  Did you need oxygen at that level?  4000' elevation is 700' higher than the LOWEST point in Colorado.

For the record, the passes where I got the highest temps were:

Rabbit Ears Pass - 9426'

Vail Pass - 10,666'

Eisenhower - 11,158'

Monarch Pass - 11,312

Although the last straw was when the Yukon got so hot that the computer shut off the air conditioning as I was going up Mount Vernon Canyon, probably an elevation of 6500' - 7000'.

I don’t have any recent experiences to share mainly because I stopped towing with 1/2 tons years ago, and I’ll never go back. This entire thread reminds me of when I used to spend a lot of time sweating the 1/2 ton towing conversation... all the mental gymnastics I used to do worry about boat weight, tow ratings, receiver capacity, trans temp, etc etc. Now I just drive a Super Duty and don’t worry about any of it. Knowing what I know now, I should have gotten one sooner. @Scartzy, unless you have four kids, I’d HIGHLY recommend you skip the SUV’s and get an HD truck. 

No argument that a Heavy Duty truck is the best tow option.  In fact, that is my primary tow vehicle - a RAM 3500 DRW.  That is used to tow our RV when we go camping, so I need something else to tow the boat.  And I don't want two HD trucks.  And honestly, there is no reason that you should NEED a HD to tow a 7000 pound boat.

Edited by RyanB
On 6/6/2020 at 6:52 AM, jjackkrash said:

IMG_4463.jpeg

I do like the looks of your truck.  GMC was on the ball with that design.  The Chevy design with their current HD, is far from my flavor of choice.

@RyanB... I don’t make a habit of memorizing where internet strangers live.... So you live in Colorado and regularly tow above 10k feet?  I guess that explains a lot... 🙄

p.s. I haven’t owned a GM product in many many years. Keep beating your drum...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I see I have angered some of the Chevy fans.  Sorry not sorry.

I'm not surprised you disagree.  This isn't a jab, but it is important to say where you sit before you say where you stand.  Pretty obvious you are one of the biggest GM supporters on the board.  Honestly, if the Aztec came out today I could see you singing it's praises (maybe a bit of a stretch, but I have NEVER seen you post anything less than complimentary about Chevy).

So, does "worst in class" sit better with you than anemic?  Because that is what the 5.3 is.  355 HP and 383 TQ

The Durango (not way off in size to the Tahoe) has the engine that is closest to output to the 5.3.  360/390.

The Toyota Sequoia has 381/401.

The Nissan Armada has 390/394.

And the Expedition has 375/470.  And the difference in torque is something you can ABSOLUTELY feel.

Okey dokey.  I freely admit I love my GM HD diesel trucks ('13, '16, '19, and now '20).

But there isn't a GM car I'd even consider buying, unless maybe I could steal a vette for a bargain.  And I wouldn't buy a current or previous gen Tahoe to tow with because the wheel base is too short and I 100% agree the transmission temps are a real problem.  I prefer German SUVs by a long margin (and sedans, etc.) but I'd also take a Toyota or Lexus over a Tahoe for towing.  The new Tahoes look promising, however, as they are lighter and stronger and longer and wider and have tons of improvements, and you can get the 6.2l in the lower trims now.   So, we'll see, the 2021Tahoe may be a winner.  But I am hardly a GM fanboy when it comes to SUVs.

As far as the engine goes, the 5.3l GDI is a great engine if you can't get a 6.2l.  It is naturally aspirated and direct injected and lighter than all the engines you listed and more fuel efficient (except maybe the Ford ecoboost, and I've never once bashed the ecoboost, which I agree, is a fantastic engine--the only real problem with the ecoboost is they stick it in a Ford SUV body).  And the 5.3L works great mated with the '19 and newer GM 1/2 ton trannies.  So, I still disagree its anemic or "worst in class."  

I am happy with the 5.3L and 8 speed in my 2016 Denali.  Sure, it's not the raw powerhouse that my modified Nissan Titan was, but it does just fine.  Even out here in the heat it'll pull away from a stoplight with the boat in tow right along with traffic.  I see lots of folks moving to other lanes at red lights because they don't want to be behind "that guy with the boat."  I'm never the slowest lane if it's me at the front of the line, and that's without flogging it.  Only time I flog it with the boat in tow is when I have to pass the occasional 5th wheel rig going uphill on the way back from the lake (few times a year).

