Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My speedo and tach gauges dont work?

I bought a 2004 malibu sporster  lx.  My speedometer and tac are not working, but all other gauges work including perfect pass    Could the paddle wheel kicked the bucket?  I see it next to the drain plug under the boat, it has one black wire attached to it. Where does it go from there  , does it attach to the speedo directly or does it go somewhere else?  Is it a fuse? Did something go out?  Did a line get plug?  Why did the tac go out too?  Thx

Do the gauges sweep the face at power-up? Have you checked the connections?  Swap the plug from the working gauge to the tach and speedo to see if that fixes the issue.  My guess is the MDC is kaput.  And that means Ka-ching!

4 hours ago, 2004 said:

How can you test the MDC and who has the best price for one?

RonTanis at skiboatpartsonline.com can test it, and replace it, but frankly you better be sitting down when you hear the cost of this disposable item.  If you have a dead gauge as well, you should just buy Ron's Faria old skool replacement set.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 2004 said:

You would think if the MDC kicked the bucket other gauges would be out too

These things are mysterious.  Some gauges will work, others will not. My tach was dead 3 years ago, then 2 years later the speedo died then last year the 4-1 gauge died.  I ran every test you could on the MDC and hit the correct voltage every time but when hooked up to a load (gauge) it wouldn’t work.  Cause could be one bad gauge, multiple bad gauges or bad MDC or a mix of all those.  

After doing hours upon hours of research I realized Replacing the MDC and gauges was just to expensive and no guarantee I’d have better results.  

@Eagleboy99 told me about the Ron Tanis analog conversion.  I looked into it and truly was the best option both in price, accuracy and longevity.  Downside...it’s not OEM.  I’m OCD...it bugs me I don’t have original gauges but these a truly a better option.  

5B2464AC-E6AA-400E-AC49-CE7AE770B44D.jpeg

AE719887-A8F8-40A9-87E7-A672E9458348.jpeg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

.it bugs me I don’t have original gauges but these a truly a better option.

A bit the same here, but I also used the opportubity to go white faced gauges (Can I say that or have I kicked up a murder hornet's nest?  ;) )

To remove the plastic around the gauges I see three screws on top, how many more screws under the dash do I need to remove to get this out

1 hour ago, 2004 said:

To remove the plastic around the gauges I see three screws on top, how many more screws under the dash do I need to remove to get this out

Are you speaking of the bezel rings?  

Just remove the entire dash and there will be a couple of  tensioning screws on the back of the gauge.  Way easier than trying to do it from under the dash. Like this  attachment.php?attachmentid=112498&stc=1