Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking about buying one

PJKan

Looking to get into a Malibu FSV21.  It is a 2002 with 696 hours on it.  How long should I expect the engine to last?  The boat is in immaculate condition on the outside which leads me to believe the boat was very well cared for.  It was a one owner boat. 

How a boat has been cared for is EVERYTHING.   A well maintained boat will go a LONG LONG way.  A neglected boat will almost surely cause endless problems and be a money sink.... no surprises there I am sure.

When I bought my first boat almost 8 years ago, I was buying a 17 year old Crownline.  It looked great.   I asked for maintenance records, the previous owner showed me everything.   Not surprising for that age of boat,  there had been some issues, nothing serious - carburetor rebuild, so work on the lower unit, etc.    For me the REALLY telling moment was that I asked him to show me the maintenance points.   For context, this was a 70 year old grandfather who was selling the boat because his grand-kids had grown and moved away,  and his mobility was becoming pretty limited, but he crawled up into the boat, and walked me through EVERYTHING.   I didnt really need that, but what it told me was that HE knew, and had been keeping up to it.   He talked me through winterization.  Drains.  Oil Changes.   Lube points.  Electrical.  What he did with the interior to protect it.   What he did to the Gel to keep it nice.   He gave me a bucket of waterproofer for the cover - he had done it the year before, and felt like it could use it again in the next couple of seasons (it did).    In the end, I was buying HIM as much as I was buying the boat. 

I kept that boat for 3 and a half seasons.   It ran flawlessly, never letting me down.  We made countless family cherished memories.   It proved to me that the old "Two best days" cliche was pure unadulterated BS.    When I bought the VLX (custom built), I traded the Crownline in, and dropped it off about three months before the VLX build was complete.   I was devastated when I drove away from it... so many good memories, and no real issues. 

Now... once the VLX came in, there was no sadness left... and I now maintain it meticulously.   Into my fourth season, not so much as a hint of trouble (knocking wood now :lol:).   I know how well it has been maintained, and I can prove it. with complete records, including a spreadsheet where I keep a log - including every time I hear a weird sound, or anything I have ever fixed, or improved on the boat.   I expect to keep this boat for a long time to come, but if I ever do replace it, Ill be able to show a prospective buying what they are getting.

formulaben
On 6/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, JeffC said:

I kept that boat for 3 and a half seasons.   It ran flawlessly, never letting me down.  We made countless family cherished memories.   It proved to me that the old "Two best days" cliche was pure unadulterated BS.    When I bought the VLX (custom built), I traded the Crownline in, and dropped it off about three months before the VLX build was complete.   I was devastated when I drove away from it... so many good memories, and no real issues. 

I know this day will come for me.  I just hope the following paragraph applies too...

4 hours ago, formulaben said:

I know this day will come for me.  I just hope the following paragraph applies too...

Its funny, I really dont get attached to cars, or another else material that I can think of.   But the boat... oh man.   When the VLX departs, either there better be a shiny new 25LSV in the driveway, or the old man may be choking up for a WHILE.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, JeffC said:

Its funny, I really dont get attached to cars, or another else material that I can think of.   But the boat... oh man.   When the VLX departs, either there better be a shiny new 25LSV in the driveway, or the old man may be choking up for a WHILE.

I dont get attached to physical property. It can all be replaced. But I will ALWAYS be on the water!

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 2