Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T22 PCM 409 DIY oil change

Does anyone use something like the Jabsco oil extraction pump for doing their own oil changes?  Just curious about inserting the tube into the dipstick hole.  I'd like to use this pump but was curious if it would be better to create a fitting that would screw onto the oil drain hose and siphon it out that way.  Just curious to see what others are doing.  Boat is kept in dry storage at my marina/dealer and they normally perform the oil changes for me but I feel like I can save some money and do a better job.  In the past I have had trouble with them overfilling with oil.  

I'd prefer a way to change the oil with it in the water and not have to put the boat on the trailer.

Just curious, thanks!

Adam  

I would avoid sticking the extraction pump tube down the dipstick hole; I've heard horror stories of them getting stuck.  I insert the extraction pump tube into the oil drain hose and pump it out that way.  

• Like 1

I use a MityVac oil extractor to remove the oil from my T22.  I bought a NPT to hose barb fitting that fits on the NPT fitting end of the oil drain hose.  I attach one end of a piece of nylon house to the barb fitting, and the other end I attach to the extractor.

Get the engine oil hot by running the engine (with a fake a lake attached of course), and then the oil extracts easily.

• 3 weeks later...

As a followup, bought a manual pump similar to the MityVac, used a small scrap piece of tubing that fit over the threaded end of the oil drain hose, had to stretch it a little, and secured it with a hose clamp.  The extraction hose on the pump was secured to the other end of the tubing with a hose clamp as well and sucked the oil out no problem.  Used a gallon ziplock bag around the filter to catch it and any oil that ran out.  Super easy and didn't spill a drop.

Appreciate the suggestions!

Adam