Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Confusion

Attached are screenshots from Acme and WakeMakers. Why are they different? I called WakeMakers and they told me I might also want to consider the 2773.

I’m gonna run 3-4K extra ballast including people. I’d like a prop to use at 3,000’ ASL in addition to my 2277. Perhaps something that might have better hole shot. 

2016 25 LSV with 450 is boat. 

Why is ACME recommendations different than WakeMakers? Why hadn’t I heard of these 3065 and up props? 

076F1D93-F240-4C5A-8DF8-4F5B2CBA61E5.thumb.png.52ca5aa09a2e7d694281ff38f3011499.png

C26C2B63-BD13-4796-8685-4C599E68CFE2.png

Because one is an engineering company and manufacturer and the other is a retailer?  The retailer is going to have a lag in their recommendation. And the manufacturer is always going to push the newest thing (for good or bad). 

Just jump in and collect some data for us! :) 

37 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Because one is an engineering company and manufacturer and the other is a retailer?  The retailer is going to have a lag in their recommendation. And the manufacturer is always going to push the newest thing (for good or bad). 

Just jump in and collect some data for us! :) 

Except ACMEs configurator only goes up to MY 2016 Malibu's... at least Wakemakers has the latest boats in their configurator.

1 minute ago, gregtay said:

Except ACMEs configurator only goes up to MY 2016 Malibu's... at least Wakemakers has the latest boats in their configurator.

Good Point.  Time to pick up the phone and chat with someone at both places.

Just a data point for you, probably not all that useful since I only have a 22 VLX with the 410... but I run a 2249 at 5430' (full pool).  Most of my days are in the 90s, and very low humidity.  Ive got lots of hole shot (it was yanking the handle out of my hands when I was trying to ski (but I am a fat old man (230), like a giant sail in the water).   I pop right out of the water on the surf board.   

Anyway, I am limited on top speed... fairly dramatically.   I top out at 35-36mph wide open unless the water is glass.   I would THINK (but no experience to back it up) that the 3065 prop would  limit top end even more depending on the gear ratio... Which might not be an issue at all, just an observation.  If I am pulling a skier, especially slalom, the boat is running at pretty high RPMs.   

5 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Just a data point for you, probably not all that useful since I only have a 22 VLX with the 410... but I run a 2249 at 5430' (full pool).  Most of my days are in the 90s, and very low humidity.  Ive got lots of hole shot (it was yanking the handle out of my hands when I was trying to ski (but I am a fat old man (230), like a giant sail in the water).   I pop right out of the water on the surf board.   

Anyway, I am limited on top speed... fairly dramatically.   I top out at 35-36mph wide open unless the water is glass.   I would THINK (but no experience to back it up) that the 3065 prop would  limit top end even more depending on the gear ratio... Which might not be an issue at all, just an observation.  If I am pulling a skier, especially slalom, the boat is running at pretty high RPMs.   

That’s my concern. I don’t want to give too much up on the RPM and noise factor. Trying to find a good medium for a spare. 

1 minute ago, Raleigh said:

That’s my concern. I don’t want to give too much up on the RPM and noise factor. Trying to find a good medium for a spare. 

With my ideal crew (8-9), full or nearly full ballast (I tune it for how many crew, where they are sitting, the VLX LOVES bow weight).   11.2 MPH surf speed, I can keep RPMs between 3800 and 4000.   I would love to see it lower, but at my altitude, Im afraid if I propped it with more bite, that I might lose a lot of hole shot, and take a long time to get up on plane.

I bought a spare this spring, I THOUGHT about trying more bite, then thought better of it and stuck with the 2249.      Depending on which engine you have you might be able to get away with it.   Just as another data point tho, I compared that torque curves of the 410 and 450, and they lay right on top of each other up to 3800 RPM.   Since I dont like to run much higher than that, I just stuck with the 410 - the 450 just didnt give me the bang for the buck - at least for MY use.   Would have been more of an issue if I was doing a lot of slalom, under which condition I might have gone with a more aggressive prop so that my RPMs were lower at slalom speed.   For my money, it was the 410, or the 575, and the 575 was a PRICEY move.