If I lived in Colorado, yeah, I'd have a turbo or at least a 6.2.  Same if I was regularly towing a 22' or larger wake boat.  In most of Arizona, the altitude tax isn't that bad. 

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I do like the looks of your truck.  GMC was on the ball with that design.  The Chevy design with their current HD, is far from my flavor of choice.

Thanks!  I do love my GM HD trucks.  :)

3 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Okey dokey.  I freely admit I love my GM HD diesel trucks ('13, '16, '19, and now '20).

But there isn't a GM car I'd even consider buying, unless maybe I could steal a vette for a bargain.  And I wouldn't buy a current or previous gen Tahoe to tow with because the wheel base is too short and I 100% agree the transmission temps are a real problem.  I prefer German SUVs by a long margin (and sedans, etc.) but I'd also take a Toyota or Lexus over a Tahoe for towing.  The new Tahoes look promising, however, as they are lighter and stronger and longer and wider and have tons of improvements, and you can get the 6.2l in the lower trims now.   So, we'll see, the 2021Tahoe may be a winner.  But I am hardly a GM fanboy when it comes to SUVs.

As far as the engine goes, the 5.3l GDI is a great engine if you can't get a 6.2l.  It is naturally aspirated and direct injected and lighter than all the engines you listed and more fuel efficient (except maybe the Ford ecoboost, and I've never once bashed the ecoboost, which I agree, is a fantastic engine--the only real problem with the ecoboost is they stick it in a Ford SUV body).  And the 5.3L works great mated with the '19 and newer GM 1/2 ton trannies.  So, I still disagree its anemic or "worst in class."  

GM 5.3L absolutely shreds the Ecoboost when towing in terms of MPG in like vs like conditions.

For the past three years, my dad has been making an annual trip from WI to Lake Erie.  Three trucks, three almost identical tandem-axled Skeeter or Ranger fishing boats.  Two GM 5.3L, one 6 speed, one 8 speed, both 4wd.  Unsure axle ratio.  One 2016 Ecoboost 3.5L.

Mostly highway speeds.  Ecoboost gets 8-9 MPG.  GMs get around 11-12.  GM guys are always complaining about stopping with half tank of fuel because the Ford needs to fill up.

Sure, the Ecoboost would win a 0-60 competition with the boat in tow.

6 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

GM 5.3L absolutely shreds the Ecoboost when towing in terms of MPG in like vs like conditions.

For the past three years, my dad has been making an annual trip from WI to Lake Erie.  Three trucks, three almost identical tandem-axled Skeeter or Ranger fishing boats.  Two GM 5.3L, one 6 speed, one 8 speed, both 4wd.  Unsure axle ratio.  One 2016 Ecoboost 3.5L.

Mostly highway speeds.  Ecoboost gets 8-9 MPG.  GMs get around 11-12.  GM guys are always complaining about stopping with half tank of fuel because the Ford needs to fill up.

Sure, the Ecoboost would win a 0-60 competition with the boat in tow.

Good to know.  The 5.3l sips fuel in my boat compared to all the other ski boats I've owned, and my current boat is a high drag hull compared to the rest I've owned.  I really do think both the 5.3L and 6.2L GDI engines are fantastic.   

17 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

My apologies if I mis-read some of your other posts.

I do stand by the comment about the 5.3 being worst in class, because the HP and TQ numbers are what they are.

I'll also agree that the MPG of the 5.3 is pretty good - better than an EcoBoost/Hemi/5.0/5.6 Nissan or 5.7 Toyota.  Both in EPA rating and real life driving.  Pick your poison, as there are always trade offs between power and economy.  I'll choose power, especially in a tow vehicle.

10 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Pick your poison, as there are always trade offs between power and economy.  I'll choose power, especially in a tow vehicle.

I can't say I disagree with this.  Fuel economy is on my list of things I want but never very high.  :)