Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Vride Stereo Upgrade Help

NCVride

Looking at redo-ing my stereo in my V-ride.    I am probably going to gut the entire system.  I'm not one of those guys who is going to spend thousands on a stereo system.   Just want good in-boat sound for us when we are on the lake.  I'm pretty tech savvy but not a pro.   I've put systems and subs in cars but that was always a 4 speaker and sub setup.  Trying to get some ideas so I can get a budget together.

In-boats - 6 - already have those narrowed down to what I want.

Tower Speakers - Illusion Tower  - guess I have to use  the original cans unless there is a way to mount different ones???     I want good sound, don't want to project to wakeboarders, just want clarity at surf distance with independent volume control....currently have one of the PAC volume control knobs on my tower speakers and it seems to have functioned well.

Head Unit - Bluetooth, single din as I am going to keep it in factory location under the armrest by the throttle.

Sub - Will be mounted at driver footrest - suggestions on size and type?

Amps - running 6 inboats, 2 tower and 1 sub, what's the best route to go with amps?   How many amps?  How many channels?  I can figure the wattage once I have my speaker set up figured out.

Lastly, I know "marine" components add cost......My boat is scared of rain, it melts when wet.   Seriously my boat is always on a lift covered so it never gets drenched, so do I really need "marine"?

Thanks in advance, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here.

2 hours ago, NCVride said:

Seriously my boat is always on a lift covered so it never gets drenched, so do I really need "marine"?

This is a good reason to go with marine amps and media unit. This can be a humid environment. 

Sub - Will be mounted at driver footrest - suggestions on size and type?

12" in either a custom sealed or ported. Ported will yield more output. 

Tower Speakers - Illusion Tower  - guess I have to use  the original cans unless there is a way to mount different ones??? 

There are a few that will mount to the factory threaded holes on the illusion tower. 

3 hours ago, NCVride said:

I want good sound, don't want to project to wakeboarders, just want clarity at surf distance with independent volume control

I go with a pair 8" coaxials at the least. With solid wattage, these will do well for surf and party cove. 

If you stick with the simple line level POT for zone volume, id consider running it on the in-boat amp. This allows for the in-boat volume to be dialed back, while cranking the tower volume 

3 hours ago, NCVride said:

Amps

A 5 or 6 channel amp would do well for 3 pair of in-boats and a woofer, but ultimately, the woofer choice would be the driving factor. A bridged 4 chnl will get you good wattage for tower speakers

2 hours ago, MLA said:

This is a good reason to go with marine amps and media unit. This can be a humid environment. 

12" in either a custom sealed or ported. Ported will yield more output. 

There are a few that will mount to the factory threaded holes on the illusion tower. 

I go with a pair 8" coaxials at the least. With solid wattage, these will do well for surf and party cove. 

If you stick with the simple line level POT for zone volume, id consider running it on the in-boat amp. This allows for the in-boat volume to be dialed back, while cranking the tower volume 

A 5 or 6 channel amp would do well for 3 pair of in-boats and a woofer, but ultimately, the woofer choice would be the driving factor. A bridged 4 chnl will get you good wattage for tower speakers

Thanks @MLA   I’m sure as I get further in I may have a couple questions.  

On 6/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, MLA said:

@MLA, any suggestions here?  I am having a hard time finding any.  TIA

NCVride -- i'm in the same boat... sort of.  I have a 2008 Vride with a stock set up.  I want to add a few speakers in the cabin and maybe 2 on my illusion tower.  Maybe a sub, but not because I want to bump it across the lake...just some decent sound for when were in the boat.  Curious if you have gotten anywhere with your planning.... any tips would be appreciated.  Have you added a 2nd battery to your boat to handle the additional electrical requirements?

Awful idea leaving the head unit under the arm rest.  Worst place possible for it.  It is cheap and easy to relocate to under the dash where it belongs.  Maybe a $20 job if you have to buy some butt connectors and zip ties.

DSC03948.jpg

11 hours ago, holymoly10 said:

Have you added a 2nd battery to your boat to handle the additional electrical requirements?

Im a huge fan of dual banks, regardless of audio. I like the piece of mind of having that 2nd bank for emergencies. With good alternator and battery, one battery is all thats really needed to power the entire boat. But if you want to drop anchor for more then 30 mins, a 2nd bank is a must. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 5:46 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Awful idea leaving the head unit under the arm rest.  Worst place possible for it.  It is cheap and easy to relocate to under the dash where it belongs.  Maybe a $20 job if you have to buy some butt connectors and zip ties.

Nitrousbird

I used to have that Alpine in my truck!  I want to move my head unit on my 06 23 LSV, but mounting under the dash looks tricky.  I have the side, and the vertical ledge under the dash.  I'll have to get creative to make sure it's solid.  Can't wait to just glance down to change the radio, instead of messing with the arm rest.

14 minutes ago, Juice75 said:

Nitrousbird

I used to have that Alpine in my truck!  I want to move my head unit on my 06 23 LSV, but mounting under the dash looks tricky.  I have the side, and the vertical ledge under the dash.  I'll have to get creative to make sure it's solid.  Can't wait to just glance down to change the radio, instead of messing with the arm rest.

Just upgraded to a Fusion in the same spot this past week:

20200627-102228.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

curious as to whether or not that Fusion Head Unit would fit under the armrest.  IIRC, there is not a ton of clearance under the armrest and the Fusions units used to be a little "tall".  I'd be running three remotes, so seeing the head unit is not a big issue for me.

2007 247 LSV 

• 2 years later...
On 6/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, NCVride said:

Head Unit - Bluetooth, single din as I am going to keep it in factory location under the armrest by the throttle.

Kenwood and Clarion offer units that will fit and also have the wired remote options